Anyone dislike the volggers content?

EeyoreFan#24

It’s free Marketing, why would they blanket shut them down from their perspective. They probably shut down ones that cause them heartburn, but let the rest roll. I don’t watch many on the regular, but I’ve heard a lot mention there on the “media list” and obviously receive invites to “media events”. They know who they are and could easily shut out any problems.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They get 6m views a month. So that would be 150k if they got $2 per thousand but they likely get more than that. Taxes prob aren't all that bad as they get to write off just about everything they do as business expenses.

I'm thinking you're close. At least IMO that seems like a realistic figure.

Dan Deesnee

They get 6m views a month. So that would be 150k if they got $2 per thousand but they likely get more than that. Taxes prob aren't all that bad as they get to write off just about everything they do as business expenses.

That's not how write offs work. They can deduct 10k in income per year as write offs.

YouTube also takes 45%. So by your numbers they're making about 145k pre YouTube cut, or $80,000. Then taxes of around 30% takes that down to $56,000.

Even at $1,250 per day, after YouTubes cut, taxes, etc they're probably pulling in 125k-160k which really isn't that much. I can't even imagine living my life in front of a camera filming 5 days a week, day and night and on the computer editing videos. But to each their own.

Speaking more generally, remember that one of the draws that vloggers and other social media personalities use is the perception that they're living the high life

SoFloMagic

That's not how write offs work. They can deduct 10k in income per year as write offs.

YouTube also takes 45%. So by your numbers they're making about 145k pre YouTube cut, or $80,000. Then taxes of around 30% takes that down to $56,000.

Even at $1,250 per day, after YouTubes cut, taxes, etc they're probably pulling in 125k-160k which really isn't that much. I can't even imagine living my life in front of a camera filming 5 days a week, day and night and on the computer editing videos. But to each their own.
I mean they're definitely filing a schedule c, right? Income minus business expenses = taxable income? So we made 150k but spent 3k on tickets, 5k on vlog food we reviewed on the channel, 20k on hotels, mileage to the park, car used for business travel, etc. Likely lowers agi significantly and reduces tax burden.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I mean they're definitely filing a schedule c, right? Income minus business expenses = taxable income? So we made 150k but spent 3k on tickets, 5k on vlog food we reviewed on the channel, 20k on hotels, mileage to the park, car used for business travel, etc. Likely lowers agi significantly and reduces tax burden.

As well as video/editing equipment, work related subscriptions (editing software and the like), company car, home office, etc. I'd wager that they are also getting some comps or heavy discounts on certain things. If they're doing it right (which I'm assuming they are), there are many benefits/advantages they are getting.

ETA: This is not to say that every vlogger is in this situation. But when you have a channel with over 800k subscribers - then yeah.

Dan Deesnee

Good point, possible but I still don't think they're saving that much on taxes.

mergatroid

What you should take into account is that the Trackers aren't just getting views on their latest videos, but also their vast back catalog. If you search youtube for say 'Cowfish' or 'Halloween Horror Nights', you generally find the Trackers in the first few recommendations. I'd guess this helps get their old videos viewed a lot and in fairness they do a decent job for the average person who doesn't know them and wants some family friendly advice on certain restaurants or special events.

Dan Deesnee

What you should take into account is that the Trackers aren't just getting views on their latest videos, but also their vast back catalog. If you search youtube for say 'Cowfish' or 'Halloween Horror Nights', you generally find the Trackers in the first few recommendations. I'd guess this helps get their old videos viewed a lot and in fairness they do a decent job for the average person who doesn't know them and wants some family friendly advice on certain restaurants or special events.

Keep in mind that YouTube payouts are EXTREMELY front loaded. That is why you see everyone constantly begging you to subscribe to alerts. So old videos still getting lots of views doesn't add much to the bank account.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Speaking more generally, remember that one of the draws that vloggers and other social media personalities use is the perception that they're living the high life
The $2 to $4 per thousand would be after YouTube's cut.

mergatroid

Keep in mind that YouTube payouts are EXTREMELY front loaded. That is why you see everyone constantly begging you to subscribe to alerts. So old videos still getting lots of views doesn't add much to the bank account.
I don't know much about youtube to be honest. However watching the Trackers for probably the last 6 years I've noticed quite a few changes. For instance I remember Tim having a full time job and doing most videos in the evening after work and at the weekend. I remember them doing a video where they were kind of criticising other vloggers for doing superchats and selling merch saying "We love our fans and would never ask them for money, we're not about that".

A few months after that they made a vlog about their house being infested with termites (?) and said they had to have it tented and fumigated and it was costing about $1,500 to do so. They then started selling merch and having superchats which I found odd as it went against their previous values which they never mentioned again.

Since then Tim has quit his job and they have a home in a gated community, a brand new car and Tim spent $2,000 on a jumper in one episode. Maybe it's all on credit (and none of my business) but I get the impression money isn't an issue now at least.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

There's something about Dave Kay's videos that I can't turn away from. He doesn't really go to Disney that much so may not count, but he is the only one that I keep watching in wonderment ever since I got hooked on his daily Hawaii trip videos where he seemed to spend all of his time reviewing mall food courts and convenience stores.

Dan Deesnee

That sounds like a miserable job to me... but to each their own! ;)
I work from home, with my little ones. So it's not so bad.

But like I said, different strokes for different folks.

I also did some more digging. It's nearly impossible to figure out what someone is making on YouTube. That three or four dollars per 1,000 views seems to be if the person watches the entire ad. Then there's engagement rate which also effects the payout and engagement rate has a lot of different stats that comprise it. If I had to take a guest based on what I know I would think they're pulling in somewhere between $100k to $250,000 per year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom