Any guesses as to park capacity and park rules for this summer?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I realize that nobody really knows anything for sure at this point, but what kind of capacity do you think we might reach by summer, given how the vaccines are becoming more and more available and states are starting to loosen if not altogether eliminate restrictions?

Also, if things keep trending in a positive direction, does anyone think mask requirements might be relaxed at all? Like for example, maybe not mandated when outside?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I always appreciate hearing what my fellow Disney fanatics are thinking!

havoc315

Guesses will be plenty, but I’ll play:

1. mandatory masks continue, at least in queues and indoors. Masks don’t limit capacity, they will be among the last things to go.
2. queue social distancing reduced to 3 feet by April/May.
3. Return of some night entertainment, and some shows. Probably not Magic Kingdom fireworks for a while. But I’d be surprised if there were no Epcot fireworks by July 4th (Epcot Forever or Harmonious)
4. Capacity increased to at least 45-50% by summer.
5. More dining opens, more dining capacity.
6. Early Entry launches for on-site guests by some point in the late summer.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My HOPE is that by July 4th fireworks return, meet n greets return, entertainment returns, social distancing is reduced (maybe not eliminated everywhere), capacity increases to normal levels, and then maybe hold on to the mask mandate for the rest of the month just to cover their butts.

bdearl41

My HOPE is that by July 4th fireworks return, meet n greets return, entertainment returns, social distancing is reduced (maybe not eliminated everywhere), capacity increases to normal levels, and then maybe hold on to the mask mandate for the rest of the month just to cover their butts.
I think this is pretty realistic. My guess tells me WDW would like to be back to normal for the 50th but I think the biggest issue will be getting staffing up to need

FantasiaMickey2000

I think you will still be looking at very limited entertainment offerings and the majority of restrictions in the summer. The most obvious sign of this to me is there is still no re-opening date for 2 of the all stars and both port orleans resorts. That would be a lot of money left on the table for Disney to not have those open with things back to 100%. So I think until you see re-opening dates for those announced, you won’t be seeing fireworks or most stage shows. Realistically, to negotiate with the union and get employees back and trained, I think you’re looking at a 1-2 month lag time for anything being announced. So at this point, the earliest I think we would see any relaxations to restrictions or added entertainment is June. I think your best bet is October 1 as Disney would want to push the 50th anniversary, but if you look at how many people have already booked rooms for the 50th, Disney may not feel the need to rush back more expenses.

JIMINYCR

With the increase in vaccinations rolling out throughout the states and numbers of people able to receive their 1 or 2 shots depending on the type they are able to get... sure we will see a nice upturn in numbers. If and when peoples confidence in traveling, bookings increase, Disney promoting incentives to attract guests back, summer time should look promising. Disney will jump at the chance to up the numbers, bring back entertainment and events. I think if the results of vaccinations can show promising immunity rates, the masks will slowly be discontinued. Its been long enough and the American people wont abide by restrictions that continue on and on when they start seeming unnecessary.

aliceismad

I'm guessing capacity will rise and it will feel crowded. The way it was explained to me is that if they're open at 50% capacity, that's not 50% of the usual crowd for that time of year; it's 50% of the park's total capacity, which it almost never hits. (I think NYE 2019 MK actually closed for capacity?) So say the capacity of Magic Kingdom is 100K, the actual number of people in the park could be as high as 50K.

I hope they can lower social distancing to 3 ft and open some of additional attractions and dining. Some shows/areas are currently being used as overflow lines.

Per another thread, masks are anticipated through the end of the year? https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-will-they-do-this.972165/page-5#post-9706757

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
People are talking like there's all this demand that is being limited by capacity, but that hasn't been the case. Prior to Spring Break, the only park that has been really limited by capacity has been Hollywood Studios.

(I think NYE 2019 MK actually closed for capacity?)
Parks routinely hit capacity Christmas week just about every year.

aliceismad

People are talking like there's all this demand that is being limited by capacity, but that hasn't been the case. Prior to Spring Break, the only park that has been really limited by capacity has been Hollywood Studios.

I didn't realize many of the parks hit capacity at Christmas. I thought that was usually just MK. I would never, ever go during that week. :)

JustAFan

I was just there last weekend. Hollywood Studios was about as busy as I've seen it. Areas of MK were very busy as well. I'm sure social distancing in the queue lines played a part as it pushed guests from cramming into queues to waiting on main walkways. The lack of FastPass probably played a part as well. With that said, it sure felt like Disney World was already fully open and packed to the gills.

FantasiaMickey2000

I think there’s a lot of demand by people who are waiting for a variety of reasons (want their vaccine first, want fireworks, won’t go until they don’t need to wear a mask, want fastpasses, etc) that aren’t willing to go now but would like to go once things are “back to normal”. For example, I am one of those people. I’ve cancelled trips for last fall and this spring and pushed to this fall at the moment. My demand is there, just not at the current environment. And I’d imagine there are a lot of people like me.

aliceismad

I think there’s a lot of demand by people who are waiting for a variety of reasons (want their vaccine first, want fireworks, won’t go until they don’t need to wear a mask, want fastpasses, etc) that aren’t willing to go now but would like to go once things are “back to normal”. For example, I am one of those people. I’ve cancelled trips for last fall and this spring and pushed to this fall at the moment. My demand is there, just not at the current environment. And I’d imagine there are a lot of people like me.
Once people get their vaccinations, I expect demand for all kinds of domestic travel to go up.

bdearl41

I’m in that group.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I’m in that group.
I'm half in that group. I'm going to Disney in a few weeks because I'm desperate to do SOMETHING, I have a huge pile of vacation time, I've been to Disney a thousand times so I'm not desperate to do everything, and I have little kids, so we never stayed up for fireworks or parades anyways. That said, I'll be cancelling my November trip to Aulani unless masks are gone, plexiglass is down, and the kids' club is open.

phillip9698

There are boxes that people check when planning a Disney trip. Meet and Greets, parades, and fireworks definitely are a couple of boxes and as each of those things come back online you will see an uptick in demand from people who wont book a trip without them. I know a couple families armed with stimulus checks that are willing to plan a trip the moment meet and greets are back.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There are boxes that people check when planning a Disney trip. Meet and Greets, parades, and fireworks definitely are a couple of boxes and as each of those things come back online you will see an uptick in demand from people who wont book a trip without them. I know a couple families armed with stimulus checks that are willing to plan a trip the moment meet and greets are back.
Demand will drive the return of those offerings, not the other way around.

aliceismad

None of those offerings were dropped due to a lack of demand. As more people become vaccinated and regulations are eased they will come back and the people will follow.
I would hope so. If more people visit, they will need more things for people to do at the very least. But will Disney need to see a dip in customer satisfaction (some sort of vocal demand?) before they reinstate some things?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom