Any news on The Tiki Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mukta

I'm sure they won't let us down, and that is indeed the plan.

I can't imagine why they would have the show closed this long if they were just fixing some fire damage and bringing back UNM. I'm sure TDO has a little 40th Anniversary present up their sleeves for us, and the original Tropical Serenade is coming back this June.

Was that version the same as what we have in DL now?

aladdin2007

I'm sure they won't let us down, and that is indeed the plan.

I can't imagine why they would have the show closed this long if they were just fixing some fire damage and bringing back UNM. I'm sure TDO has a little 40th Anniversary present up their sleeves for us, and the original Tropical Serenade is coming back this June.

I like your thinking and agree! But at the same time we also know TDO's reputation and track record on these kinds of things.

puntagordabob

Yes, but Disneyland's version (2005) omitted Offenbach. Our Tropical Serenade had the Offenbach segment, but when DL reopened the refurbed Tiki Room in '05, Offenbach was cut out.

Im OK with the Offenbach being omitted as it is in the DLR show... many of you know that I am perhaps Jose's Biggest Fan .....so when I say that this is because the Disneyland show is "Just Right" imho that it (God willing!) will be a huge roaring success at the MK!

I have to ask. What exactly happened at the Tiki Room? A fire? How? I am totally lost and would appreciate some elaboration. @___@

But if they are bringing the original back, that would be absolutely fantastic. I'm 17 and sadly have not experienced the original show in person. Even though it's all I've seen, UNM grew painful for me to watch VERY quickly.

jmuboy

June is how it stands now. Its all been very hush hush as to exactly what is going on. This is their chance though to make it good again. There is the 40th anniversary coming up, chattering around and about says they wanted the original show to come back for it. So will see. :shrug:

DL restored its Tiki Room for its 50th. Refurished all the animated birds, tikis, flowers, etc. I hope that WDW takes a lesson from DL and does something classy for the 40th like give us the original show again.

jmuboy

Yes, but Disneyland's version (2005) omitted Offenbach. Our Tropical Serenade had the Offenbach segment, but when DL reopened the refurbed Tiki Room in '05, Offenbach was cut out.

I'd be ok if the WDW show reopened minus the Offenbach number. The DL version is like 15 mins. A perfect length for this type of show. Just long enough to relax and have fun. But not too long to be boring or drag on.

aladdin2007

I'd be ok if the WDW show reopened minus the Offenbach number. The DL version is like 15 mins. A perfect length for this type of show. Just long enough to relax and have fun. But not too long to be boring or drag on.

I think people would flock to it if the original comes back, no pun intended. :D

TinkerBell9988

I agree... Although I love listening to the Offenbach segment, nothing interesting happens "visually" during that part in the show. I always got a little tired during that part when I was a little girl... :lol:

Disneyland's Tiki Room would be a perfect fit in our Magic Kingdom.

Ignohippo

I have to ask. What exactly happened at the Tiki Room? A fire? How? I am totally lost and would appreciate some elaboration. @___@

But if they are bringing the original back, that would be absolutely fantastic. I'm 17 and sadly have not experienced the original show in person. Even though it's all I've seen, UNM grew painful for me to watch VERY quickly.

There was a fire during a performance in, I believe, early January. Rumors say there was some attic damage and that it originated in the Iago animatronic, which was destroyed. It was originally to be shut down for a couple months so that Iago could be replaced. The refurb has now been extended to early summer, leading to hopeful speculation that the original may return.

SeaCastle

The fire occured between performances and was limited to the attic of the structure, where Iago was at the time. Besides Iago being scorched, there was minimal fire damage, but water damage from the sprinklers was significant. There never was supposed to be a short, three month refurb following the fire. The June date, from what I understand, is not set either.

Work in the preshow (where there was no damage) seems to indicate that the show is being modified. The way I've read it, it is much more of a liability to keep the current show rather than put in a new one. Rumors point to a "return to Tiki glory", in the words of Magicot on these boards.

Thrill

I like your thinking and agree! But at the same time we also know TDO's reputation and track record on these kinds of things.

You have to keep in mind the timing of this situation. TDO would not waste time closing an attraction in a park with low capacity as is due to Toontown's closure if it weren't necessary. As far as I know, TDO is generally pretty eager to get things back up quickly, even when decreased park capacity is not involved. Chances are, they wouldn't leave the Tiki Room closed until June without doing something worthy of a five month or so closure.

Skyway

I'm sure the biggest factor for TDO is the cost of an Iago AA replacement and re-installation.

Surely they do not expect UNM to run another decade. So is it cost-effective to build a new AA?

Of course, it cannot be cheap to restore the original show either. Besides removing and repainting all of the UNM elements (like disco lights), there's also the removal of the Goddess (one of the more sophisticated AA's built) and replacing it with a fountain (unless they go the cheap route and put a floral display in the middle).

Also, does anyone know if the 70's era show controls and technology were updated in the 90's. If not, it may be easier to restore the original show programming. But if it is a new control system, that means the entire show may need to be re-programmed--and that will cost money.

jmuboy

I wonder if WDW would dare keep this closed until 10/1/11? Then reopen as our 40th anniversary "gift to life long WDW fans" (you know how it would go)

It would be neat if WDW gave us a few small announcements for the 40th - this reopening being one of them.

Its pretty obvious the plan, whatever it is, is still fluid and probably has changed a great deal since the original fire as they started looking at the cost to just restore the original show and make damage repairs to the theater. I'm guessing that's when someone said - why not a new (or return of the old show) now instead???

In the long run this fire could be good for the fans.

And was the original show "The Enchanted Tiki Room presents The Tropical Serenade" Why was ours called the Tropical Serenade? I remember the different name as a kid when I first went to WDW.

puntagordabob

And was the original show "The Enchanted Tiki Room presents The Tropical Serenade" Why was ours called the Tropical Serenade? I remember the different name as a kid when I first went to WDW.

I remember "The Enchanted Tiki Birds" and "The Tropical Serenade".... of course I'm old now and the memory is not always as good! :)

Why not just call it "Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room"???? Have a subtitle on the sign with "The Tropical Serenade"......

pppapazo

Of course, it cannot be cheap to restore the original show either. Besides removing and repainting all of the UNM elements (like disco lights), there's also the removal of the Goddess (one of the more sophisticated AA's built) and replacing it with a fountain (unless they go the cheap route and put a floral display in the middle).

Hey, I wouldn't be mad if they found a way to incorporate the Goddess Uh-oha into the original Tiki Room show somehow. She's the only part of the UNM version I was genuinely impressed by.

NoChesterHester

Which attraction should catch fire so it can be updated next?

Imagination?
Stitch?
Great Movie Ride?

Get 'er done!

Imagination needs dynamite, not a small fire. Total redo required.

Great movie ride just needs some updating.

Stitch... Not in bad shape, just turrible show. Turrible. Anything would be better really.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
My wife and I were talking about it. We had not planned a return trip until late 2012, but if they brought back the original Tiki Room show this year, we might try to squeeze in a long weekend trip just to see it!

There was a fire during a performance in, I believe, early January. Rumors say there was some attic damage and that it originated in the Iago animatronic, which was destroyed. It was originally to be shut down for a couple months so that Iago could be replaced. The refurb has now been extended to early summer, leading to hopeful speculation that the original may return.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Work in the preshow (where there was no damage) seems to indicate that the show is being modified. The way I've read it, it is much more of a liability to keep the current show rather than put in a new one. Rumors point to a "return to Tiki glory", in the words of Magicot on these boards.

Them changing the preshow makes me a little upset, I'm rather fond of Phil Hartman and will miss one of his final performances in the attraction.

Unless they are going to make a carbon copy of the original, low-tech Iago animatronic, it makes no sense to have a newer, more fluent one occupy the show while the others (which, from my understanding, have also been significantly damaged) surround it. They may be working on replacing all of them (or just Zazu, Iago, and the Tiki Goddess of Disaster); that may be why it's being pushed back? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom