Anyone stay at POR-Riverside???

jcat2312

We have recently decided to change from the ASMo to the POR-Riverside for more room and better resort. There are 3 adults and a 5 year old in our party.

Has anyone stayed at Riverside lately? If so, what are you thoughts and feelings on this resort?

How is the bus system between Riverside and the different parks

What are the "cons" of this hotel compared to other moderates or even the values?

Thanks Everyone!!

126 days left!

DisneyPhD

Hey we just got back, (See trip report.) http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=1032002#post1032002

We were wondering if going from Deluxes and DVC to Mod we would be disapointed, we were not.

It is a great resort, the playground is one of the best I have seen on any WDW property. The rooms were clean, lovely, comfortable and quiet. (with fridgeraters in every room. It is very relaxing and romantic, but fun for kids and family friendly. Pool is great, and there a number of them. It is just lovely.

We like AB, we stayed in building #14 and it was great.

I can't say enough good things about the place. This was the 1st time we have stayed there since they changed the name (we were there in 2000) and the 1st time back a mod since having kids. Before we had stayed at every mod on prop and DL (AKA PORS) is still our favorite!

If I can get a good rate again for next year we might do that and save up some DVC points (since we are in a constant state of borrowing right now.)

BTW, don't bother paying for a water view room. We didn't and we got a great room with a great view. I do recomend calling a few days before and making a room request, you might not get it, but it does not hurt to ask nicely!

No cons compared to other values and mods. (it can be big, but if you get a good room that doesn't mater.) Con's compared to Deluxe is you have a lot of walking outside if it rains. The busses are good, but always full. Much more then a deluxe at any time of day. I think this is true of any mod or value (maybe not CS since there are a lot of convention people there.)

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The rooms are nice, the buildings themselves are boring to look at in the alligator bayou section, but the ability to ride down the river at night to Downtown Disney is really nice.

Upvote 0

MinnieSummer

Just came back from our stay at POR and everything went really well. We stayed in the Magnolia Bend section (I request this as I really don't like Alligator Bayou -- it's too dark at night and just seems cluttered somehow) and even though our building was all the way in the back, never found the walk to the food court and lobby to be more than 5 minutes. The main pool is great for the kids and the quiet pools are nice to. The playground is fun as well. Boatwrights is a really great restaurant -- ask for Vinnie to be your waiter, he was wonderful with our 6 year old daughter -- with a varied menu for adults and kids. Overall, if I can't stay at Coronado Springs I will stay here anytime.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

MinnieSummer said:
(I request this as I really don't like Alligator Bayou -- it's too dark at night and just seems cluttered somehow)

If POR has a drawback, that is it. Alligator Bayou is designed to look kinda like a collection of rustic little shacks in the Louisiana swamp. It feels a little disorganized, a little over grown, maybe a little run down. I'm sure it was an interesting challenge for the Imagineers to create a backwoods feel for a "nice" resort. If you go expecting a really nice classy resort, Alligator Bayou can be a little disappointing. But if you keep it in perspective of what it's ment to be, it's very detailed and well done.

Otherwise this has become our favorite moderate resort. We thought Coronado Springs was just too big and too "convention" like. Carribean Beach is more cosy feelings with smaller, lower buildings but can still be a long walk to the pool and food court depending on where you stay.

Upvote 0

saucymb

Port Orleans Riverside is by far my favorite WDW resort. And I absolutely love Alligator Bayou. I like the rustic feel of the place, the room decor, the foliage, and the look of the buildings. Magnolia Bend is okay too, but I'll always choose Alligator Bayou. I can't think of any con's, only good stuff!

Upvote 0

Thrawn

Account Suspended
saucymb said:
Port Orleans Riverside is by far my favorite WDW resort. And I absolutely love Alligator Bayou. I like the rustic feel of the place, the room decor, the foliage, and the look of the buildings. Magnolia Bend is okay too, but I'll always choose Alligator Bayou. I can't think of any con's, only good stuff!

Agreed with everything. Only con I have for POR is that they don't have high speed internet available.

Oh, and its not called Dixie Landings anymore, thats a con too.

Upvote 0

Dizfreak

Love POR!!! Haven't gotten a chance to stay there since they closed for the long refurbishment. Looking forward to a nice long stay in only 5 days!!!!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful and so is the pool area. A very engulfing resort, really transports you to the "Old South".

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there all!!! Belle here weighing in on the beauty, romance and wonder that is PO Riverside!!! I am being a tad mellodramatic here but it really is probably the nicest of the 4 moderates and a far cry from any of the All Stars or Pop. I find the set up to be ideal without too much walking to get to any of the main areas ( Boatwrights, the food court, the lounge etc.) This can be a problem with CB or Coronado. Coronado is the resort I would put second to this one though as the walking isnt a huge issue for me. I occasionally will switch off to French Quarter just for variety but on most mornnings will walk up to Boatwright's for breakfast. It is a lovely resort, very well manicured and certainly enjoyable. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and one of our members had posted a link to her own personal photo gallery. Check it out and let me know what you think: http://home.comcast.net/~candisfl/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
Also sorry I didnt weigh in on the linked thread earlier as Clemson Tigger imagined I would have but I must not have seen it!!!! The Princess of Port Orleans Riverside humbly apologizes!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

jcat2312

Original Poster
Thank you all! We have been debating whether the switch from ASMo to POR would be worth it....I will be calling to change the reservation ASAP!!

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

I'm leaving for PO Riverside on Sunday. Aside from Alligator Bayou, does anyone have a section that they recommend? I've never made a request, but since I'm leaving in a few days, I guess calling and giving it a try wouldn't hurt. I've never stayed there before so I don't know where to request. Let me know what your recommendations are! Thanks :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I Am definitely a Mansions type of chick!!! Check out the link for the photos above and you will have a better idea. Or better yet when you get there, take a walk around the resort if you have time to get a better feel for what you would like!!!! The Mansions will be across a footbridge you can see from the baggage room area on your right. Follow that across and you will see the Mansions. The Bayou rooms are to your left behind the bus stops in front of the Main Buildings. You will love it!!!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

Thanks Belle! I think I would be a Mansions girl as well. Alligator Bayou looks more swampy and just seems like there would be lots of bugs. I definetly don't want to be dodging bugs on my way back to my room at night. The mansions look a bit more romantic as well. Thanks again for the advice :)

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

We have stayed at both and we like AB the best. Smaller, easier to get to the rooms.

They spray pretty well for bugs, we never saw any.

I don't know if the Mansions have elevators, you could end up on the 3rd floor so be careful that way.

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

DisneyPhD said:
I don't know if the Mansions have elevators, you could end up on the 3rd floor so be careful that way.

I didn't think of that...I already called and requested the Magnolia Bend mansions. From what I'm hearing from others, I will most likely like the resort and stay there again in the future. Maybe we'll try AB next time.
Thanks for the input :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The Mansions DEFINITELY Have elevators I was on the thrid floor ( Nice and quiet actually) on my last trip and just around the corner from the elevators!!! Very convienient!!!! Belle
P.S. Dont forget to go to Boatweright's the very first morning of your trip for breakfast. Trust me you wont want to eat anywhere else after that!!!!!! Banana Stuffed French Toast, BluePrint Omlets, Blueberry pancakes ( My personal Fav!!!) This is the BEST ala carte breakfast on property

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom