Anyone else had enough of film IP attractions?

mdktf

Original Poster
I think back to when I went to WDW as a kid back in the 80s and seeing old videos like World of Motion, Horizons, Spaceship Earth (and one with hot air balloons on a screen and a catchy song that for the life of me I don’t know the name of) and these really give me a sense of nostalgia and true WDW. Huge rides that weren’t about pace or famous characters but Original attractions. These to me set Disney apart from other theme parks, these are what made them. I know we still have pirates and Spaceship Earth (which ok needs a touch up) but I wish they would come back with another grand original attraction. As a kid I loved them and definitely still would as an adult. I understand IP = $ but how amazing would it be if they came up with a new original attraction that had new characters that became famous in their own right, huge animatronic set pieces! I just fear that maybe we have seen the best of Disney, every new attraction is based on a film, and for me it’s ruining Epcot in particular. I don’t want to see Rats and Frozen people in Epcot. The message got lost somewhere. Anyone agree?

John park hopper

Advertisement
I think back to when I went to WDW as a kid back in the 80s and seeing old videos like World of Motion, Horizons, Spaceship Earth (and one with hot air balloons on a screen and a catchy song that for the life of me I don’t know the name of) and these really give me a sense of nostalgia and true WDW. Huge rides that weren’t about pace or famous characters but Original attractions. These to me set Disney apart from other theme parks, these are what made them. I know we still have pirates and Spaceship Earth (which ok needs a touch up) but I wish they would come back with another grand original attraction. As a kid I loved them and definitely still would as an adult. I understand IP = $ but how amazing would it be if they came up with a new original attraction that had new characters that became famous in their own right, huge animatronic set pieces! I just fear that maybe we have seen the best of Disney, every new attraction is based on a film, and for me it’s ruining Epcot in particular. I don’t want to see Rats and Frozen people in Epcot. The message got lost somewhere. Anyone agree?
Agree with you 100%

mdktf

Original Poster
Disney doesn’t have sponsors anymore like they did in the 80s for rides. It makes financial sense for them to put in IPs. It’d be cool if Apple put money into the park, they have a great relationship with Disney but I don’t see it happening
I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get sponsors and yes Apple would be a good fit especially with the influence they had/have on the board. I heard that Siemens offered to buy a whole new fleet of monorails but wanted Siemens on them so Disney said no. What’s that all about if it’s true?!

rk03221

I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to get sponsors and yes Apple would be a good fit especially with the influence they had/have on the board. I heard that Siemens offered to buy a whole new fleet of monorails but wanted Siemens on them so Disney said no. What’s that all about if it’s true?!
Oh don’t get me started on the monorails...I used to be a cm and knew the maintenance guys who worked on them, those things have a lifespan of 15-18 years and they are probably about 30 years old now, not kidding. How they still operate and why Disney hasn’t gotten new ones is beyond anyone

mdktf

Original Poster
Oh don’t get me started on the monorails...I used to be a cm and knew the maintenance guys who worked on them, those things have a lifespan of 15-18 years and they are probably about 30 years old now, not kidding. How they still operate and why Disney hasn’t gotten new ones is beyond anyone
I’m sure it was 92 they got them. Just don’t get it, they smell like a zoo 🤷‍♂️

V/N McQueen

In the Parks
No
TDA and TDO are creatively bankrupt, cheap, and they have no interest in originality but are willing to sacrifice a lot, if not everything, for IP advertisement. That's my opinion. How else to you explain broken promises to fix the yeti, or Guardian's of the Galaxy Mission Breakout?

mdktf

Original Poster
TDA and TDO are creatively bankrupt & cheap, that's my opinion. How else to you explain broken promises to fix the yeti, or Guardian's of the Galaxy Mission Breakout?
I don’t like the overlays. Joe Rohde actually mentioned the Yeti on Twitter this week. Kinda said they can’t work a way out to fix it.

V/N McQueen

In the Parks
No
I don’t like the overlays. Joe Rohde actually mentioned the Yeti on Twitter this week. Kinda said they can’t work a way out to fix it.
Yeah I saw that.. though I advocate for a total refurbishment of that ride anyway. The paint is dull, the trains are loud and heavily vibrate, and disco yeti sucks. Space Mountain has been needing a refurb for god knows how long now. Dinosaur could use some help too. I don't care for the "there's not enough rides" excuse cause if that were the case than Disney could lower prices (ha!) for the duration of whatever refurb(s) they're doing.

Brer Panther

I’m sure I remember the lyric, ‘up, up and away’. Was that Epcot?
Dreamflight was in the Magic Kingdom (in Tomorrowland). However, I looked up the lyrics to the Dreamflight song and the lyric "up, up and away" was not in it. Maybe you're thinking of Dreamflight's precursor, If You Could Fly?

Abyssal_S

In the Parks
No
Eeeh. To be completely honest I haven’t been one to say: “ip = bad” for everything like some people do. I really..... don’t mind it as a lot do. I do definitely see where they’re coming from, though. That said, there are fantastic attractions that didn’t come from IP like SSE, Expedition Everest, Haunted Mansion, etc.

Paper straw fan

Honestly it’s one of the defenses I have of the Dinosaur area of AK- you hear on here people suggest Disney should re-theme that something Pixar, but I’m fine with rides/areas having a non IP theme, even something little known or made up. Make the ride/experience good, and the theme doesn’t really matter that much.

It’s not that I hate IP rides, but every new ride/experience at WDW doesn’t have to have one.

rk03221

I love Frozen but I’d wish they didn’t get rid of Maelstrom, that was a true classic. I’m not against IPs either or anything because everything from Peter Pan to 7DMT to Dinosaur are IPs but the classic creative rides Disney does are the best. They should’ve just built a frozen ride next to Maelstrom...but that costs $$$

Giss Neric

I blame Universal and Wizard World of Harry Potter's tremendous success. That started it all. Just look at the huge jump it created for Universal in terms of attendance. There were IPs before that but that skyrocketed the creation of IP-based lands.

Jon81uk

There was a comment in the Splash Mountain History thread in the Disneyland sub-forum, that SM was the first attraction not within Fantasyland that featured characters from Disney animated films. Although adventureland and frontierland had drawn on live action films (such as Swiss Family Robinson) and in the 80s they had already added Star Tours, by being the first use of animated characters, Splash Mountain probably kick-started the bigger roll-out of IP.

Goofyernmost

Nope, Up, Up and Away was the title of a song by the Fifth Dimension.
We are living in a world of fantasy ourselves and do not want to put forth the effort to be original. I believe that the majority of the public just want to see things that they can related to which is what an outside IP is. But, just two of the things that people currently call IP's would be Frozen and Toy Story, both part of the Disney family of creations. So many things that we now worship like Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio Mary Poppins and many other things that we think are strictly Disney were some one else's Intellectual Property. If it's a good story, I fail to see what all the whining is about. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad it probably would never make the line up at any Disney Park.

Top Bottom