Any driving Tips from MA?

SlideOperatorCP

Hey guys! We leave March 8th and we are driving from Boston, and planning on taking I-95 all the way down. We have never driven down so we were looking for any tips! We are thinking about trying to puch it all the way to Georgia, or even TRY to make it all the way. There are only two of us so it would just be us driving! Any info helps!

Thank you!
10 more days:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

tigsmom

HI! We have been driving down lately and all I can say is...AAGGGHH!! :lol: Its really not that bad. the traffic around DC & Virginia is the worst. I live about 45 miles north of NYC and we try to time it so we miss rush hour in DC. The first time we drove we tried to do it in one shot...spring break...everyone heading to the jersey Shore...forget it. Now we do it in 2 days. We usually stop in Fayetteville, NC get a good night sleep and finish the trip the next day (we have 2 kids). We started our trip at night once...nice to pull off to sleep when everyone else is starting their day.

Cracker Barrel is a good place to eat, they are very near the exit/entrance of 95 so they are quick & easy. Clean bathrooms.

I'm sure you will get alot of tips...drive safely & have a great time. :wave:

Upvote 0
I just got back from doing this drive. We drove to daytona for the 500 2 weeks back. I agree with Tigsmom that NC is a good place to stop. Its more then half way there and the hotels are really good prices. When my soon to be wife and I leave for our honeymoon on the 18th of march we are going to leave at 3:00am that way we wont hit DC for traffic.

Here is a Website that might help you out. Goodluck and have fun.

http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

Hi,

Being a former Bahstonian, I've made the trip by cah a few times and I can verify what Tigsmom said about the traffic @ DC on I-95, extremely bad. I've always found the this area to slow us down more than any other. I absolutely recommend doing the trip in two days for safety reasons since there's only two of you.

If you can make it down to at least to Richmond, VA on your first day you've made good process. It usually takes me about 10 hours to reach there. If you try to make it on one shot without a stay-over then expect about 20-24 hours (keep the fuzz buster on! Esp. in South Carolina)

If y'all need a rest in Atlanta, then you're only about 7-8 hours away.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by wdwhoneymooner
If you can make it down to at least to Richmond, VA on your first day you've made good process. It usually takes me about 10 hours to reach there. If you try to make it on one shot without a stay-over then expect about 20-24 hours (keep the fuzz buster on! Esp. in South Carolina)

Woodbridge, Va (not too far from Richmond) is a nice place to stop also. (I have family there). There is a very nice , clean Hampton Inn at exit 160 off of 95 & breakfast is free. (free is always good, right). We stay there alot.

:wave:

Upvote 0

lebernadin

Some of my points have already been echoed by everyone else....

1) Leave early in the morning, and i don't mean 6am, i mean 2-3am. Definately use a radar detector if you plan to cruise at a good clip. Leaving this early will put you in the NYC/NJ area by the early part of rush hour but if you follow point 2's advice, you'll avoid it. It will also put you at the DC Beltway around noon-2pm when you'll avoid all the DC rush hour. The Beltway is one of the top 10 bottlenecks in the country and you DON'T want to get stuck there, especially after 10-12 hours of driving already.

2) When you get to the end of CT, you have the option of taking the Cross-Bronx Expressway(staying on 95 essentially), or taking a right up and thru westchester county and over the Tappanzee bridge, down-Hudson from Westpoint. I'd suggest doing the Tappanzee. A handful of miles after you cross the tappanzee is the southern exit onto the garden state parkway. If you were to stay on 95, aesthetically you'd be depressed. White Plains itself isn't anything to look at(highway-wise) but the tappanzee and then the garden state parkway stretch are ALL GREEN and i've rarely encountered backups around this area, sans rush hour travelling which is horrid anywhere near NYC. The Garden State Parkway eventually merges with the NJ Turnpike via marked exits but you'll have cut out the worst chunk of it up near NYC.

3) As some have said, if you aren't used to distance driving and/or are showing signs of fatigue, then anywhere in VA is a good place to catch some sleep. I'd recommend doing searches on mapquest or some of the better chain's sites and write down info on a bunch instead of just one. I usually pick a state or two i figure we'll stay over in and write down a bunch at various exits because we never know exactly when we'll want to stop driving. If you book a hotel ahead of time you may find that you could/would have driven longer and made the 2nd day's driving that much less. Since its your first time i'd say, like the others, that VA is probably a safe place to focus on for that first night.

4) If you've never driven through the south then be prepared for "the wall," as an ex-gf used to call it. New England, and even the tri-state area are no comparison to the size of the southern states and how long it takes to get through them. So if you aren't used to it, your first time doing this drive is going to seem like you'll never reach south carolina, and then georgia, and finally florida.

5) "South of the Border" and other "attractions" are advertised constantly on billboards in the carolinas depending on whether you're headed north or south. Its one of those things you'll stop and see and i'll leave it at that...:lookaround:

6) Once you get through South Carolina you start to get excited because you're only in Georgia briefly and then you're headed towards Jacksonville. The Jacksonville interchanges are interesting to say the least. After that its all straight forward; 95S to I-4W.

7) One last thing is depending on what time you're hitting the Orlando area, you may want to take the Greenway(that's the name, orlando locals, right?) which is a tollroad that goes around downtown orlando and right to the WDW vicinity.

8) For your drive back, if you can make it back to mid-NC/S. VA you'll be in good shape. Just keep in mind starting out that 2nd day to avoid NYC traffic and take the Garden State->Tappanzee-> White Plains->95 again.

Lastly, a month or so before your trip, look up construction adviseries for the 95 route so that you can possibly flank it to keep on schedule.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by lebernadin

2) When you get to the end of CT, you have the option of taking the Cross-Bronx Expressway(staying on 95 essentially), or taking a right up and thru westchester county and over the Tappanzee bridge, down-Hudson from Westpoint. I'd suggest doing the Tappanzee. A handful of miles after you cross the tappanzee is the southern exit onto the garden state parkway. If you were to stay on 95, aesthetically you'd be depressed. White Plains itself isn't anything to look at(highway-wise) but the tappanzee and then the garden state parkway stretch are ALL GREEN and i've rarely encountered backups around this area, sans rush hour travelling which is horrid anywhere near NYC. The Garden State Parkway eventually merges with the NJ Turnpike via marked exits but you'll have cut out the worst chunk of it up near NYC.

Ok, I'm about 20 miles or so from the Tap. When you go over the Tappan Zee Bridge (you are on the NY State Thruway -I87) Do NOT get on the Garden State. Go to the Mahwah exit (not sure what #) and get on 287...its just past Suffern. This will avoid all the traffic & you can get on the NJ Turnpike down around Philly. I have taken the trip both ways & believe me you will save a ton of time by taking 287.(and you avoid a lot of tolls on the Garden State.).

Ps. South of the Border is a tourist trap we fall into. If you don't have the time don't worry about it, but after the almost 200 signs (yes, we've counted them) its hard to resist. And you can stretch your legs.

Trip planning sites are fun. We use Cracker Barrel because they list all the restaurants along the way (and thats where we like to eat). Maybe give it a try & see how you make out:

http://maps.where2getit.com/cracker3/along1.html

MapQuest is also very good. :wave:

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

Thankfully, once you hit the NC line, the rest stiops are about an hour apart and the speed limit is 70 for most of the way.

There's a huge work zone between jacksonville and daytona beach.

Other than that, watch for cops. Best advice i can give you is to remember to stop every hour or two to stretch your legs....

Upvote 0

marksniles

We're from RI and we take 95 to CT and then in CT we get off of it and head a little north to get onto 89 (or 89 I forget). We totally bipass 95 for much of the trip down and I think we pick it up again somewhere around SC. It is slightly longer to get there but you totally miss NYC and DC. It's so worth it. Plus it's a very pretty trip. E-mail if you want more detailed directions.

Mark
marksniles@earthlink.net

Upvote 0
Somthing I just remebered......When I go I leave from north of Boston in the Gloucester area I take 128 s to 90(mass pike) west to 84 south to 91 south then back on 95 south right at the end of CONN. It just seems to cut out some time. Then I stay on 95 all the way. On your return trip coming in to NJ dont not follow the signs for 95 north you want to stay to the right and take the NJTP. If you go on 95 north it will bring you in to Penn. and there really is no reasong to go there I did this last year when I got my boat in FL after driving for about 17 hours straight and it seemed to add a few more hours on to the trip.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Well if you take 84 you can come across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge & take 84 into Newburgh and then get on 87 south to 287 (and go practically past my house :lol: )

Upvote 0

lebernadin

Originally posted by tigsmom
Ok, I'm about 20 miles or so from the Tap. When you go over the Tappan Zee Bridge (you are on the NY State Thruway -I87) Do NOT get on the Garden State. Go to the Mahwah exit (not sure what #) and get on 287...its just past Suffern. This will avoid all the traffic & you can get on the NJ Turnpike down around Philly. I have taken the trip both ways & believe me you will save a ton of time by taking 287.(and you avoid a lot of tolls on the Garden State.).

287 doesn't go as far as Philly though. Where you connect with the NJ Turnpike is about 4 miles south of where the Garden State connects with the Turnpike, both in Middlesex(NJ) county. After 287 crosses 78 it heads back east, instead of south, near Bridgewater.

To put it into MA terms for the original poster, its similar to choosing between 128 and 495 to get from the south shore to the north shore or vice versa.

Upvote 0

EmeraldDolphin

This is the most important tip you'll read......

STOP on your way through CT & get me!!!!!! :lol:

seriously though... we've had our best luck when we've driven leaving at night... you won't run in to any rush hour traffic at all!
Drive safely... take breaks when needed... and don't speed!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by lebernadin
287 doesn't go as far as Philly though. Where you connect with the NJ Turnpike is about 4 miles south of where the Garden State connects with the Turnpike, both in Middlesex(NJ) county. After 287 crosses 78 it heads back east, instead of south, near Bridgewater.

To put it into MA terms for the original poster, its similar to choosing between 128 and 495 to get from the south shore to the north shore or vice versa.

Since I stink at maps I'll defer to you...I know that we missed the exit for 287 on the way home & ended up in Philly...it was the middle of the night. :snore:

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

If we drive from Rhode Island and leave around 6AM we usually try to make it to RockyMount which is 1/2 way. If we leave at say 4AM, we usually make it as far as Georgia by around 9:30PM. My husband has driven straight through a few times but when you get there you need time to recover and are missing out on quality park time!! I am usually fast asleep before we hit the CT border! (I hate driving!)

Have fun, just pace yourself so you don't get wiped out! Watch out for those driving trailers, they usually have no idea how to handle the thing!

Upvote 0

lebernadin

Originally posted by tigsmom
Since I stink at maps I'll defer to you...I know that we missed the exit for 287 on the way home & ended up in Philly...it was the middle of the night. :snore:

yeah, when you're heading north on 95 the signs can be deceiving and i can recall a roadtrip about 8 years ago when i switched driving with a friend and fell asleep, then woke up and he was heading south on 95 back out of Philly and was oblivious...:lol: The kid didn't get over onto the turnpike and then became confused by the 95 signs near Philly....

after you'd posted that i went to check streets/trips to make sure my memory was right and it looks like there's a state highway(206) that you could continue on down to Philly from 287, so maybe that's what you guys did to avoid the turnpike in southern nj. :)

Upvote 0

miles1

My best tip is: FLY

Analyze your costs of driving:

Tolls: $40.00
Gas: $150.00 (Conservative)
Overnight stays in route (2) $150.00
Meals/snacks en route 6 @$20: $120.00
Wear & Tear on car 15cents/mi $200.00

TOTAL: $660.00

I'm from Connecticut. I don't know what kind of cheap fares you can get from Logan, but right now you can get some good deals from Hartford and New York ($89 to $129). Even for the round trip, you might even have enough left over to rent a "tuna can" with wheels when you get there.

Of course, there's lots of other considerations. Flying saves you a lot of fatigue and agrivation, and if you're on a tight vacation schedule, you gain two extra days in Florida (assuming you intend to stop overnight en route).

If you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like being together for extended periods, then drive. There are also some interesting things to see along the way, if you've never done the drive before. (There are also some very, very long stretches with absolutely nothing except the Georgia Highway Patrol).

Be careful in Delaware, as there are about 36 speed traps in the one mile length of the state.

Have a safe trip and and good time.

Upvote 0

ArielLover

I live in Southern NH and have driven down multiple times. One thing I do not recommend is taking 95 the whole way. If you can get a Triptik map from AAA. I have stopped in VA, NC, SC, and GA on the first night. IF you would like to contact me directly I can give you more details on any aspect of the drive I might be able to help with

joep4040@comcast.net

Upvote 0

SlideOperatorCP

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help! :) My boyfriend is going to have to read this to make sense of it all for me because he will do most of the driving!

I am sure it won't be more expensive though, we couldn't find ANYTHING for under 300 when we made our plans, and this way we have a little more freedom to choose when we get there, plus it will be nice to have a car....

Thanks so much!! 9 days!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom