Anyone else annoyed by the ropes and nets all along the waters edge at all the beach front resorts?

wedance6

Original Poster
I have to admit they did a great job still making it look fabulous with the added rocks etc. but I really miss being able to see the water lap up on the beach and walk along the waters edge. I used to swim in bay lake on the Poly beach in the 70's. How come there were no alligators bothering us then?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
How come there were no alligators bothering us then?
For the same reason alligators were not bothering people in the 80s, 90s, and what not. It takes only a single tragedy to make a company move and that was the case. I believe the odds of dealing with alligators are very low in bay lake, but it is florida an there are alligators. Disney did the prudent thing.

Btw, I was in MK a few years ago, and saw an alligator in little water area in the splash mountain ride. I'm saying that it can be rare but it does happen.

NeedMoreMickey

I think they alligators were considered endangered species until the late 80's so there weren't as many around when WDW opened. I remember going to a water ski show in 1983 Cypress Gardens and was thinking about the skiers falling in the water and may be gators. My sister let her kids go tubing on the lake next to Bay Lake Tower about 5 years ago and I couldn't believe it. They were told the gators stay away from the boat motor sounds. I told her she was crazy.

DisAl

Also, I don't think there were as many fools who fed alligators, thereby reducing the alligators fear of people and associating people with food. The end result is that now alligators are much more dangerous to people, especially small children. FYI, a mature alligator can outrun a man for short distances.

BoarderPhreak

It doesn't look as nice as it used to before the barriers, but all things considered, they don't look too bad. Disney did what they had to, and did a good job of it. As mentioned above, it sometimes only takes one incident to bring about permanent change... And a kid getting dragged away by a gator at a place like WDW is about as bad as it gets.

mousehockey37

I have to admit they did a great job still making it look fabulous with the added rocks etc. but I really miss being able to see the water lap up on the beach and walk along the waters edge. I used to swim in bay lake on the Poly beach in the 70's. How come there were no alligators bothering us then?

Did your alligator thread get locked on another board, so you have to come troll here?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Did your alligator thread get locked on another board, so you have to come troll here?
I see this more of a "spoiled view" thread than an alligator thread. The OP has a point, but quickly answers his own concern by saying they did a good job considering the circumstances.

Might as well complain about the scrims on Main Street USA, or the scrims around the Prince Charming Carousel.

Weather_Lady

The fencing is done so subtly, and in keeping with the theming of each pertinent resort, that it has very little impact on the view. If you really just want to watch water lap up against something, there are myriad pools (even the sandy beach portion of Stormalong Bay), decorative fountains, water rides, sinks and toilets at WDW at which one might gaze for hours if so inclined.

jakeman

I see this more of a "spoiled view" thread than an alligator thread. The OP has a point, but quickly answers his own concern by saying they did a good job considering the circumstances.

Might as well complain about the scrims on Main Street USA, or the scrims around the Prince Charming Carousel.
On it!

crxbrett

Stayed in Fiji on the 3rd floor overlooking the little beach that's near Luaua Cove last year and we could still hear the relaxing waves lapping against the rocks. If anything, the sound was a bit louder now since waves/swells hitting rocks generates more sound than plain old sand.

Yeah, of course it's not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye. But to be honest, Disney stopped treating the water and keeping the shoreline waters maintained years ago, so the water was not clear and was full of moss and reeds and such for a long time before the GF incident.

Echoing what others already said, Disney did the prudent thing and pretty much had to do what they did by erecting the fence and adding rocks to the shorelines. While walking along the beaches last year, I was still able to enjoy the view and didn't notice the fences as much as I thought I would. The beaches were actually usually empty, which may be directly due to the fences and the incident. Which made the late night walks and hammock and swing rides even more peaceful.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom