Any hope for MK's Space Mountain?

Budke

Question: I was under the impression that, while space mountain was the first enclosed coaster, it is really just a clone of the Matterhorn at Disneyland with space themeing. Having never ridden the Matterhorn, I have no idea if there is an ounce of truth to that.

Wait, that wasn't a question.

Question: Is SM similar to the Matterhorn's ride layout?

slappy magoo

Hey, you know what Space Mountain needs?

STITCH!

A complete Stitch-ification of Space Mountain! STITCH Mountain! That would be awesome! Imagine getting a whiff of chili dogs at every other corner! Or getting spit upon! And then hearing children's voices in the speakers behind you telling you how cool it all is! That would be da bomb!

(I shouldn't have to say this but in case any of the stupider Disney execs are trolling around looking for ideas, I AM SO NOT SERIOUS!)

yoyoflamingo

Epcot82Guy said:
I really don't think SM would make a top 10 list for a refurb right now. I definitely think it could use some small cosmetic changes such as darkening the ride (possibly by placing a roof over the queue), but I think:
1. Mansion
2. SSE
3. CoP
4. Peter Pan
5. Pirates
6. Great Movie Ride
7. Imagination (whole pavilion, yes, again)
8. Living Seas (Sea Cabs)
9. All film parts of WS attractions (except France and China).
10. The American Adventure (mostly the ending).

could all use help before SM.

Don't forget Splash Mountain!

stitchcastle

slappy magoo said:
Hey, you know what Space Mountain needs?

STITCH!

A complete Stitch-ification of Space Mountain! STITCH Mountain! That would be awesome! Imagine getting a whiff of chili dogs at every other corner! Or getting spit upon! And then hearing children's voices in the speakers behind you telling you how cool it all is! That would be da bomb!

(I shouldn't have to say this but in case any of the stupider Disney execs are trolling around looking for ideas, I AM SO NOT SERIOUS!)

Oi with the stitch hate already!

I personally think that they are waiting for a special occassion to rehab Space Mountain, and I agree what most people are saying, there are so much more attractions that are in desperate need of rehabs.

The only reason everyone's been lobbying for rehabs all over the place is because of the fantastic new additions and effects to Disneyland's classics. They can't wait to have them cloned in Florida.

awalte7

I think SM orlando needs some help. The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy would be a wonderful idea. It doesn't look very futuristic to me, just kinda cheesy. You don't even really have to change the ride just the effects. When you have thrill rides like the tower of terror and rock n rollercoaster at MGM SM looks pale in comparison. People actually GO to disneyworld to ride SM, when you ask kids what they think of when you say disney they say SM or splash mountain. Keep your big ticket attractions looking great.
Oh and in IMO the boy on that RCpro website is so cute...I don't get out much.

wdwishes2005

dave2822 said:
Do you (or anyone) know exactly how much area they are working with though? It's what, like 180 feet, and completely contained, it wasn't really designed for a massive roller coaster, hence the wild mouse.

You probably couldn't fit a very large coaster in there, maybe they have more space than what they are currently using now, because by the track layout presently it doesn't seem like space is abundant.

Any educated guesses as to how much bigger or faster a coaster could actually be built in there?

if you took out both tracks, i bet you could fit RnRc in there.

anyone have the exact amount of space space mountain has Vs. RnRC?

azune

I have just returned last night from DLP and I have to say that although I was always a great fan of space mountain in WDW and DL the one in Paris is absolutely awesome. The soundtrack is incredible the speed and experience inside it is superb it is easily the best space mountain I have ever been on. Florida needs this ride version!

stitchcastle

azune said:
I have just returned last night from DLP and I have to say that although I was always a great fan of space mountain in WDW and DL the one in Paris is absolutely awesome. The soundtrack is incredible the speed and experience inside it is superb it is easily the best space mountain I have ever been on. Florida needs this ride version!

I've always imagined the DLP Space Mountain being part of a Floridian version of DisneySea....:)

Lee

Adventurer
Budke said:
Question: I was under the impression that, while space mountain was the first enclosed coaster, it is really just a clone of the Matterhorn at Disneyland with space themeing. Having never ridden the Matterhorn, I have no idea if there is an ounce of truth to that.

Wait, that wasn't a question.

Question: Is SM similar to the Matterhorn's ride layout?

Similarities:
-Double track.
-Narrow gauge track.
-Boblsed style seating.
-Similar block-braking system.

The layout - Not even close.

maxime29

Premium Member
I don't know what some of you mean by the ride being jerky, bumpy, etc... A number of factors can play into whether each ride goes smoothly. After riding SM many times, I personally don't recollect having a bad ride.

But really, I approve of a good rehab. A general TLC, maybe new track and wider cars (due to the increase of sizes of people from the 70s to today), don't care if ride audio is included, the ride being darker is sort of pointless since it's fine as it is. The queue line I'm sort of attatched to (such as the space map in the entrance lobby and the music jingles), so I will be sad to see these go.

clarkstallings

I think that Space Mountain could use a little TLC. There are some rough spots throughout the attraction. I do not think that it needs a sound system and entire interior retheming. The track is structurally sound and doesn't need replacing. SM is the only coaster at Disney that is actually thrilling to me to this very day and I like it because of that. I think it may be because I'm very tall and feel vulnerable sitting in those low cars. I'm sure other people know what I'm talking about. With every other coaster in the world, the cars feel like a cocoon around you so you feel very protected.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
clarkstallings said:
SM is the only coaster at Disney that is actually thrilling to me to this very day and I like it because of that. I think it may be because I'm very tall and feel vulnerable sitting in those low cars. I'm sure other people know what I'm talking about. With every other coaster in the world, the cars feel like a cocoon around you so you feel very protected.
:lol:
Oh yes....DUCK... relax....DUCK.....relax.....DUCK :lol:

But, having never gone on any other Space Mountain except the one @WDW , I really cant compare it.

Diego Lira

I really love the MK space mountain........the layout is really cool, and the queue music is really cool to, what i dont like is that the ride is in not complete darkness.

wdwishes2005

maxime29 said:
I don't know what some of you mean by the ride being jerky, bumpy, etc... A number of factors can play into whether each ride goes smoothly. After riding SM many times, I personally don't recollect having a bad ride.

But really, I approve of a good rehab. A general TLC, maybe new track and wider cars (due to the increase of sizes of people from the 70s to today), don't care if ride audio is included, the ride being darker is sort of pointless since it's fine as it is. The queue line I'm sort of attatched to (such as the space map in the entrance lobby and the music jingles), so I will be sad to see these go.

i would love to see the current track layout go bye-bye, but i would hope that when SM gets fefurbed that the queue remains the same, i love it. and i think the exit is soo funny b/c you just got off what some people might think of as a scary coaster and you exit to elevator music.

CaptainMichael

jmuboy said:
There are so many problems with the MK right now, Space Mt just falls down on the priority list.

Yep, but unfortunately, as Speck76 points out, it is still the most visited park in Orlando. Disney will ride that popularity until a time when things have been neglected so long that everything will need to rehabbed at one time. ie: what just happened at Disneyland Resort California.

Like someone sad earlier. Matt Quimet needs to be transferred to WDW. :drevil:
(For those who don't know, Matt Quimet is the man who just fixed Disneyland)

Figment1986

What i think is untill they have to weld pieces of steel onto the track to make it safer.. nothing will change...

(I heard DL had to add steel here and there.. untill the ride was unsafe..)

tirian

A few notes about WDW/DL's Space Mountain...

I recently spoke to a fellow CM who rode the soft opening of SM at DL. He told me that he was extremely disappointed in everything but a few of the projections, and he felt like he did nothing but "make a lot of right turns." (I have personally never ridden SM at DL). In his opinion, if WDW's SM got the same paint job and some of the projectors, it would be much better than DL's, even if Imagineers didn't change the track.

On a side note, there is a side-by-side SM car backstage at the MK. I wonder why that's there?

As for everyone who complains about how bumpy WDW's SM is, I want to know how many coasters you've ridden. Despite its age, SM is quite smooth compared to many newer steel coasters I've experienced. The only parts of SM that annoy me are the light leaks when you pass near the exit!

jholiiday

dave2822 said:
An IASW rehab would make me happy, but it's not happening in the near future, we're talking years here. There is a lot more money well spent in WDW than shutting down and fixing a wildly popular attraction in the #1 most attended park in the U.S.

They did rehab IASW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom