Anybody ever feel like this?šŸ¤”

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
When your car is 5 years old or more and you take it for an Oil Change, ever feel a little bit uneasy? I always hope for only an oil change, tire rotation and maybe a filter....that's it. Yet once I am at 55,000 miles and beyond it seems like the service rep always finds something else that "needs" attention.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
When your car is 5 years old or more and you take it for an Oil Change, ever feel a little bit uneasy? I always hope for only an oil change, tire rotation and maybe a filter....that's it. Yet once I am at 55,000 miles and beyond it seems like the service rep always finds something else that "needs" attention.
Today I have brought my wife's 2016 Honda Accord with 55,000 miles to "Mr Tire" Service Center. Price for full synthetic oil change and tire rotation is $79.99 plus tax. Let's see what else they come up with after it has been in the bay awhile.šŸ¤”šŸ™„

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Today I have brought my wife's 2016 Honda Accord with 55,000 miles to "Mr Tire" Service Center. Price for full synthetic oil change and tire rotation is $79.99 plus tax. Let's see what else they come up with after it has been in the bay awhile.šŸ¤”šŸ™„
Not bad. Only additional item needing my authorization was changinging the AIR filter. My out the door (tax included) price for oil change, tire rotation and new air filter is $110.43

donaldtoo

I just tell them not to worry about all that other stuff, as Iā€™ll take care of it on my own. Just give me new oil and an oil filter. I can replace the air filter, etc., myself.
I used to do my own oil changes, but, havenā€™t in a few yearsā€¦back issues, and itā€™s just a PITA, with disposal and all.
However, the last set of brakes I put on my car, I did myself, as I have yet to give that up. Avoids ā€œYouā€™re rotors need to be turned/replaced, you also need rear brakesā€, etc. Iā€™ve never replaced rear brakes on any car Iā€™ve ever owned, as about 95% of the stopping force goes to the front brakes.
Also, AutoZone has a ā€œlifetime warrantyā€ on all brake pads, so all it takes is my time, and the car Iā€™m currently driving is 18+ years oldā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
DWifey and kiddos keep tellinā€™ me to get a new car, but, I just canā€™t do it ā€˜til this one crosses the repair to payment ratioā€¦I just need somethinā€™ to get me from point A to B, especially to my jobā€¦a car may actually be an investment, in my case anywayā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Also, as a related asideā€¦
I worked at a local oil change place for about 3.5 mos. during the mid-80ā€™s recession. The pressure to upsell was intenseā€¦air filters, pcv valves, auto tranny fluid and filter replacements, etc.
I was actually known for resisting unless I felt the customer truly needed the replacement. Management didnā€™t like me for that.
Fortunately, I was offered another architectural firm position after those 3.5 mosā€¦.!!! :)

Clamman73

Whenever I go to Honda or Firestone (I have a Ridgeline with 64K on it) to get the inspection done, it always seems to need a laundry list of unnecessary things that need to be done. (I do a lot of the maintenance stuff myself).
I'm just like no thanks.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbagā„¢
Premium Member
@donaldtoo , if I've been faithful with the oil changes and the air filters, would I "NEED" something beyond that....just because the owner's manual says so? šŸ¤”

You may, you may not. The owners manual is basically a guide.

For example, if you ride the brakes, you'll likely need brakes long before the owner manual says you need them; or if you live in a sandier region (desert, beach), you may need to replace your air filter/cabin filter more often.

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo , if I've been faithful with the oil changes and the air filters, would I "NEED" something beyond that....just because the owner's manual says so? šŸ¤”

Not necessarily, as the ownerā€™s manual is full of recommendations. None of it is carved in stone, but, itā€™s a good guide. Iā€™ve just learned enough about cars over the years to feel pretty confident about the way I handle car issues. For example, Iā€™ve never replaced the automatic tranny fluid in any auto tranny car Iā€™ve owned. As long as when you check the fluid it doesnā€™t look or smell burnt, your good to go with just making sure thereā€™s the proper amount. The last 2 cars I owned before this one were 5-speed manuals, so the only normal wear part was the clutch plate.
I only had to have that replaced on the one, and youā€™ll generally know when itā€™s starting to go out.
Bottom line, do your homework, and then proceed with what makes you feel comfortable. :)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
You may, you may not. The owners manual is basically a guide.

For example, if you ride the brakes, you'll likely need brakes long before the owner manual says you need them; or if you live in a sandier region (desert, beach), you may need to replace your air filter/cabin filter more often.
Thank you. The car in question has already had a front brake job and an air cabin filter change as well ;)

donaldtoo

Thank you. The car in question has already had a front brake job and an air cabin filter change as well ;)

Was the brake job just pads, or was there moreā€¦?
My wife is notorious with hard stops. When we had an ā€˜01 Dodge Grand Caravan back in the day for us and our 3 kiddos, I had to have the rotors turned once and replaced once because of warpage due to heatā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
And those were some big, expensive rotorsā€¦!!!!! :greedy:
Iā€™m much easier on brakes, and tend to leave myself plenty of room. Iā€™ll be surprised if I haftaā€™ replace front brakes on this one again before I buy another ride.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Was the brake job just pads, or was there moreā€¦?
My wife is notorious with hard stops. When we had an ā€˜01 Dodge Grand Caravan back in the day for us and our 3 kiddos, I had to have the rotors turned once and replaced once because of warpage due to heatā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
And those were some big, expensive rotorsā€¦!!!!! :greedy:
Iā€™m much easier on brakes, and tend to leave myself plenty of room. Iā€™ll be surprised if I haftaā€™ replace front brakes on this one again before I buy another ride.
It was the previous oil change...so at 50 000 miles PADS only. Probably the term "brake job" wasn't the best choice of words.

Lilofan

The big profit sales push that Honda dealers is the radiator coolant flush which they are trying to convince gullible owners that it needs to happen at 5yr/60K miles as an example. I have a 2016 Accord and it you lift up the hood there is a factory sticker that recommends radiator coolant flush at 10yr/120K miles. At my dealer the cabin air filter bill to owners is $99. Instead I purchase the filter at the dealer for $30 and it takes less than 1 min to change it.

mkt

Premium Member
The big profit sales push that Honda dealers is the radiator coolant flush which they are trying to convince gullible owners that it needs to happen at 5yr/60K miles as an example. I have a 2016 Accord and it you lift up the hood there is a factory sticker that recommends radiator coolant flush at 10yr/120K miles. At my dealer the cabin air filter bill to owners is $99. Instead I purchase the filter at the dealer for $30 and it takes less than 1 min to change it.
The only times I've willingly flushed fluids are:
1- When buying a cheap used car whose previous history doesn't inspire confidence.
2- Pre/post road-trip prep to/from different climate. From Florida to northern climates, I'll change my coolant for a sub-zero antifreeze, and on the way back, I'll put back the OG coolant, plus flush the brake fluid if I encountered much snow.

donaldtoo

It was the previous oil change...so at 50 000 miles PADS only. Probably the term "brake job" wasn't the best choice of words.

No problem, pads only is still a brake job, as far as Iā€™m concerned.
Cars can be a dicey thing without at least some knowledge, and especially these days, even more so.
Iā€™ve done everything from replacing an upper radiator hose in a 7-Eleven parking lot using just a thin dime for a screwdriver for the clamps, to replacing an old block-mounted fuel pump in a parking lot, to replacing a clutch on a ā€˜75 Datsun (now Nissan) B-210.
Good timesā€¦!!! ;):)

mkt

Premium Member
No problem, pads only is still a brake job, as far as Iā€™m concerned.
Cars can be a dicey thing without at least some knowledge, and especially these days, even more so.
Iā€™ve done everything from replacing an upper radiator hose in a 7-Eleven parking lot using just a thin dime for a screwdriver for the clamps, to replacing an old block-mounted fuel pump in a parking lot, to replacing a clutch on a ā€˜75 Datsun (now Nissan) B-210.
Good timesā€¦!!! ;):)
If you wanna laugh, we took my wife's old beater truck to WDW several years ago, and the radiator fan and thermostat the bed while there. Instead of doing the parks, we did a tour of Orlando's auto parts stores, and replaced them at a friend's driveway (plus topped off the coolant, replaced the radiator cap, coil packs and spark plugs).

I missed a day at the parks, but got a day of beers and wrenching instead.

donaldtoo

If you wanna laugh, we took my wife's old beater truck to WDW several years ago, and the radiator fan and thermostat **** the bed while there. Instead of doing the parks, we did a tour of Orlando's auto parts stores, and replaced them at a friend's driveway (plus topped off the coolant, replaced the radiator cap, coil packs and spark plugs).

I missed a day at the parks, but got a day of beers and wrenching instead.

Yes, I had a couplaā€™ friends back in the day that dropped a small block 327 c.i. Chevy into a ā€˜75 Vega. I say them, because I didnā€™t have a financial stake in it like they did, but, I helped a lot, and got paid in beerā€¦!!!!! :hilarious:
Although that thing was street legal, they did take it to drag races up in Temple, TX a few times in bracket races, to see how it would do. It had the power, but, for some reason, they never could get it to hookup off the line properly. It would hop. They needed different ladder bars, or other rear suspension revisions. By that point, I was just kindaā€™ an observer, and they were making all the decisions.
Was a shame, ā€˜cause when it did finally hook up it was gone like a shot, but, by then, it was too late.

Every now and then I will come up near an old, modified, muscle car around here, and roll my window down. There is no automotive sound as awesome as a radical cam lopeā€¦!!!!!!! :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom