Any updates on Grand Floridian refurbishments?

EdnaMode

Having stayed at the Poly last year I can see a refresh of the bathrooms, the main room itself was fine and fit the theme. I'm not sure what they would change.

Same with GF. Haven't been there outside the lobby/concourse in a few years but wonder how you refresh a 1920's themed hotel.

It's not that the resort is "dated" (after all, there's no outhouse and no musty odor, so they weren't and will never be totally on-theme) but the resort rooms do have a lot of damaged furnishings. And the bathrooms (talking about the hotel side of GF) don't justify $850/night at all. They are like something you might find in a secondary bath in a very inexpensive townhouse.

Some of the same problems exist at the other monorail resorts -- it's not that Contemporary is no longer Contemporary (I don't even know what that is, really) or that Polynesian is no longer Polynesian -- it's that stuff in the hotel rooms has been so beat up and a lot of items need to be replaced with new, nicer, and more functional things. I'm more of a stairs kind of girl, but the condition of the elevators at Polynesian is just atrocious.

I, personally, have no problem with storage in any of these three resorts, but I think a lot of times that's an issue for families in these rooms so that is something that could be incorporated into a refresh, too.

DVCakaCarlF

It's not that the resort is "dated" (after all, there's no outhouse and no musty odor, so they weren't and will never be totally on-theme) but the resort rooms do have a lot of damaged furnishings. And the bathrooms (talking about the hotel side of GF) don't justify $850/night at all. They are like something you might find in a secondary bath in a very inexpensive townhouse.

Some of the same problems exist at the other monorail resorts -- it's not that Contemporary is no longer Contemporary (I don't even know what that is, really) or that Polynesian is no longer Polynesian -- it's that stuff in the hotel rooms has been so beat up and a lot of items need to be replaced with new, nicer, and more functional things. I'm more of a stairs kind of girl, but the condition of the elevators at Polynesian is just atrocious.

I, personally, have no problem with storage in any of these three resorts, but I think a lot of times that's an issue for families in these rooms so that is something that could be incorporated into a refresh, too.
The elevator situation at the poly will never change...too many “existing” items in the way it was built.

21stamps

Dated?? Wasn't the Grand Floridian designed to look like a 1920 resort for the wealthy? Wasn't that the theme? Considering when it was constructed it was built looking dated. Why would one want to change that. Originally that was the purpose of all the lights outlining the building, that was of that general era.

Agree. The room decor is fine, imo. Same with Poly, I prefer the look of the regular rooms more than the newer DVC.

jmargarone27

Yeah the elevators aren’t much better at GF either, but at least I don’t feel like I’m in a hospital elevator like at Polynesian lol

21stamps

Slow, old, and glitchy. I’ve gotten stuck before.

I never noticed that.

I’m partial to Flagler hotels, so much so that I chose to have both my wedding and reception at one.. and I’m a huge fan of Mizner architecture. The Grand Floridian reminds me of a nod to both... even today at most Flagler hotels, the decor is still reminiscent of the time period, even though updated several times... Several years ago, when the Boca Raton Resort overhauled their lobby etc in a huge refurbishment, I hated it for a long time.lol. It lost it’s classic charm to me, although I did eventually get used to the new one.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, “modern” isn’t always good.. and I think if the GF was to go modern and especially if they incorporate characters into their rooms, then it would quickly lose its charm. At the same time, I don’t expect it to be an exact replica of the design that it nods to, if it were, then I have no doubt that rooms would be twice as expensive, and too many unruly kids would ruin it anyway.

EdnaMode

The elevator situation at the poly will never change...too many “existing” items in the way it was built.

It's not the placement I was questioning, but the condition they are in. The resort grounds are beautiful at Poly but the elevators are one of the many things on the hotel side (also: furniture, lamp shades, carpeting, etc.) that are just banged up and worn out -- and that has been the case for awhile.

DVCakaCarlF

It's not the placement I was questioning, but the condition they are in. The resort grounds are beautiful at Poly but the elevators are one of the many things on the hotel side (also: furniture, lamp shades, carpeting, etc.) that are just banged up and worn out -- and that has been the case for awhile.
So not to be particular, but those are two different things.

The grounds, aesthetics, the torches are all well balanced due to the “patina” of time. There are many parts of the resort ground original to the 1971 opening...you can’t replicate or build that in suddenly. The palms, established lawns, age of the rock work, wood, and, fortunately, the management seems to care to maintain that.

Now, for the actual furnishings...that’s a human problem. The strollers striking the lamp tables, leaving wet towels on wood, poorly patched wall paper...all these things contribute to the “decline” of the fixtures.

Aside from the furnishings, my biggest gripe about GF is that non of the twinkle lights work anymore...I mean 7-9% do in places, but come on.

It’s an embarrassment.

DVCakaCarlF

Also, I forgot to answer your elevator question. The elevators are original except for a few fascia updates, due to the size and access requirements.

EdnaMode

Also, I forgot to answer your elevator question. The elevators are original except for a few fascia updates, due to the size and access requirements.

There is something that can be done to improve the condition of the elevator interiors. Ditto the furnishings: Humans bang them up, other humans replace them with improved materials that respect the theme but aren't damaged.

Same thing at GF: Torn drapes and a smashed dresser corner are not a turn-of-the-century theme. :)

And yes, those festoon lights were lovely...that's a loss.

HarperRose

I never noticed that.

I’m partial to Flagler hotels, so much so that I chose to have both my wedding and reception at one.. and I’m a huge fan of Mizner architecture. The Grand Floridian reminds me of a nod to both... even today at most Flagler hotels, the decor is still reminiscent of the time period, even though updated several times... Several years ago, when the Boca Raton Resort overhauled their lobby etc in a huge refurbishment, I hated it for a long time.lol. It lost it’s classic charm to me, although I did eventually get used to the new one.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, “modern” isn’t always good.. and I think if the GF was to go modern and especially if they incorporate characters into their rooms, then it would quickly lose its charm. At the same time, I don’t expect it to be an exact replica of the design that it nods to, if it were, then I have no doubt that rooms would be twice as expensive, and too many unruly kids would ruin it anyway.
There is a way to modernize the resort while keeping the theme/feel of the place. The state of the hotel rooms at GF is embarrassing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom