Any formal deal relating to Guardians of the Galaxy and WWE?

some guy

Original Poster
Over on some wrasslin nerd boards they're talking the looming championship reign of Batista, and somebody on my preferred one is hopping up and down about how it's part of some deal WWE made with Disney.
I'm assuming he's full of it, as
a: Dave Bautista, ex-wrestler was signed to Guardians of the Galaxy a while before he re-signed with WWE.
b: Why would Disney care if one of their movie's second bananas had a wrasslin title? I certainly hope they have better promotional plans in place than "Batista has the championship so see Guardians of the Galaxy".

If I'm jumping the gun and there is in fact something set up I'm all ears.

Bairstow

I really doubt it. It's possible that Disney might buy some air time on the show to run some Guardians of the Galaxy trailer ads, but I would bet that any arrangement concerning who gets the championship is between Drax and the wrestling company.
Wrestling isn't all that popular these days anyway and Gaurdians is on track to make Avengers-style money, with or without them. If they're wanting Drax to walk down the red carpet with the WWF championship belt on or whatever it would only benefit the wrestling company, not the other way around. They should be paying Disney for this kind of publicity.

Matt_Black

I think more Vince is hoping to cash in on the film, rather than vice versa. Which is a shame because as it stands right now, this might be the most boring WrestleMania main event EVER.

Matt_Black

Oh, heavens yes. Remember when John Cena used to rap and almost cuss but didn't, but then he'd hold up the mic to cue 20,000 fans (or however) to shout profanities? FUN.

StageFrenzy

draybook

No, not me. I will never pay for wrestling-only content. I currently watch all PPV's(not just wrestling) for free and there's no way that in this internet age that I will pay to see old stuff. I can easily find that stuff out there. Now if they can somehow wrangle up a package that includes channels like TBS, SyFy, ESPN and all of that stuff and become a service provider then I'd get with that.

some guy

Original Poster
That's a very interesting read, thank you, though the one line about "dead murderers" makes me think that WWE's policy of "Chris Benoit WHO? Never heard of him; here, have some Batista" will continue.
From what I've read Benoit's in all the old stuff. There's some stuff missing here and there (WCW production music themes, the occasional bit of nudity, New Jack matches, that ONS match with Mike Awesome where Styles said that thing), but however much Benoit no longer exists on normal TV he's still in the old footage on their network.

champdisney

From what I've read Benoit's in all the old stuff. There's some stuff missing here and there (WCW production music themes, the occasional bit of nudity, New Jack matches, that ONS match with Mike Awesome where Styles said that thing), but however much Benoit no longer exists on normal TV he's still in the old footage on their network.
Chris Benoit does appear in the old programs on the Network. I have the Network (yes, I will pay for wrestling only content) and I think it's rather genious to have it, of course that's if you're big into wrestling. For $9.99 a month you can watch every PPV instead of paying $60 on regular PPV. Within six months you would of watched six PPV programs, all equaling to $60 which is the cost for a single PPV!! (Sorry, I'm just not use of getting things handed to me freely, I work for a living... plus it's legal) This is basically WWE's take on Netflix. I dig it. Now onto the Marvel/WWE situation. I'm assuming that there is an agreement in place for WWE to promote Guardians of the Galaxy on all their media platforms and programming. Another interesting fact. WWE and NBCUniversal did not renew their television distribution partnership meaning Raw and SmackDown will need new channel homes soon. With WWE branded as strictly PG now, could this "possibly" mean a channel network owned by Disney may take in these WWE shows? If there is a partnership brewing between the two entertainment companies, could this be one of them? Of course, nothing has been said over the net, this is just my own thinking (I like to think big).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom