Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrn14

I know it seems like I'm trolling... I never saw the original tiki room, but I actually enjoy the current one. The goddess anamatronic is one of the coolest ones on property and I would hate for them to take it out and put in a spinning fountain.

I actually love the pre-show with the bird agents I find it really funny.

I can see how some people are rubbed the wrong way by Iago,... but... go head and shoot me... I actually find him a bit funny. I've always liked the character and Gilbert Gotfriend in general is a hoot.

I don't much care for Zazoo he is kind of a bore...

The only part of the show I don't like is when they encourage the audience to dance or whatever (no thanks)

I mean is the original show as or more entertaining or does everyone just love it for the nostalgia factor..

Is it just a bunch of small anamtronic birds opening and closes their beaks?

Educate me people.

boufa

I understand that we all love what we love, but recently I heard it mentioned that Walt never intended the parks to be museums. He placed the stated goal of always trying new things, to always be pushing the envelope and to always be tweaking attractions.

Sure they will miss sometimes, but this desire to ensure that any original ride is never touched I think is off the mark. Part of what keeps Disney alive is the fact that it is an ever evolving creature that is just a little different each time. On the front page of this forum is a sticky that lists the work permits on file for each and every little thing that WDW does. Why is it there, because we want to see our favorite place grow and change. We don't want to see Tomorrowland start to look like yesterdayland (any more than it does)

Personally, I hope they are creating a new and different show. Sure, it should incorporate some of the great things that worked, and pay homage to prior versions, but be unique.

Atomicmickey

I guess I don't mind them keeping the goddess--for my money, it doesn't have to be the EXACT same show as the original--I just wish that it would capture the SPIRIT of the original show.

Honestly, two main changes would make me happy. One, to be rid of Iago. The voice just grates on me, that's beef number one. Even Zazu could stay, at least he has some dignity. But anyway . . .

Number two would be to hear the whole Tiki, Tiki, song. I mean, that's the signature tune of the attraction.

A third--not necessary, but favored in my view, would be to keep the music ALL Tiki/Polynesian/Original, and ditch the Gloria Estefan. It can be popular-type music, but keep it original and more tightly themed.

Only time will tell if my wishes will come true, and, of course, I know that my wishes aren't the same as everyone else's.

meanmice

I don't remember the original version at WDW, but I've been to the DL version and I hate to say it, but it was kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the opening song and there were a few others that I found enjoyable, but by the end of the show, I was ready to leave. That being said, it's not that I love or hate UNM, I more so tolerate it. Iago and Zazoo irritate me to no end, but the more recent music is enjoyable. Perhaps we can come up with some sort of blend of the old version with a few newer songs added in and ditch the whole UNM concept. You know, just an updated, or "plussed", version of the classic.

acr123

I would be fine with an plussed version of the original. Just like the person a couple posts above said....just so the music fits the original feel and style of the original show. It would be cool if they added more fountains and water/light show features to the show.

Buried20KLeague

I loved the DL and original WDW version as a child and my wife were frankly offended the one time we saw UNM. This thread caused me to read about the history of the attraction and the different versions that are out there. Wikipedia has an awesome article on this. I couldn't help noticing though that in 1999 TDL updated their Tiki room to "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Now Playing "Get the Fever!", a madcap Las Vegas-style nightclub show in the middle of the jungle. In January of 2008, TDL closed it again and reopened it on July 25, 2008 as "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents Aloha e Komo Mai!". I know how much peeps on this board LOVE Stitch, so.....who is to say that TDO wouldn't treat us all to a version of the new TDL show? Feel free to discuss....meanwhile I and my flameproof suit will now run for cover...:wave:

There's a thread somewhere that talks about the idea of the Stitch AA from tomorrowland being repurposed to bring a version of the TDL show to WDW. The animatronics are nearly identical.

It would "kill two birds with one stone". Ha.

The TDL Tiki Room show is great. It's the nice, hawaiian Stitch at the end of the show. Not the chili dog burping stitch. And he's not there for the entire show... Just comes out for the end for a bit.

It's much better than UNM. Plus, they could keep one chamber going in tomorrowland, if they wanted to. Capacity doesn't require both to be running at once often, anyway.

Buried20KLeague

I've seen videos of "Tiki-Stitch" and it really wasn't that bad.:lookaroun While I'm not exactly a Stitch fan, the show at least still had a Polynesian theme.

It's not bad at all. It's a good show. I think it would be a good fit at WDW, and draw in bigger crowds than UNM does, at least.

If they changed it, and then moved the entrance of the attraction to the walkway that leads to PoTC (instead of hidden behind the Carpets), plus added tiki torches? They'd increase attendance big time.

Problem is... I don't think they care.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I guess I don't mind them keeping the goddess--for my money, it doesn't have to be the EXACT same show as the original--I just wish that it would capture the SPIRIT of the original show.

Honestly, two main changes would make me happy. One, to be rid of Iago. The voice just grates on me, that's beef number one. Even Zazu could stay, at least he has some dignity. But anyway . . .

Number two would be to hear the whole Tiki, Tiki, song. I mean, that's the signature tune of the attraction.

A third--not necessary, but favored in my view, would be to keep the music ALL Tiki/Polynesian/Original, and ditch the Gloria Estefan. It can be popular-type music, but keep it original and more tightly themed.

Only time will tell if my wishes will come true, and, of course, I know that my wishes aren't the same as everyone else's.

I second this. With the original Tiki Room being my favorite attraction as a child, it has a strong nostalgia factor for me that I will admit sways me heavily toward the original version. If they followed the above though, I could see myself happy with a new show.

Iago, I dont think anyone will argue too hard if he's gone. As folks have said, at least Stitch fits the theme of the attraction. Personally, I think that sticking the very cartoony Disney characters next to the birds that look very lifelike just makes it look wierd. Either choose realism or cartoon, dont mix the two.

The Tiki Room song is a classic, one of the best theme park tunes ever written IMO. Change up the show all you want, leave the original song, in it's entirety.

Also, it's The Tiki Room. The songs should reflect the theme. I know that the original did not have 100% Hawaiian/Polynesean music, but I would suggest staying in this musical genre would help. The songs would seem more timeless if they all at least fit with the theme of the attraction. Timelessness here is key. The bad covers of songs that have not been popular in years date the attraction badly. I'd be happy with The Tiki Room song,a tune from Lilo and Stitch, the Hawaiian War Chant, and maybe a cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Over the Rainbow if they really wanted to shorten the show up.

MMFanCipher

I second this. With the original Tiki Room being my favorite attraction as a child, it has a strong nostalgia factor for me that I will admit sways me heavily toward the original version. If they followed the above though, I could see myself happy with a new show.

Iago, I dont think anyone will argue too hard if he's gone. As folks have said, at least Stitch fits the theme of the attraction. Personally, I think that sticking the very cartoony Disney characters next to the birds that look very lifelike just makes it look wierd. Either choose realism or cartoon, dont mix the two.

The Tiki Room song is a classic, one of the best theme park tunes ever written IMO. Change up the show all you want, leave the original song, in it's entirety.

Also, it's The Tiki Room. The songs should reflect the theme. I know that the original did not have 100% Hawaiian/Polynesean music, but I would suggest staying in this musical genre would help. The songs would seem more timeless if they all at least fit with the theme of the attraction. Timelessness here is key. The bad covers of songs that have not been popular in years date the attraction badly. I'd be happy with The Tiki Room song,a tune from Lilo and Stitch, the Hawaiian War Chant, and maybe a cover of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Over the Rainbow if they really wanted to shorten the show up.

That would be a nice addition.

puntagordabob

I don't remember the original version at WDW, but I've been to the DL version and I hate to say it, but it was kind of boring.

Though I respect your opinion...... IMHO The DL version is AWESOME!!! Under New Management is not so much.... I believe the Imagineers who were forced to create UNM had good intentions, but in the case of the Tiki Room I believe whole heartedly that Walt's group got it right the first time....

People still "flock" to the DL Tiki Room (sorry, some Tiki Bird humor there lol) .... it is so Magical to see Generations (Great Grandma ---> little Baby) sitting together all getting into the show...singing, clapping, laughing, whistling, etc...... Walt Disney had an extremely large part in the creation of this show and it is clearly a timeless hit that is as magical now as it was in 1963! Sure there are bumps and such in any attractions numbers.....but Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room has been at Disneyland for almost 50 years now and today it is almost always playing to a full house...

As for WDW... TDO: Please give Jose back his show so we can all Sing Like the Birdies Sing once again Under Walt's Management! :) I'll even volunteer to help to paint the new sign, though I am not a very good painter! :)

Did Knee

Interesting....after my earlier posts in this thread, I expected the folks who used to rail against the "stitchification" of the parks to chime in en masse. Instead I see some praise for the TDL stitch show. I'd like to be clear to all where I stand. I love the original and hate UNM. I understand some like it, but I found it completely revolting. That being said, I'm not against updating or the inclusion of new elements, even bringing the TDL Stitch show to WDW. My preference is for restoration of the original, but if an update keeps the feel and theming of the original by and large in place, (and hopefully some of the original songs), I would have no problem with that.

aladdin2007

Interesting....after my earlier posts in this thread, I expected the folks who used to rail against the "stitchification" of the parks to chime in en masse. Instead I see some praise for the TDL stitch show. I'd like to be clear to all where I stand. I love the original and hate UNM. I understand some like it, but I found it completely revolting. That being said, I'm not against updating or the inclusion of new elements, even bringing the TDL Stitch show to WDW. My preference is for restoration of the original, but if an update keeps the feel and theming of the original by and large in place, (and hopefully some of the original songs), I would have no problem with that.

Agreed and this is the best gift they could give for the 40th since they arent going to do much else and no new parade etc, that we know of.

I know it seems like I'm trolling... I never saw the original tiki room, but I actually enjoy the current one. The goddess anamatronic is one of the coolest ones on property and I would hate for them to take it out and put in a spinning fountain.

I actually love the pre-show with the bird agents I find it really funny.

I can see how some people are rubbed the wrong way by Iago,... but... go head and shoot me... I actually find him a bit funny. I've always liked the character and Gilbert Gotfriend in general is a hoot.

I don't much care for Zazoo he is kind of a bore...

The only part of the show I don't like is when they encourage the audience to dance or whatever (no thanks)

I mean is the original show as or more entertaining or does everyone just love it for the nostalgia factor..

Is it just a bunch of small anamtronic birds opening and closes their beaks?

Educate me people.

For one thing, the original show is known for its first time use of audio-animatronics. It was a huge leap in technology at the time; they spoke and sang to each other as though they were real, as well as performing for the audience. They moved, they blinked, they breathed. It's a lot more than just "birds opening and closing their beaks."

It also depended on a lot of its own wit and humor rather than relying on the personalities and entertainment of characters from Disney's most recent or popular films. It was an original and creative idea; the additions of Iago and Zazu were pretty much unnecessary.

It's completely fine if you like the Under New Management edition (I myself enjoy the preshow as well), but as you wanted I'm just educating you a bit. :)

Expo_Seeker40

Refurb now extended until June 30th.

Glad in 2005 Disneyland transfered the Tiki Show onto a digital recording which will be very easy for programmers in Florida to do once they get their hands on the copy. :cool: :D :sohappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom