AP MagicBands

retroeric

Original Poster
How stupid is it that you cannot get AP discounts throughout the park unless you have your actual AP card. The MagicBand alone is not good enough.

My AP information is on the MagicBand! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get into the park. So it's good enough to get me into the park, but not to get AP discounts? Makes no sense.

JimW

Premium Member
How stupid is it that you cannot get AP discounts throughout the park unless you have your actual AP card. The MagicBand alone is not good enough.

My AP information is on the MagicBand! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get into the park. So it's good enough to get me into the park, but not to get AP discounts? Makes no sense.
We've been able to get around this by showing our AP information through MDE. Not only has it always been accepted as proof of the discount, it was actually suggested by a couple of stores before we started proactively started showing it.

Pro tip: If you take a screenshot of your AP information through the MDE app, it will be accepted, and will also load MUCH faster.

retroeric

Original Poster
We've been able to get around this by showing our AP information through MDE. Not only has it always been accepted as proof of the discount, it was actually suggested by a couple of stores before we started proactively started showing it.

Pro tip: If you take a screenshot of your AP information through the MDE app, it will be accepted, and will also load MUCH faster.
It's a nice tip, but I thought the MagicBands were hyped as being the only thing you need to bring into the parks- You get your admission with it. You can get FastPass with it. You can pay your food bill with it. You can buy your merchandise with it.

It makes no sense that Disney can't program the readers to see that someone's an AP. It's capable of seeing a credit card number, but not an AP number?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

People could just trade bands with each other is the reason I assume it's this way. A lot of times when they check my AP card they make me show my license along side of it. Oddly enough though I've had them notice my little DVC slider thing on my MB and give me a DVC discount without even checking my DVC card.

Tall Todd

The MagicBand itself isn't enough to get you into the park. You also need to do a finger scan to verify identity, which is what they are doing when they ask for the AP card. I don't have one myself, yet, but I assume they have a photo on the card.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The MagicBand itself isn't enough to get you into the park. You also need to do a finger scan to verify identity, which is what they are doing when they ask for the AP card. I don't have one myself, yet, but I assume they have a photo on the card.

There is no photo on the AP card. You need to use a photo ID in addition to the AP card.

retroeric

Original Poster
The MagicBand itself isn't enough to get you into the park. You also need to do a finger scan to verify identity, which is what they are doing when they ask for the AP card.
Yes but a fingerprint is easy. It doesn't involve bringing anything else into the park.

MickeyMomV

It makes no sense that Disney can't program the readers to see that someone's an AP. It's capable of seeing a credit card number, but not an AP number?
There are NO numbers stored on the MB. It only points to you being a resort guest with room charging privileges. You are correct though there seems like there has to be a better way.

Phonedave

You do not need a photo ID to enter the park, your MB and a successful finger scan is all that is needed. The finger scan makes certain that you are you, and the MB ID# tracked back to the big ol' database of park media verifys your AP status.

They also know if you are a DVC member.

They *could* do this at merchandise locations, but that means they would have to install a finger scanner at mechandise locations. Otherwise, as others have said, you could just give your band to somone once you enter the park, and they could use it to claim an AP discount.

-dave

GlassHalfFull

if the system at least displayed your name with the MB when you scan it it could at least cut down the abuse to people who have the same name as their parents when they show ID

lazyboy97o

You do not need a photo ID to enter the park, your MB and a successful finger scan is all that is needed. The finger scan makes certain that you are you, and the MB ID# tracked back to the big ol' database of park media verifys your AP status.

They also know if you are a DVC member.

They *could* do this at merchandise locations, but that means they would have to install a finger scanner at mechandise locations. Otherwise, as others have said, you could just give your band to somone once you enter the park, and they could use it to claim an AP discount.

-dave
Photos on the pass holder card could also be used. Or a photo in the app right there with your tickets. Or even linking credit cards that have to match your name and addresses. There are many routes that could be easier than showing two separate pieces of information.

Sean23

I was at Fort Widerness the other week and went into the country store to buy something, they asked me if I had any discounts. The band would not work but pulled up the app on my phone and did not even check for ID, got 20% off.

Sky

I ran into this the other day. I’ve been an AP for the last year and a half, however I booked a CBR reservation with a friend a few months ago. They sent me another magic band (which seemed odd at the time) but I used it during the trip as it was the updated version of the standard MagicBand. Skip ahead to last month and I use that same MB and it stopped at the gate. CM’s told me it was linked to the hotel reservation and not my AP account (however how would I have gotten into the park with just a hotel reservation and no pass?).

There seems to be quite a few cross-referencing hiccups with the MB’s that I’m still shocked haven’t been straightened out.

Gringrinngghost

It sounds like you would have an issue if they allowed the AP discounts to use the magic band but need to verify your biometrics to not use your card.

Damon7777

Disney paid approx $1 billion to create this "magic band" program **ostensibly** to improve the guest experience by streamlining and simplifying: park entry, FP's, dining reservations, hotel stays and purchases.

They market the program with such language as "travel lighter throughout your vacation" and then they pull this underhanded and contradictory move by mandating an AP card and gov't issued ID to avail discounts.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom