anyone else pick up the special edition TRON DVD?

popkid

Original Poster
got mine yesterday, but only had a few free minutes to scan the special features... 5 hours of bonus material i beleive...

i know it's a stretch for a disney movie, but i've always love it...

-end of line-

MrPromey

Originally posted by popkid
got mine yesterday, but only had a few free minutes to scan the special features... 5 hours of bonus material i beleive...

i know it's a stretch for a disney movie, but i've always love it...

-end of line-

Well, you aren't alone - I bought it too... In fact, the guy that rang it up sort of paused and looked at it for a moment, then looked up at me sort of displaying it in his had as he said "This is reason alone for a person to buy a DVD player". Not that there is anything with TRON, I mean, I bought it but that sort of took me back a little. He also said something about there being lots of hidden Mickeys in it including one in a scene were they are moving and the camera pans with them revealing a really large one that is bigger than the screen...

What I find sort of funny about this movie is how everyone talks about it being the first movie to incorporate real CG effects but I wonder if most people realize that only about 15 minutes of the movie was actually done with computers? I read an article one time about all the effort that went into giving hand drawn scenes the pixilated look. I haven't had a chance to go through the DVD yet either but I'm curious to see if they discuss that in it. :)

I also heard some sort of buzz about a TRON II. Supposedly it's a possibility although I think it would be harder to pull off today when the general public's vision of technology has advanced so much.

popkid

Original Poster
first movie with CG effects? hehe, wait til they see the behind the scenes where the explain how the effects were done by HAND :)

i didn't know about the hidden mickey's, though while watching it for a bit last night i noticed a not-so-hidden pac-man on a control panel...

i've also heard rumblings about TRON2.... it sure would have to be something...

remember on TTA when you would pass thru 'the game grid of tron' and then a second later you 'escape'.... was that just in DL, or was it at WDW as well?

NowInc

Tron is still one of my all time favorite movies...

I got my hands on the DVD as well, and am anxiously awaiting the sequal (hehe...being an animator has privilaged me to see some of it already...its (for lack of a better word) ****ing amazing)

The effects were not ALL done by hand..they used AT&T pixel machines to do a majority of the cool looking stuff...way ahead of its time.

MrPromey

Here is a very good article on the movie(s) that both of you may be interested in. It is an interview with Steven Lisberger, the director and one of the co-writers of TRON. You have to register to read it but it's free and worth it, I think ;)

The article talks about where the computer stuff and hand drawn stuff can be found. It also talks a little bit about TRON 2.0

http://www.vfxpro.com/article/mainv/0,7220,21407|1,00.html

NowInc

Mr.P...I know you do some sort of computer graphics work....Just wondering if you ever go to SIGGRAPH...

Last year when I went Is when I got my sneak peak at Tron 2.0...

If you go this year..tell me...I "work" there when they hold the confrence and can get you in MUCH cheaper than the usual 700 dollar admission price (which if you are in the computer graphics field..is WELLLLL worth it just to see all the new toys)

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc
Mr.P...I know you do some sort of computer graphics work....Just wondering if you ever go to SIGGRAPH...

Last year when I went Is when I got my sneak peak at Tron 2.0...

If you go this year..tell me...I "work" there when they hold the confrence and can get you in MUCH cheaper than the usual 700 dollar admission price (which if you are in the computer graphics field..is WELLLLL worth it just to see all the new toys)

Ok, I know I'm going to look like a total dope for not knowing what SIGGRAPH is but I'm assuming it's a conference or trade show. I get so many things in the mail for those all over the world that I don't look over any of them very closely. Please fill me in on what and where this is. :)

NowInc

Siggraph is basically the worlds largest computer graphics conference/trade show..its held once a year at different locations (Orlando in 98, new orleans was 2000, LA is usually every other year, San Fran is this year)..and all the companies get booths to show off their stuff...ILM, Disney, Sony, Adobe, HP, etc....it used to be mostly for the 3d industry..but has blossomed into something MUCH larger. It is valuable for anyone in the industry to attend to make contacts, see whats new, watch clinics...etc..

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc
Siggraph is basically the worlds largest computer graphics conference/trade show..its held once a year at different locations (Orlando in 98, new orleans was 2000, LA is usually every other year, San Fran is this year)..and all the companies get booths to show off their stuff...ILM, Disney, Sony, Adobe, HP, etc....it used to be mostly for the 3d industry..but has blossomed into something MUCH larger. It is valuable for anyone in the industry to attend to make contacts, see whats new, watch clinics...etc..

Hmm... that sounds likes lot of fun (to me, anyway :rolleyes:) If I could get the time off for it I think I would be interested. Ironically my employer sort of frowns on us doing that sort of thing. I think they are afraid we'll get out there and find something better. :rolleyes: If I lie about what I want the time off for, I stand a better chance of getting it. Sad, eh?

NowInc

Originally posted by MrPromey

Hmm... that sounds likes lot of fun (to me, anyway :rolleyes:) If I could get the time off for it I think I would be interested. Ironically my employer sort of frowns on us doing that sort of thing. I think they are afraid we'll get out there and find something better. :rolleyes: If I lie about what I want the time off for, I stand a better chance of getting it. Sad, eh?

That sucks bro...I mean..SIGGRAPH gets bigger every year, and it has already become pretty much REQUIRED to stay alive in the industry....I have met some GREAT people while attending (Phil Tippit, Stan Lee etc), and have learned so much from just TALKING to these guys then I did in 4 years of school....

You should try and convince your boss to get a booth there..its really great for buisness, and would be a great way to see what your competition is doing ;)

To give you an idea of what kinda stuff we see there::

2 years ago...Disney went there and saw some new technology that makes regular pictures look 3d...without any special glasses...

They bought the rights to it 3 months later ;)

MrPromey

For anyone that cares, there is a really big hidden Mickey just a little more than one hour and twelve minutes into the movie :)

Luau Cove

Hibbert: Homer, this is your physician, Dr. Julius Hibbert. Can you
tell us what it's like in there?
Homer: Uh...it's like...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Wiggum: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Wiggum: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Frink: No.
Lovejoy: No.
Wiggum: Yes. I mean -- um, I mean, no. No, heh.
-- "Treehouse of Horror VI"

-->LUAU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom