Any regrets? Why shouldn't I buy in?

Phonedave

About 10 years ago I got it. Our dollar was very weak. So according to people from Wales, they were spending pennies here compared to anywhere near home.

When we had the people staying with us, they used to come over with empty suitcases. Clothes were so much cheaper here back then. They would go home with full suitcases. Power tools too.

yaksplat

Original Poster
Finally received the Member Number Today. :p:p:p

For reference for anyone else. Here's the timeline.

9/25: Offer submitted and Accepted
9/26: Contract submitted
9/27: Contract Submitted to Disney for Right of First Refusal
10/03: Escrow filled out
10/17: Right of First Refusal waived by disney
11/02: Closing Documents submitted
11/13: Contract Closed. Information sent to Disney.
12/1: received member number

67 days from offer submitted to membership number received.
ROFR took 20 days

Club Cooloholic

ROFR took 20 days
Congrats your ROFR was a bit shorter than mine.

bigkbull

ROFR took 20 days

WELCOME HOME!

eliza61nyc

ROFR took 20 days

Welcome home!!

imsosarah

I'm thinking about diving into the DVC at the Polynesian. I just stayed in a deluxe studio and absolutely loved it. Family of 5 and we go every year.

Tell me why I shouldn't.

I want to hear the negatives. Do you have any regrets after buying in?

Only regret I have is that I waited so long. My kids are older (middle/high school) and we still love it. We did about 6-7 trips before we finally bought. I debated in the early years because the free dining was so lucrative, as that has disappeared and prices on hotels increased it has become a no brainer. The 10-20% discounts and cheap annual passes have ended up saving us quite a bit. We will be doing Aulani in 2020 as a break from the parks (we will have 3 trips from August 18 -August 19)

As a side note, we are fortunate to travel a lot for personal and business and still work in a Disney trip between other major ones since it feels easy and we aren’t crazy rushed to spend all the time at the parks while there.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Only regret I have is that I waited so long. My kids are older (middle/high school) and we still love it. We did about 6-7 trips before we finally bought. I debated in the early years because the free dining was so lucrative, as that has disappeared and prices on hotels increased it has become a no brainer. The 10-20% discounts and cheap annual passes have ended up saving us quite a bit. We will be doing Aulani in 2020 as a break from the parks (we will have 3 trips from August 18 -August 19)
If you haven't been there, you will love Aulani! We were there in March this year, and fell in love. Can't wait to go back now!

As a side note, we are fortunate to travel a lot for personal and business and still work in a Disney trip between other major ones since it feels easy and we aren’t crazy rushed to spend all the time at the parks while there.
We think that, for us at least, this is a benefit to owning DVC. Since we go there 2-4 times every year, we never commando the parks anymore, and have a much more relaxing vacation. If we miss an attraction for whatever reason, no biggie, as we know we will be back soon. This allows us to spend more time at the resorts with their amenities, and stop and smell the roses, as it were, when we are in the parks. We then don't need to take a vacation from our vacation when we get home.

We are the first to admit that owning DVC is not for everyone, but it works great for us.

imsosarah

If you haven't been there, you will love Aulani! We were there in March this year, and fell in love. Can't wait to go back now!

We think that, for us at least, this is a benefit to owning DVC. Since we go there 2-4 times every year, we never commando the parks anymore, and have a much more relaxing vacation. If we miss an attraction for whatever reason, no biggie, as we know we will be back soon. This allows us to spend more time at the resorts with their amenities, and stop and smell the roses, as it were, when we are in the parks. We then don't need to take a vacation from our vacation when we get home.

We are the first to admit that owning DVC is not for everyone, but it works great for us.

Great to hear! We did Kauai this year also in Spring but got stuck in the tropical storm and flooding so we had the least Hawaii version of Hawaii ever.

We spent a week at poly this summer to make up for it 😂

MickeyCB

ROFR took 20 days
Congratulations! We too are owners at the Poly. I apologize on commenting on your question so late, but just read your post.
We love the resort, my husband was actually in the Peace Corps in Samoa and he loves the Polynesian culture.
We have only one regret, and that is there are no 1 or 2 bedrooms at PVB. We bought in 2015 and while making our decision to buy, wrestled with our love of the resort and the foolish wish/hope that Disney would someday bring the room choices up to par with all of the other DVC resorts. This falls into what others have posted here, buy where you want to stay, but consider the lodging choices in that decision making. It's hilarious, my husband who had to be arm twisted into buying, admits he is spoiled with the 1 and 2 bedroom villas we have stayed in, in other resorts.

It's also an odd feeling once you buy. We initially felt a little trapped with the thought of "only being able to vacation at WDW", which is silly because there are many places to stay with your points. We in 4 years have stayed in multiple resorts at Disney World, Grand California in Disneyland, and 2 times at Hilton Head and we have a bucket list wish of hitting the Asian parks in 2020.

I too, as a poster above commented, have kept track from our first stay as members of the rack rate for our lodging and in 4 years have "recovered" two-thirds of the cost of our membership. Our yearly dues are approximately the cost of 1-2 nights at a DVC villa, so once we have broke even, it will clearly be of even greater benefit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom