Anyone else enjoy boating in Disney World?

mergatroid

Original Poster
I've always found boating at Disney for an hour or so as one of those wonderful activities that not too many people talk about. It's positively idyllic taking a small craft such as a sea racer out and about for a spin and to get some different views of the resorts and islands around seven seas lagoon and bay lake. This year I'm thinking of hiring a larger craft as Mrs M won't come out onto the larger lakes in a sea racer as they feel too close to the water for her liking. It's a toss up between a 'Boston Whaler Montauk' and a 'Sun Tracker Pontoon Boat' then, though I've no idea which of the two is more fun or goes faster. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Tom

Beta Return
I've always found boating at Disney for an hour or so as one of those wonderful activities that not too many people talk about. It's positively idyllic taking a small craft such as a sea racer out and about for a spin and to get some different views of the resorts and islands around seven seas lagoon and bay lake. This year I'm thinking of hiring a larger craft as Mrs M won't come out onto the larger lakes in a sea racer as they feel too close to the water for her liking. It's a toss up between a 'Boston Whaler Montauk' and a 'Sun Tracker Pontoon Boat' then, though I've no idea which of the two is more fun or goes faster. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

My wife and I rented one of the pontoons from the Poly a couple years ago, and we puttered around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. It was fantastic!

Offered great vantage points of all the resorts, all the little islands, and the MK. I think we were out for an hour or more, just relaxing.

We'll be renting one again in January when we go with my mom.

I like the pontoon because it's so roomy. Even with just 2 or 3 of us, you can sit in the sun, move to the shade under the canopy, and even walk around a bit.

You won't be skiing off the pontoon, but it moves at a decent pace. It creates a breeze if there isn't one.

R W B

I've rented a Sea Racer a few times and they were pretty fun. I would catch the waves behind the big Ferrys and that was cool. I'd like to rent something bigger next time though.

The Tuna

We have rented them before. lots of fun to see the resorts and the front of the kingdom form the water and the ferry's as well. Might have to take the kids for a run on them this year.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I like the pontoon because it's so roomy. Even with just 2 or 3 of us, you can sit in the sun, move to the shade under the canopy, and even walk around a bit.

Yes I've got to admit the 'roominess' of them is very appealing. My wife being light skinned will no doubt appreciate the canopy for shade and will like the fact she can presumably take a coffee on board to enjoy. Also with it just being the two of us she'll have plenty of room to move about for different photo opportunities. In fact the more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to it :cool:

JIMINYCR

DS and I have rented the sea racers for a boys day out. Yes they are fun to play around on and gives you a good look at areas you dont see normally. For us I dont think the pontoon boats wouldnt be as much fun. DW isnt excited about the water, but last trip we booked the Wishes Fireworks cruise on Bay Lake to celebrate her Bday and our anniversary, that was a great experience you should do with your DW.

eddy21

My son and I are too heavy for the Sea Racers. So it's Boston Whaler now. Not quite as much fun. Last time out noticed the patrols are more strict. They stop boat traffic when the ferries are crossing.

Bairstow

I take it the Sea Raycers are more fun to rent at Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake than at the Boardwalk?
Also, if they're still renting boats at the Boardwalk or Beach Club, what prevents someone from driving it into the World Showcase lagoon?

PEPPER2029

as a family of 5 we rent the pontoon boat. we find it fun to look at the abandon discovery island and river country. we also sneak into the waterlight parade area.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Not really. About a minute of instruction, fitting of life vest, and you're off.

Some years ago, I rented a Sea Raycer over at the Contemporary dock. Having no experience driving even a little boat, I was nervous; but once I relaxed, it was really fun! :joyfull:

Aside of the brief instructions they give you, I think it's basically common sense rules: give a wider area to larger boats, obey posted speeds, and always pay attention to all other boaters. They also had CMs patrolling in boats, keeping an eye on everyone to make sure people were being safe. They were nice, and all of them smiled and waved to me. :)

Tom 55

Twice I have hired a fishing guide. Once we fished 7 seas lagoon. Around the docks at GF and then over to discover island area. Had a great time with the grand kids.

Attachments

• 05-16-2008_051.JPG
    05-16-2008_051.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 05-16-2008_071.JPG
    05-16-2008_071.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 61

POLY LOVER

I did a pontoon and sea racers both are fun, the cost I feel is reasonable. I also think pass holders get 20% discount or at least they used to under the old season passholder rules.

EpcoTim

Wouldn't a boat that doesn't come too close to water really just be a car?

Of course a car that doesn't go over a bridge?

Deep thoughts; by Jack Handey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom