Apple iPhone event - October 13

muddyrivers

For those interested in spoilers, here is the details behind what is to be revealed at the event according to a known and very reputable leaker (I couldn't find one article that had all of the leaks so there's multiple links here for the different parts of the announcement -- all info is sourced from the same leaker though):

lazyboy97o

At this point I’m not really sure what could entice me to upgrade. From the iPhone 4S to the iPhone X, I was consistently on the tock cycle, but the XR and 11 just didn’t seem worth it. My battery is starting to show signs of aging but it’s $69 to have it replaced by Apple.

Magnets to align wireless chargers is a feature I miss from my Palm Pre but I’ve managed for nearly a decade.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't justify $300 for a Homepod. I would love one, but my wife would murder me.

$99 for the mini though is the sweet spot.
They are way under $300 if you keep an eye out for deals. Best Buy routinely has them for $199.

useful site for price tracking

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
They are way under $300 if you keep an eye out for deals. Best Buy routinely has them for $199.

useful site for price tracking

Macrumors is what I'm using to 'watch' the announcements this morning. I just don't think I ever look closely enough for the Homepod sales when they happen.

I grabbed a Google Home Max(?) when it sent on sale at Best Buy for like $40 a few months ago. That thing has got some kick to it.

lazyboy97o

Anyone else find it odd that Apple subsidiary Beats announced new low-cost earbuds during the iPhone event? The price seems good. Of course switching to USB-C only highlights that the iPhone has not made the switch.

Jon81uk

Genuine curiosity: what does the home pod mini do for $99 that the Echo Dot doesn't for $18 for prime members right now?
Better integration into the Apple ecosystem rather than the Alexa one.
Siri will recognise your voice and read out your calender, reminders etc but also recognise family and read out theirs. Alexa requires changing accounts by asking for that to happen.
Better sound quality will be the big difference, the HomePod mini is probably closer to the original echo that was over $100 and the big HomePod is more like the Echo Studio or a Sonos device.

I use Alexa a lot to control Hue lights and similar. But what Apple showed with Siri answering specific people in relation to their own information is better as the integration with iPhone is better.

StarWarsGirl

Better integration into the Apple ecosystem rather than the Alexa one.
Siri will recognise your voice and read out your calender, reminders etc but also recognise family and read out theirs. Alexa requires changing accounts by asking for that to happen.
Better sound quality will be the big difference, the HomePod mini is probably closer to the original echo that was over $100 and the big HomePod is more like the Echo Studio or a Sonos device.

I use Alexa a lot to control Hue lights and similar. But what Apple showed with Siri answering specific people in relation to their own information is better as the integration with iPhone is better.
Gotcha.

You would think that the price point is a bit steep, though. We have Echos in about every room, and in mine, to get around the sound quality issue, I have it plugged into external speakers. It certainly has taken Apple long enough to enter the market. And then it's useless in a mixed family like mine (I use Android, my parents use Apple).

Of course, I say that about their price point, and inevitably people buy their stuff anyway.

Jon81uk

It certainly has taken Apple long enough to enter the market. And then it's useless in a mixed family like mine (I use Android, my parents use Apple).

Well technically they entered the market in 2017 with the original HomePod, but due to the higher price I don't think there was much interest due to the higher price point and many people already had Sonos or Echo devices.

But yes Apple are definitely aiming at a household where a majority have Apple devices. The want the consumer who is already bought into the Apple ecosystem.

D4vids0n1987

I love apple, I have apple everything. Computer, and iPad, and iPhone. And Apple TV. However, I opted for Sonos speakers. Not only do they work with other devices besides apple. But they also work with more than one service.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Received my iPhone 12 Pro and love it. I came from an iPhone X, so it's not like I had a bad phone by any stretch of the imagination. I had some technical issues with the phone so for the past 15-18 months, it hasn't worked quite right. So just having a phone work as intended is amazing.

I'm surprised by how much weight this thing has, but not in a bad way. It feels 'pro' like. In addition, the camera system is simply amazing. That's the biggest reason I grabbed it (with a family, photos are everything) and the quality level is outstanding.

My wife went from an iPhone 8+ to the iPhone 12 Pro and that has been a significant change for her. I think she's happy with the decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom