Anyone have neighbors that pretend to "scoop the ________?" but it's just for show?

barnum42

I spend my weekends at the local dog pounds volunteer walking and I get through a lot of blue bags!

It should be simple consideration to scoop what the dog pooped. But there are times when this is not possible. No matter how good your intentions you can't pick up liquid poo. Also the dog may assume the position but be unable to get anything out.

As for a local persistent offender - you can try asking them to use the bag or even offer them one. Whilst that may get a reply involving the extension of the middle digit, you will at least know you can take it further. If there is a local law regarding a requirement to clean up, then let the authorities know. They'll be happy to hand out a fine.

I'm another fan of Cesar Millan. When I first saw him on a visit to America it struck me as quite hippy - all that talk of calm assertive energy, but I gave it a shot and was astonished at how well it works. I've taken dogs out that other walkers avoid because they are too much work to walk and with the slip leash and calm assertive energy got them to behave. When I see them improve to the point of finding a new home, it's really rewarding.

sbkline

So..if dogs p00p in your yard you do not care..but if a kid walks/plays in your yard then you do care?:veryconfu:hammer:

I always knew you were not a kid friendly person...

:lookaroun:lol:

It's two different things. If a dog runs into my yard and takes a dump, that's no big deal. It's no different than birds flying overhead pooping in my grass, squirrels, cats, or any other animal doing the same. Only difference is that it's a bigger pile, but it will be gone within a few days, so I'm really not too concerned by it.

On the other hand, regarding children, I certainly won't have a problem with my son having his friends over to play when he's old enough to be having friends and going out to play. But I do have a problem with neighborhood kids treating my yard as their personal playground and coming over here without permission. For one, I have small trees that are still small enough to be snapped if kids get to careless and fall on it. Number two, our laws are so ludicrous now that if these kids are on my property without permission and get hurt, their parents can blame me and expect me to make them rich when it was their kids who were trespassing in the first place. Number three, have you ever heard of an easement? Basically, if kids come over and play in my yard and I don't forbid it, and this goes on for a long enough period of time (how long may be defined by the laws of each jurisdiction), there can come a point in time where they have acquired what's called an "easement". This means that if, after this amount of time, I decide that I would rather them not hang out anymore, the law recognizes that they have a legal right to be there now, whether I want them there or not, because they have been allowed all this time to be there. So not only do I want to protect my property from destruction, but I also want to protect myself, since our laws are so stupid. Not to mention the fact that it just rubs me the wrong way that anyone would feel entitled to come hanging out on my yard without permission, as if it's their public playground...and that their parents would allow them to (which my neighbors did with their kids). I don't think they would appreciate it if they came home to find my wife and I having a picnic in their front yard, so I would appreciate it if they would respect my property as well. Another thing to consider is that my son is only two years old. While we take him out to play sometimes, he's obviously too young to be going out on his own and playing whenever he wants. The neighborhood kids are older. I don't want anyone else getting to "comfortable" playing in my yard, and acquiring the mindset that it is their turf to play on, because I don't want to create a situation where my son gets bullied out of playing on his own yard. I'm not saying that this would happen, but I know how cruel kids can be, and if these older kids are used to coming over here and playing anytime they want, then they may think of it as their turf and make my son feel afraid to play in his own yard. So even though I don't want to be known as a grumpy old "Mr Wilson" type, for several reasons, this is one of those things that just needs to be nipped in bud right now so it doesn't become a problem later.

And before you mention it, no I don't want someone walking their dog right onto my property to take its dump. But if they are walking their dog along the road and the dog is on the edge of my yard and poops I really don't care. Or if he gets out of the house or off the leash and runs into my yard and poops, I'm really not too concerned about that either. But ya, if they walked their dog right into my yard, I may have a problem with that.

Laura

Premium Member
I spend my weekends at the local dog pounds volunteer walking

Very admirable! I didn't even know you could volunteer to do something like that!

I would really like to volunteer at a place like that, but knowing that most of those animals are killed within days breaks my heart so I don't know if I could handle that.

figmentmom

Very admirable! I didn't even know you could volunteer to do something like that!

I would really like to volunteer at a place like that, but knowing that most of those animals are killed within days breaks my heart so I don't know if I could handle that.

There are no kill shelters for cats, I'd be surprised if there wasn't for dogs :shrug: :)

Yes, exactly. There are two no-kill animal shelters near us up here, and they very gladly accept any and all volunteer help. :wave:

pinkrose

I've been watching some of that other show that has a lady trainer. I can't think of her name. She's good though. We've been tried a few of the things (I don't get to see if often) on Jasmine.

As for the scooping, I always carry bags with me. There's this one yard that she just has to go in every time we walk. :shrug: Thank goodness it's on way back to the house so I don't have to carry it far.

MouseMadness

The british lady? It's me or the dog? :lookaroun I watch that one too :lol: I think her name is Victoria, and yes, she is very good.

As Cesar often points out, it's the owners who need training, not the dogs :ROFLOL:

MouseMadness

I spend my weekends at the local dog pounds volunteer walking and I get through a lot of blue bags!

It should be simple consideration to scoop what the dog pooped. But there are times when this is not possible. No matter how good your intentions you can't pick up liquid poo. Also the dog may assume the position but be unable to get anything out.

As for a local persistent offender - you can try asking them to use the bag or even offer them one. Whilst that may get a reply involving the extension of the middle digit, you will at least know you can take it further. If there is a local law regarding a requirement to clean up, then let the authorities know. They'll be happy to hand out a fine.

I'm another fan of Cesar Millan. When I first saw him on a visit to America it struck me as quite hippy - all that talk of calm assertive energy, but I gave it a shot and was astonished at how well it works. I've taken dogs out that other walkers avoid because they are too much work to walk and with the slip leash and calm assertive energy got them to behave. When I see them improve to the point of finding a new home, it's really rewarding.

:lookaroun

Probably not the same as the "worn out, ed off energy" I usually have, huh? :lookaroun :eek:

:lol:

WDWFREAK53

Dogs sense fear. Dogs want to be dominant. If you're not in control, they will be. If you're nervous, they'll take advantage of you. Panic causes chaos...stay calm, in control, but firm and the dog will obey and conform to what you want.

bayoumoon

Dogs sense fear. Dogs want to be dominant. If you're not in control, they will be. If you're nervous, they'll take advantage of you. Panic causes chaos...stay calm, in control, but firm and the dog will obey and conform to what you want.
I use this philosophy with my boyfriend:ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Stepping in a pile of "dog patty" barefoot isn't the most pleasant experience... but it's kinda part of growing up.

There's generally a hose nearby. :shrug:

Disneybird

I use this philosophy with my boyfriend:ROFLOL:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When we moved into our neighborhood, we had 2 collies and within the first week, had our backyard fenced. It's a large yard so the dogs had plenty of room to run. A few weeks after moving in, we came home to find 2 dogs using our front yard while the owner watched. We knew it wasn't the first time either. On one side of our yard was a patch of woods and a small grassy area they could have used and on the other side was a vacant lot. Now why didn't she take the dogs to one of those areas?

Last year we were having a yard sale and a dog from down the street came into the yard to do his business. He even hiked his leg to "go" on some clothes.

And yes, we do have leash laws here.

Disneybird

Stepping in a pile of "dog patty" barefoot isn't the most pleasant experience... but it's kinda part of growing up.

/quote]

Neither is walking into your house at night with your shoes on and then wondering what that stuff is you've just tracked on the carpet. :lol:

sbkline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When we moved into our neighborhood, we had 2 collies and within the first week, had our backyard fenced. It's a large yard so the dogs had plenty of room to run. A few weeks after moving in, we came home to find 2 dogs using our front yard while the owner watched. We knew it wasn't the first time either. On one side of our yard was a patch of woods and a small grassy area they could have used and on the other side was a vacant lot. Now why didn't she take the dogs to one of those areas?

Last year we were having a yard sale and a dog from down the street came into the yard to do his business. He even hiked his leg to "go" on some clothes.

And yes, we do have leash laws here.

In the first story, I think that is incredibly rude that a pet owner would just stand there and allow his dog to run onto your property and do his thing. I try to keep my dog off others' property at all times out of respect for the neighbors.

Your second example, though, is what I was getting at with my original posts. In that case, it's not a matter of the owner just letting his dog do that. It's most likely a matter of the dog running out of the house when the door is open or getting off his chain, or something. It happens. Sometimes when I open my backdoor to go out to the garage, my dog zooms out before I can shut the door behind me and I have to call her back. As a dog owner, I totally understand about a dog taking off on his own and going exploring...as I've also seen dogs end up in my yard the same way. And it's those cases I'm talking about when I say I really don't care if they ________ in my yard. Dogs get away sometimes. It happens. And if the dog ends up in my yard and poops, so what? :shrug: It's just no big deal to me. It just decomposes into the soil and it's gone in a couple days, so I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about it. I even walked outside one morning and found a big pile on the sidewalk leading away from my front step. At least right there, it was easy to see and no problem to walk around. Did I get upset about it? No. ________ happens, folks. :lol:

If someone is walking their dog on the street and the radius of the dog's leash allows him to walk on the edge of my propery, I don't even give a hoot if the dog squats down and takes a dump. And I don't even see it as necessary for the owner to pick it up. Now if the owner walks his dog right into my yard, or takes the leash off and allows him to run right into my yard, then I would be annoyed...not because of the ________, but because of the blatant disrespect of my property.

Maybe I've just grown up in more laid back areas than the rest of you, but I just don't understand why this is such a big issue with some people. :shrug:

sbkline

/quote]

Neither is walking into your house at night with your shoes on and then wondering what that stuff is you've just tracked on the carpet. :lol:

Neither is sitting at the computer for 5 or 10 minutes wondering what the heck that smell is, only to look at your shoe and find out the answer to your question. :ROFLOL:

miles1

True Story:

About 15 years ago we moved into a new home, which was a "fixer upper" to say the least. The large back yard was fenced, so I came home one day to find that DW had decided we needed a dog, which grew into a sizable Chocolate Lab named Miles (hence my screen name).

Anyway, one Sunday afternoon on a 15 degree November day, I had just finished gutting the dining room and decided to take Miles out to play in the yard. Of course I was filthy and hadn't even bothered to shower that day since I knew it would be fruitless. Miles liked to play a game in which I would chase him for his favorite toy, a flat basketball. As I was running after the dog at full tilt on a slope, I slipped on something (guess what it was), went flying into the air, and landed with a large CRACK noise with my legs tangled under me.

It took about 5 seconds for the pain receptors to notify my brain that I had broken not one, but BOTH LEGS. And, I was sitting in another pile of dog doo. Since it was abosolutely freezing outside, all the windows were closed and DW couldn't hear me yelling for help. After about a half hour, she came out on the deck to yell at me that dinner was getting cold. When I told her to call an ambulance, she thought I was joking and went back inside for another fifteen minutes. By that time I had nearly passed out.

You can imagine the remarks from the ambulance and ER crew about how I was covered with poo. One asked if the police had brought in the hobo, being perfectly serious. (At the time, I was an upper level administrator at another healthcare faciltiy).

I spent three days in the hospital, three weeks in a wheelchair, and six months in casts with crutches.

Moral of the story: Clean up the dog doo, even if its in your own yard. You never know what can happen.:lol:

Laura

Premium Member
True Story:

About 15 years ago we moved into a new home, which was a "fixer upper" to say the least. The large back yard was fenced, so I came home one day to find that DW had decided we needed a dog, which grew into a sizable Chocolate Lab named Miles (hence my screen name).

Anyway, one Sunday afternoon on a 15 degree November day, I had just finished gutting the dining room and decided to take Miles out to play in the yard. Of course I was filthy and hadn't even bothered to shower that day since I knew it would be fruitless. Miles liked to play a game in which I would chase him for his favorite toy, a flat basketball. As I was running after the dog at full tilt on a slope, I slipped on something (guess what it was), went flying into the air, and landed with a large CRACK noise with my legs tangled under me.

It took about 5 seconds for the pain receptors to notify my brain that I had broken not one, but BOTH LEGS. And, I was sitting in another pile of dog doo. Since it was abosolutely freezing outside, all the windows were closed and DW couldn't hear me yelling for help. After about a half hour, she came out on the deck to yell at me that dinner was getting cold. When I told her to call an ambulance, she thought I was joking and went back inside for another fifteen minutes. By that time I had nearly passed out.

You can imagine the remarks from the ambulance and ER crew about how I was covered with poo. One asked if the police had brought in the hobo, being perfectly serious. (At the time, I was an upper level administrator at another healthcare faciltiy).

I spent three days in the hospital, three weeks in a wheelchair, and six months in casts with crutches.

Moral of the story: Clean up the dog doo, even if its in your own yard. You never know what can happen.:lol:

OMG!!! That's awful!!!!

I am lucky that my dog only goes potty on the very edge of the yard, right by the fence where no one walks. She's also little so her mess disintegrates within about a day anyway.

figmentmom

True Story:

And you retained your sense of humor!!! :eek: :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom