Anyone have connecting flight experience with kids?

birdy

Original Poster
Just 2 more days for us! Little bit nervous as we have a connecting flight on the way down to Orlando with only a 55 minute window. Have 2 small kids ages 7 and 9. Any tips for making sure we are able to make that flight on time. Of course we are at the mercy of the first flight being on time. Our connecting airport is St. Paul Minneapolis. We are flying with delta who had some issues last week but hopefully their computers are back to normal.

Weather_Lady

A lot depends on how far you have to go -- whether to an adjacent gate or across the airport. However, my time-saving tips for any connection are:

1 - Check in for both flights ahead of time. Get seats as far toward the front of the plane as you can for your first leg so you can be among the first to disembark -- as long as you're not traveling carryon only. (If they run out of overhead bin space for the last to board and you have to gate check a bag, you potentially might have to pick up your bags during your layover -- not something you want to do with a tight connection!)
2 - Know your connecting gate ahead of time and print out a map of the airport so you know exactly where you need to go once you land. Listen for any gate changes that might be announced before you disembark, and as soon as you disembark, consult a times board to confirm that the gate for your next flight hasn't changed, so you don't waste any time going in the wrong direction.
3 - Before the plane begins its descent on your first leg and that "seatbelt" light goes back on, have the kids visit the restroom so nobody has to go while you're trying to cross an airport terminal (potentially). Similarly, be sure that everybody has put all their "stuff" (electronics, etc.) back in their bags (or in the case of jackets and shoes, put back ON anything that was removed in-flight) well before it's time to disembark. You don't want to have to wait for somebody to tie their sneakers, or run back to find the charging cord they left in their seat.
4 - Travel light! The fewer/lighter bags you have (I would keep it to no more than 1 bag for each child to keep track of, if any -- either a lightweight roller bag or a backpack), the faster you can move. Even if you land early and have plenty of time to make your connection, it's better to "hurry up and wait" at the gate. Delta requires you to check-in (and often begins boarding) 30 minutes or so before the scheduled departure time, and you don't want to miss anything.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

As @Weather_Lady alluded to, really just do everything you can to minimize any time wasting. Pack up everything before you land - maybe let the kids read a magazine you don't mind losing/leaving behind. Bring your own food. No idea how long your two flights are, but if you think you may be hungry, having that food with you saves alot of time over having to find a CS location and order/wait for food.

jaklgreen

Your kids are old enough to have their own little backpacks with their stuff in there to keep them entertained. I also only use a backpack as my carry on so that I always have my hands free. We travel a lot and have been travelling with our kids since they were a year old. A lot of times hubby does not go so its just my kids and me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom