Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disnyfan89

There was a fire during a performance in, I believe, early January. Rumors say there was some attic damage and that it originated in the Iago animatronic, which was destroyed. It was originally to be shut down for a couple months so that Iago could be replaced. The refurb has now been extended to early summer, leading to hopeful speculation that the original may return.
The earliest reports by those in the know never pointed to Tiki opening earlier than June. The original report was always they where estimating a June/July reopening. Steve posted an earlier opening then reported it had been pushed to June but June was always the target from the beginning. Even now there is no "offical" opening date for tiki.

puntagordabob

I know you all talking about fires are joking... but perhaps it would be better to say it in another way...I know if I was making a joke like that and then something like that happened resulting in death, injury, extensive damage to something (like the entire dome at SSE) etc....that I would never ever forgive myself....

Perhaps a better way to say it is like "Walt was on vacation from heaven and saw the attraction and said NO THIS WILL NOT DO...."

I love the Tiki Room... if the fire had been worse it could have literally DESTROYED the building to where it would be an empty plot of land... and that would have made me very very sad. Translate that to YOUR favorite spot at WDW and youll know how I mean when i say it would have made you feel sad.....

Now as for the Tiki Room.... I am hopeful that soon we might get an announcement that will make so many of us who loved the Original happy by bringing the DL version here... seems like the time should be approaching when something might either be leaked on what EXACTLY they are doing (IE: no doubt in what they are doing), or perhaps even a formal announcement....

Assuming the DL show is coming, I really plan on being at the 1st show (probably the 2nd too if they do not kick me out the door hehe). Maybe theyll have a D23 event or passholder event even.... I will certainly call, write, beg, etc to be at the first show.... :)

NoChesterHester

Here is the thing for me... I can't remember the original show. I know I saw it, but I just dont remember it.

I've heard the music on MWR plenty of times and it is so much more timeless than the blaring obnoxiousness of Gilbert Gotfried's character.

All I know is that I dislike the UNM version. It hasn't aged well and screams of the short period in which it was conceived.

I am hopeful that we are going to see at least some sort of modified show when it finally reopens.

KaliSplash

I'm probably the only person here who misses the original pre-show the most. I loved the part where one of the characters was describing the story and the other was making sound effect noises. Blaring elephants, (blare), roaring lions (roar) and alligators lurking ("lurk, Lurk!")

My favorite part of the whole thing.

That being said, I do prefer the original show to the new management version.

Did Knee

I loved the DL and original WDW version as a child and my wife were frankly offended the one time we saw UNM. This thread caused me to read about the history of the attraction and the different versions that are out there. Wikipedia has an awesome article on this. I couldn't help noticing though that in 1999 TDL updated their Tiki room to "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Now Playing "Get the Fever!", a madcap Las Vegas-style nightclub show in the middle of the jungle. In January of 2008, TDL closed it again and reopened it on July 25, 2008 as "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents Aloha e Komo Mai!". I know how much peeps on this board LOVE Stitch, so.....who is to say that TDO wouldn't treat us all to a version of the new TDL show? Feel free to discuss....meanwhile I and my flameproof suit will now run for cover...:wave:

aladdin2007

I loved the DL and original WDW version as a child and my wife were frankly offended the one time we saw UNM. This thread caused me to read about the history of the attraction and the different versions that are out there. Wikipedia has an awesome article on this. I couldn't help noticing though that in 1999 TDL updated their Tiki room to "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Now Playing "Get the Fever!", a madcap Las Vegas-style nightclub show in the middle of the jungle. In January of 2008, TDL closed it again and reopened it on July 25, 2008 as "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Stitch Presents Aloha e Komo Mai!". I know how much peeps on this board LOVE Stitch, so.....who is to say that TDO wouldn't treat us all to a version of the new TDL show? Feel free to discuss....meanwhile I and my flameproof suit will now run for cover...:wave:

I dont think TDO would spend the money on a new Stitch animatronic when it is just down the way in Tomorrowland that could be repurposed, and then something else for stitch's great escape. Which at one time, there was a plan to do just that.

Did Knee

I dont think TDO would spend the money on a new Stitch animatronic when it is just down the way in Tomorrowland that could be repurposed, and then something else for stitch's great escape. Which at one time, there was a plan to do just that.

Awesome...turn the Tiki room over to Stitch, and give us back Extra-Terrestrial Alien Encounter. We would have an awesome attraction back, and even getting stitch would be better for the Tiki room then keeping UNM

The Duck

I've seen videos of "Tiki-Stitch" and it really wasn't that bad.:lookaroun While I'm not exactly a Stitch fan, the show at least still had a Polynesian theme.

Rob562

Hmmm... Maybe I should cross my fingers that one of the Stitch theaters closes "for extended refurbishment" after the spring vacation rush is over... I'm sure the Stitch attraction could survive with only one operational theater until such time as they come up with a replacement for that space (which I'd hope could be a return to Alien Encounter, though I doubt it)

-Rob

pppapazo

I've seen videos of "Tiki-Stitch" and it really wasn't that bad.:lookaroun While I'm not exactly a Stitch fan, the show at least still had a Polynesian theme.

Agreed. I was surprised at how fun the Stitch version of the show seemed and how well it played, as someone who didn't speak Japanese. I'm not his biggest fan either, but the spirit of the show seemed celebratory, not self-loathing like Under New Management does.

Enchantâmes

Agreed. I was surprised at how fun the Stitch version of the show seemed and how well it played, as someone who didn't speak Japanese. I'm not his biggest fan either, but the spirit of the show seemed celebratory, not self-loathing like Under New Management does.
If you listen to Iago's Dialogue in the first half of the show its like listening to Eisner telling Imagineers his opinion of the original show...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom