Any foods NOT at WDW that you wish were offered somewhere on premises???

NiarrNDisney

Busch Gardens Williamsburg had a Filipino booth during their Food & Wine Festival, which got mixed reviews. They had adobo, siopao, and mamon. The problem with Filipino food is that restaurants never seem to be as good as what comes out of your mom or your tita's kitchen.

Though I know of a local diner that serves a version of dinuguan that you could serve to unknowing westerners at a Disney Food & Wine and it would be a hit. They'd just have to refuse to name the ingredients and call it tangy chocolate pork or something like that. :D

I think with any cultural food if your momma is an amazing cook (or other family member) it's going to be hard to find a place that makes it better than her! Though I do have a local place here that makes some items pretty close.
Oh Dinuguan I myself was never a big fan of it growing up and since its made with pork I can no longer have it anyway. Luckily other dishes my mom makes can be made with other proteins and not change it too much that its off. (Mom also tried to get me to eat Kilawin when I was young and that was a big nope :grumpy:)

Last edited:

righttrack

As a former Philly kid...

Cheesesteaks are REALLY hard to replicate outside of the Philadelphia/NY area unless you can get the bread just right. This is the key ingredient, and most parts of country just don't have access to good hoagie rolls.

Bread is so hard to replicate. We really have the best in the Northeast US for these kinds of purposes. A lot of places, Disney included try to make European-style bread but the bread that was adapted in the Northeast US by immigrants of the early 20th century is unparalleled for sandwiches, cheestesteaks etc.

Heppenheimer

Bread is so hard to replicate. We really have the best in the Northeast US for these kinds of purposes. A lot of places, Disney included try to make European-style bread but the bread that was adapted in the Northeast US by immigrants of the early 20th century is unparalleled for sandwiches, cheestesteaks etc.
Oddly enough... I've lived all over the US and in parts of Europe, and I found it was easiest to replicate a good cheese steak outside of the northeast US in Germany, mainly because the bakers make a thick baguette that although not exactly the same, is a fairly good substitute for a hoagie roll. It hits that key dense, but neither too hard nor to soft sweet spot.

The rest of the bread in Germany is fantastic, BTW.

righttrack

Oddly enough... I've lived all over the US and in parts of Europe, and I found it was easiest to replicate a good cheese steak outside of the northeast US in Germany, mainly because the bakers make a thick baguette that although not exactly the same, is a fairly good substitute for a hoagie roll. It hits that key dense, but neither too hard nor to soft sweet spot.

The rest of the bread in Germany is fantastic, BTW.

It's basically that Italian-German connection in Philly. Really a combination of cultures there.

Theatre1sm

I frequently travel with a "meat and potatoes" group. However, they have always been willing to try something new as long as there was something "safe" on which to fall back on the menu. I think a great resolution to the dumbing down, especially in Epcot, is to present Authentic "whatever country/culture" and perhaps a smaller "Americanized" section of the menu. Additionally, I wish the menus helped explain that what Americans call "Chinese/Mexican/Italian" is a hodge-podge of several different areas of these with different spices, preparations and ingrediaents so the individual could maybe try the real food that led to the Americanized version.

Smiley/OCD

Frozen Custard. It should be expected from me because Wisconsin is well known for Frozen custard.

Frozen treat standpoint WDW has ice cream, Gelato, Soft Service ice cream, and the only thing missing is Frozen Custard. Frozen Custard is different than other Frozen desserts. Frozen Custard is made with Egg Yolks, and has less air than ice cream.

I know that stuff has been very well known in Wisconsin and some others states for many decades, but not in Florida. The catch is Florida does have some Frozen custard stands now.
And on the Jersey shore boardwalks...Kohr's, a family run small chain known for their frozen custard and their orangeade...YUM!!!

unmitigated disaster

No question about it. Outside of big cities, I couldn't agree more.. (LA/NYC/Chicago ect)

Let me guess... It's the flyover states that you're thinking of as being all tasteless sugary goop.

And for the record, Mexican cooking is not all the same. Sonoran cooking tends towards savory over spicy. Southern Mexico often used black beans, and yes, some places use black beans and rice.

Hockey89

Let me guess... It's the flyover states that you're thinking of as being all tasteless sugary goop.

And for the record, Mexican cooking is not all the same. Sonoran cooking tends towards savory over spicy. Southern Mexico often used black beans, and yes, some places use black beans and rice.

Yes there is regional cooking in Mexico. Seven different regions.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
unmitigated disaster said:

Yes there is regional cooking in Mexico. Seven different regions.

Incidentally, there is a new series on Netflix called "Taco Chronicles"....it talks all about the different tacos and regions in Mexico where they come from. :cool:😋😆

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom