Any gardeners out there?

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
Curious if anyone else is planning their Spring & Summer garden now. Here in the South we have that last-ditch window of opportunity for the winter crops. I've just started 4 different kinds of broccoli seeds inside...so excited!

So anyone else pouring over the seed catalogs, staking out the yard or otherwise planning another year of homegrown? (...vegetables...) :lol:

DisneyDellsDude

We always like to do a little something. We're kind of working on our backyard (not now, but we do in the summer). Two years ago, we got a concrete patio, last year we got a shade to go over the patio.

I'd like to put in a circle garden somewhere. We slightly have the theme of Epcot going on, with brass tiki-torches and in two big pots, we had tropical type plants (one was purple elephant ears) and over the dirt we put dark red stones (about quarter sized ones) that are almost see through that you would put in a fish tank. It looked really good!

I think this year we may stain our concrete to look like a type of reddish looking sandstone rock. That would help because all we have right now is rust stains all over from our new patio furnature we had out there.:mad:

So, I'm sure we'll do something.:)

tigsmom

I have multiple flower gardens all over the yard and I am committed to planting a veggie garden again, haven't had one in 2 years. I try to do it all organically whenever possible. I live at the edge of the woods so we have plenty of deer (they nest/reproduce in the shrubs) and I need to work on my fencing/coverings. Tried container gardens on the porch, but they come right up and eat it anyway. :lol:

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
I'd like to put in a circle garden somewhere. We slightly have the theme of Epcot going on, with brass tiki-torches and in two big pots, we had tropical type plants (one was purple elephant ears) and over the dirt we put dark red stones (about quarter sized ones) that are almost see through that you would put in a fish tank. It looked really good!

That sounds nice - I wish my yard looked better. It is full of stuff, a-la redneck...:lol:...so unless EPCOT's theme turns into broken-down tractor parts and old tires, I won't be posting any pics! But I like the idea of doing something non-standard and arranging the plantings. I wonder if I could do the EPCOT logo in broccoli?

I have multiple flower gardens all over the yard and I am committed to planting a veggie garden again, haven't had one in 2 years. I try to do it all organically whenever possible. I live at the edge of the woods so we have plenty of deer (they nest/reproduce in the shrubs) and I need to work on my fencing/coverings. Tried container gardens on the porch, but they come right up and eat it anyway. :lol:

Organic gardening here in Florida is really hard because we are totally ate-up with insects. Amazingly, I haven't used any chemical pest-control. I do wide planted areas with "wild" pathways in between with the logic that the bugs will hang out in the rows that are left natural. I think it really works. As soon as you plow and keep weeded a large area the bugs only can use your crops as habitat.

But then, everyone that sees my garden asks why I don't cut the "grass" that's there. It ain't grass, it's habitat!

DisneyDellsDude

That sounds nice - I wish my yard looked better. It is full of stuff, a-la redneck...:lol:...so unless EPCOT's theme turns into broken-down tractor parts and old tires, I won't be posting any pics! But I like the idea of doing something non-standard and arranging the plantings. I wonder if I could do the EPCOT logo in broccoli?

I'll post pics in a few months if we do do something.:cool: Keep me posted on your broccoli logo. :)

BRER STITCH

I've got the same problem as TIGS MOM - too many deer!

For that reason, I switched to POND GARDENS a few years ago. Raising the koi and the water plants is a little more challenging, but well worth it.

Now instead of chasing deer away, I have to keep the blue herons from eating my fish! :lol:

Here's a couple pics from last summer....

2007_Garden_010.jpg

2007_Garden_006.jpg

2007_Garden_002.jpg

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster

For that reason, I switched to POND GARDENS a few years ago. Raising the koi and the water plants is a little more challenging, but well worth it.

Now instead of chasing deer away, I have to keep the blue herons from eating my fish! :lol:

2007_Garden_002.jpg

Those flowers are beautiful! I love your grumpy statue! :lol:

DisneyDellsDude

Really nice pictures. I've always wanted a small pond, but we might just get a nice water fountain instead.

BRER STITCH

Thanks for the compliments!

I thought I had lots more pics of the pond, but they all had people standing in front of it! :lol:

It's a lot of work, but fun, and very relaxing right off the back patio.

If you look closely, you can see that this is the Snow White and 7 Dwarfs garden area. All of them are present there in statue form!

The top of the pond is covered with water hyacinths and water lillies to protect and feed the koi.

My other, much larger pond/waterfall is on the other side of the yard in the back of the property.

I'll look for some more pics...

EPCOT.nut

Original Poster
If you look closely, you can see that this is the Snow White and 7 Dwarfs garden area. All of them are present there in statue form!

*gets inspired to do something more pleasing to the eye this year*

Here is the vegetable garden from last year. It's about 3/4 acre...couldn't get it all in the picture. Pic was taken early July - you can tell the plants are parched in the mid-day Florida sun! :eek:

Attachments

• 000_0220_640x480.JPG
    000_0220_640x480.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 9

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom