AP discounts for the resorts

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Hey guys and gals! We're currently planning a cruise in November but if my sisters company strikes in August, we might have to change our plans. Looking at Disneyland as a backup since we enjoyed it so much in April! :) We're looking at 6 days in the parks if we go and going to purchase an AP since we plan on returning again in 2015. Quick question on the discounts offered for APs at the resorts.. How much do the discounts usually run? I tried checking online but it tells me I have to enter my AP number but I don't have one yet. Do they ever offer just general public discounts? We'd like to stay on property if possible s any info anyone can give me would be awesome! :)

GiveMeTheMusic

Hey guys and gals! We're currently planning a cruise in November but if my sisters company strikes in August, we might have to change our plans. Looking at Disneyland as a backup since we enjoyed it so much in April! :) We're looking at 6 days in the parks if we go and going to purchase an AP since we plan on returning again in 2015. Quick question on the discounts offered for APs at the resorts.. How much do the discounts usually run? I tried checking online but it tells me I have to enter my AP number but I don't have one yet. Do they ever offer just general public discounts? We'd like to stay on property if possible s any info anyone can give me would be awesome! :)

General public discounts are pretty rare, as DLR's hotels run full almost year-round. AP discounts aren't usually anything substantial (usually around 10%), again because the resorts fill up on their own.

wild01ride

...but 10% is better than nothing when you're paying DLR hotel rates!

In general, the DLR hotels are pretty outrageously priced.
That said, the Grand Californian is the most outrageously priced of them all, although it is also the most amazing location possible for enjoying the resort experience at DLR!
It's really hard to stomach the cost (or even hear the cost) of Grand Californian, although there is definitely no experience like it.

When I've visited as a side trip from business travel, I've always stayed off-site, however when travelling with friends and family, staying on-site can't be beat!

From reading your other Trip Reports, I can see that you all are flexible and can go with the flow, but if you have your heart set on staying on-site, don't compromise! :)

Let us know how the trip goes!

GiveMeTheMusic

I would posit that the Grand's only advantage is its location. Sure the lobby is gorgeous, but you don't sleep there. The rooms are just as nice as any at a Hyatt or Marriott, albeit slightly themed. Having stayed at the Grand Floridian and other Deluxe resorts at WDW, there's no comparison - the rooms are much nicer and better themed at WDW's top tier resorts.

But the Grand offers you that private entrance to DCA and a short walk to DL. If location is tops for you, then stay there. Otherwise, I'd recommend off-site as well.

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone! We would really LOVE to stay at the GC just once, or even the DLH. We really want to have that extra hour in the morning before the crowds get there. I have booked us at the del Sol Inn right across the street from the parks just so we would have something while we wait for the outcome of my sisters work. And it is MUCH cheaper than any of the DL resorts! ;) lol

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Also, does anyone know if we will be able to cross the esplanade if we decide to head to Trader Sam's after the parks close and then want to walk back through DTD across to our hotel on Harbour? I know you have to go through a bag check to get through but I wasn't sure if there is a time that completely closes for the night...

Californian Elitist

Also, does anyone know if we will be able to cross the esplanade if we decide to head to Trader Sam's after the parks close and then want to walk back through DTD across to our hotel on Harbour? I know you have to go through a bag check to get through but I wasn't sure if there is a time that completely closes for the night...

Yes, you'll be able to do that.

sweetpee_1993

I'll be the oddball. @derelicte19, you know how we are. It's not about parks for us. Its relaxation, the mental check-out, and overall fun. We are miserable if we try to do a park morning thru evening. We need the accommodations to give us the full resort experience because we do spend significant time there. We pretty much decided if we can't get a decent rate at the GC we'd just not go. So far the 10% isn't enough. We're watching just as we're watching the cruise discounts. My prediction? My DL AP won't see more than the 6 days it's been used. ;) After food, hotel, etc. we can do 10 nights cruising vs 7 in the parks dodging crowds. :D

wild01ride

I would posit that the Grand's only advantage is its location. Sure the lobby is gorgeous, but you don't sleep there. The rooms are just as nice as any at a Hyatt or Marriott, albeit slightly themed. Having stayed at the Grand Floridian and other Deluxe resorts at WDW, there's no comparison - the rooms are much nicer and better themed at WDW's top tier resorts.

But the Grand offers you that private entrance to DCA and a short walk to DL. If location is tops for you, then stay there. Otherwise, I'd recommend off-site as well.

Ehhh....
I slightly disagree...

I'll repeat from my previous post: yes, the Grand Californian is expensive. There's no doubt about it.
As for the rooms being comparable to a Hyatt or Marriot, that is mostly true, except for the fact that the Hyatt and Marriot don't have the immersion that the GC has (Mickey soap, Resort TV, Mousekeeping, Pixie Dust all around...).

I'm having a tough time agreeing with the WDW/DLR resort hotel comparison though. I am an absolute WDW lifer. That said, I have a special place in my heart for DLR. I've stayed at Poly (albeit years back...before they obliterated the poor fountain in the lobby) as well as Contemporary, Boardwalk (my favorite WDW resort), Beach Club and Yacht Club. I haven't stayed at Grand Floridian, although I visited my Grandparents years ago when they stayed there.

There's nothing that sticks out in my mind as being better about the WDW resorts than the GC. If anything, I have honestly been disappointed in several cases about the state of disrepair of some of the rooms at Deluxe resorts at WDW (goes along with the standard theme of WDW's semi-recent history...)

Anyhow, none of the WDW resorts put you overlooking DTD or the Parks, for that matter! I've watched the fireworks, Castle show, etc. from The Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower (as well as from The California Grille...and the original "Top of the World" before its name was changed to California Grille...).

No matter what, I just can't compare the experience of the Grand Californian to anything that I've experienced at WDW. The reason that Boardwalk is my favorite WDW resort is because you're a short walk to Epcot or DHS (most importantly, Epcot - you can enjoy Illuminations and take a relaxing stroll back to the hotel without the need to get on a crowded bus to get back to your resort). But there are no resorts that have a breezeway in the hotel that dumps you into the Park!

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. Everyone likes their own thing for a reason. I have always loved WDW, but if there's ever an opportunity to stay at Grand Californian, I'll take it!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
I'll be the oddball. @derelicte19, you know how we are. It's not about parks for us. Its relaxation, the mental check-out, and overall fun. We are miserable if we try to do a park morning thru evening. We need the accommodations to give us the full resort experience because we do spend significant time there. We pretty much decided if we can't get a decent rate at the GC we'd just not go. So far the 10% isn't enough. We're watching just as we're watching the cruise discounts. My prediction? My DL AP won't see more than the 6 days it's been used. ;) After food, hotel, etc. we can do 10 nights cruising vs 7 in the parks dodging crowds. :D

And the thing is Kelly, this time I know we will be going back to the resort during the day for a rest. Normally, we don't. But I really want to be able to stay after the parks close to set up my tripod and take photos and if we go park open to park close, I know that won't be possible. And I've been slacking on my nighttime photography the last few trips and I want to get back into it. We will have 5 full park days, plus the afternoon/evening of our arrival and we will be taking 1 off day to go check out the Pacific Ocean, Hollywood, etc.. We definitely will be utilizing the resort. Which makes me think it would be worth it for us to stay on site. Overall, including EVERYTHING on our cruise (flights, cruise, excursions, room at BCV after the cruise...) it's coming in at just under $2,600 a person so we have that amount to utilize for DLR. GC is out of the question, even with a discount. DLH would come out right at $2,600. And this includes our flights, transfers, rental car for a day, park tickets and food. Paradise Pier would also be an option but I think I would rather just pay the extra and book DLH if we're going to stay onsite. We LOVED Trader Sam's and the pool looked really cool. Plus we could torture you with nightly pics of our Backside of Water drinks! ;)

But don't get me wrong, we're still hoping and praying Fairpoint doesn't strike so we can go on the cruise. It'll definitely stink if we can't but knowing we have options that are still fun as backup plans makes the whole situation not so bad.

erider

We usually stay at the Paradise Pier hotel. The rooms are really big, and if you just cross the street you are at the main entrance of the Grand Californian. And you can also use their private entrance into DCA. The price of the Paradise Pier is a lot better than the other 2 Disney resorts. But I also love the Grand Californian if price wasn't an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom