anyone remember Osborne lights when..?

Simba’s Mom

Original Poster
To me, the best memories I have of the Osborne Lights are when they were on the houses in the area where Lights, Motor, Action was. Thus I was really surprised when all the pictures of the Osborne Lights on wdwmagic's home page were from when they were on the buildings at the Streets of America. I especially remember when they had the Annual Passholders' Preview (with free cocoa and cookies) as you wandered among the street of houses. Does anyone else remember this "display" of the Osborne Lights? That's the way I loved to see them displayed.

Club Cooloholic

To me, the best memories I have of the Osborne Lights are when they were on the houses in the area where Lights, Motor, Action was. Thus I was really surprised when all the pictures of the Osborne Lights on wdwmagic's home page were from when they were on the buildings at the Streets of America. I especially remember when they had the Annual Passholders' Preview (with free cocoa and cookies) as you wandered among the street of houses. Does anyone else remember this "display" of the Osborne Lights? That's the way I loved to see them displayed.
Any pics? I only saw them once, and they were in the Streets of America area.

Rosanne

OMG - We went every single year to see the Osborne Lights from 2000 (when we moved to FL) until they closed. I could cry just thinking about not ever going again. It finally did feel like Christmas in Florida. All of the beautiful lights, Carolers and even snow falling. It makes me sick to think its been replaced by Star Wars.

I do remember this! It was so neat to turn the corner and walk into a wonderland! It was beautiful when they moved it to SoA, but it was so cool to walk through the original neighborhoo.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Yes I remember this. (And you received free glasses)
I enjoyed it and then bye bye went the houses to make way for LMA which I did not care for.
I did also enjoy it in all its glory purely on Streets of America UNTIL they started making it an "attraction" where you waited in line and were forced to keep walking through instead of waiting for the dancing part.

epcotisbest

It was fun walking along Residential Street, looking for the hidden cat, listening to the music and more. We used to take at least two strolls through the area each time. One year (or maybe more, not sure) they handed out some special glasses that when you looked at the lights it made little angels appear and one time, snowflakes I think it was.
Even though they were not real houses, or a real neighborhood, but just facades, it certainly felt like walking through a real neighborhood.
Fun times.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Found an old, online map showing where Residential Street was.

1993-5.jpg

epcotisbest

Any pics? I only saw them once, and they were in the Streets of America area.

A forum member posted some pics in this previous thread.

Dizknee_Phreek

I remember! It was so much better on Residential Street, in my opinion. Gave you more area to stroll and see different things. It was impressive on Streets of America, but it was almost too much crammed together.

Club Cooloholic

A forum member posted some pics in this previous thread.

Awesome, just liked something that probably hasn't gotten one in 10 years lol

surfsupdon

Yes indeed, the Osborne Lights on Residential Street felt more Americana, more festive, more realistic as small town America. Each home/property had its own theme.

When the Lights moved to the City (after a year off!!), it became more of a show, more of a wow factor.

Both were good in their own way. I prefer Residential Street. But did not dislike the City vibe.

But NOTHING was better than running through them during a runDisney race!!!

ppete1975

OMG - We went every single year to see the Osborne Lights from 2000 (when we moved to FL) until they closed. I could cry just thinking about not ever going again. It finally did feel like Christmas in Florida. All of the beautiful lights, Carolers and even snow falling. It makes me sick to think its been replaced by Star Wars.
Star wars had nothing to do with their removal

Rosanne

Star wars had nothing to do with their removal
That's whats there now in that area, isnt it? Then why did they stop the lights? They were a big draw for the Studios. I hope they change the name of "Hollywood Studios" because there arent any studios there anymore.

JIMINYCR

I think of all the things that have disapeared from Disney over the years... The Osborne lights and musical show is the one that I'll never get over. The light show was so spectacular and really made our Christmas. Walking around the streets, gazing at the details, looking for the elusive black cat, just put you in the frame of mind that all was right and peaceful. A shame when the decision was made to move on and discard the show.

Simba’s Mom

Original Poster
Yes indeed, the Osborne Lights on Residential Street felt more Americana, more festive, more realistic as small town America. Each home/property had its own theme.

When the Lights moved to the City (after a year off!!), it became more of a show, more of a wow factor.

Both were good in their own way. I prefer Residential Street. But did not dislike the City vibe.

But NOTHING was better than running through them during a runDisney race!!!

Ah, yes-DH still has fond memories of running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon (when it was at night in October) and Disney had put up the lights and lit them just for the runners (2011?)

surfsupdon

Ah, yes-DH still has fond memories of running the Wine and Dine Half Marathon (when it was at night in October) and Disney had put up the lights and lit them just for the runners (2011?)
Indeed. Each race that was held at night, we got to run through the Lights. Incredible! Started in 2010 and went for a few years before the lackluster morning race change.

correcaminos

I saw quite a few versions of the Osborne lights but honestly the original on the houses were my favorite. It wasn't as hectic or crowded feeling. It was quaint, fun, and pretty. I got over the Streets of America version really quick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom