AP Question

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
My sister and I have been visiting WDW every New Years for the past six years, but this year will be our first as annual passholders. Usually we have to get to the MK by opening to be sure that we can get in the park before it closes due to capacity. I know of the phased closings and that up until phase 4 (I think?) annual passholders can get in. My question is this: How do we get to the MK if its in a phase less than 4? We always stay in Disney hotels but anytime the MK closes I don't see buses running to the park, only from. Any info would be appreciated because as much as I enjoy spending 17 straight hours in the MK, I'd like to sleep in some!

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
In the past we haven't stayed at any MK resorts, but this year we're hoping to stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

timeman

I know I wouldn't do the magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve. Last year I did the Magic Kingdom the day before New Year's Eve and went to Epcot on New Year's Eve. Epcot was packed but plenty of Elbow room. You had to get your Fastpass early and there were lines for those. I got to Epcot at 9am and was able to fastpasses for Soarin', Test Track & Mission Space within 30 minutes because they had castmembers handing out the fastpasses because of the lines.

I did watch the New Year's Eve fireworks at the magic Kingdom the night before when they tested them and was able to see the New Year's Eve fireworks at Epcot on New Year's Eve. The best viewing spot for the New Year's Eve fireworks at the Magic Kingdom is not in the park. You need to go to one of the resorts surrounding the lagoon to get the best view. I watched the fireworks from the lounge of the California Grill on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort. They shoot fireworks off around the lagoon for the New Year's Eve fireworks at midnight and if you are in the park you will miss these since you will be looking at the castle.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The best viewing spot for the New Year's Eve fireworks at the Magic Kingdom is not in the park. You need to go to one of the resorts surrounding the lagoon to get the best view. I watched the fireworks from the lounge of the California Grill on the top floor of the Contemporary Resort. They shoot fireworks off around the lagoon for the New Year's Eve fireworks at midnight and if you are in the park you will miss these since you will be looking at the castle.

It's great to see them from outside, but its pretty cool inside too. Its a cool effect to be surrounded by pyro. You just have to swivel on the spot :)

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
Another quick question: are AP rates usually available around New Year's? We want to go ahead and reserve our room but if we have to wait for AP discounts we'll do that.

mousefan1972

Another quick question: are AP rates usually available around New Year's? We want to go ahead and reserve our room but if we have to wait for AP discounts we'll do that.

Usually not. Last year's AP discount was valid through December 23rd, then started back up again January 1st.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom