Anyone know what this concept art is from?

lilclerk

Original Poster
On my trip a couple weeks ago, I stopped at the Art On Demand kiosk in DHS to get a couple attraction poster prints as usual. They now include some concept art prints. I got this one, thinking from the tiny thumbnail they show that it was from Carousel of Progress, but now I can see it isn't. Anyone know what this is from?

Untitled by siriusthinking, on Flickr

Horizons, maybe?

If anyone's interested, they also include the stretching room portraits now. I know I've looked for them for a while... then I didn't get them this time :lol:

CP_alum08

Going by the city-scape I'm guessing something in EPCOT when it was still planned as a city. Maybe one of the corporate lounges?

HornsofaSteer

That is concept art from the interior of the Carousel of Progress entitled "Contemporary Home". I believe it was done by John Hench. :animwink:

lilclerk

Original Poster
That is concept art from the interior of the Carousel of Progress entitled "Contemporary Home". I believe it was done by John Hench. :animwink:

Aha! Yes, I meant to include in the OP that it's just titled John Hench on the package receipt. I should have trusted my first instinct.
Thanks a lot!

Rob562

Aha! I was going to say it does kinda look like the original final scene from CoP (the World's Fair version):

Carousel-of-Progress-web.jpg

But I thought it was also is reminiscent of the hosts' city apartment in Horizons.

horizons_urbanhabitat_web.jpg

And then while looking for the above pic, which I found on progresscityusa.com, I found other photos showing John Hench posing for photos on that exact set:
http://progresscityusa.com/2009/07/14/new-horizons-for-those-guys/

So my vote is now for Horizons.

-Rob

TP2000

On my trip a couple weeks ago, I stopped at the Art On Demand kiosk in DHS to get a couple attraction poster prints as usual. They now include some concept art prints. I got this one, thinking from the tiny thumbnail they show that it was from Carousel of Progress, but now I can see it isn't. Anyone know what this is from?

Untitled by siriusthinking, on Flickr

That is a print credited to John Hench, circa 1963 as a blue sky concept sketch of Act IV of the General Electric Carousel of Progress at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.

The real act IV didn't look nearly as massive, mainly because the theater was scaled down from the original proposals. And when the plotline of following the same family was thrown in, and then putting Mother and Father amongst a whole bevy of modern General Electric products at Christmastime, the Act IV that debuted at the Fair was a smaller and more product-focused set.

They used much of John's original sketches and proposals for the Carousel of Progress 20 years later when they were designing GE's Horizons pavilion. The future home in Horizons got its inspiration from that sketch that never quite made it to the Fair.

lilclerk

Original Poster
They used much of John's original sketches and proposals for the Carousel of Progress 20 years later when they were designing GE's Horizons pavilion. The future home in Horizons got its inspiration from that sketch that never quite made it to the Fair.
that makes a lot of sense. It's got a Carousel of Progress feel to it, but the end product looks nothing like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom