Any chance this Splash Mountain retheme is cancelled?

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m sure I’ll hear a lot of hell No’s but there is a lot at play here.

- The economic turmoil Disney find themselves in because of COVID 19

- Uncertainty in general of what the future holds for theme parks due to COVID 19

- The Negative Socio- Cultural impact from this decision.

So yeah weirder things have happened. I think they are ing off a lot of their fan base with this move. Also, it wouldn’t be the first time something was announced on a Blog and then canceled. Think 4th DLR Hotel. Lastly, the negative backlash worked with Mr. Toad. Granted, nobody finds Wind in the Willows racist... yet.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

There's no chance it's canceled. Splash Mountain is canceled.

The company is in the dumps, so the funding will likely be as low as they can go, especially with their new CEO. However, it's much easier to approve from a financial standpoint because it isn't a new addition, but rather an overlay similar to GOTG or Incredicoaster, which are the same rides with new names and decor slapped onto them.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Don't think it will-- Disney doesn't care what the majority of their guests want because they know no matter what crap they dish out you will still come

Not I. They crossed the line with me this time. Not saying I’ll never go again but as I’ve said in other posts I can confidently say they have 95% less of my time, money and attention. Meaning no more annual passes. This is less about me boycotting and more about me feeling disappointed and confused in their decisions and product lately. This last one kind of being a dealbreaker and opening my eyes to the fact that I give them too much of my time, money etc.

Curious Constance

I can see it getting pushed back a few years, but always with the caveat that it is coming. I mean, I'd never say never, because with everything happening lately, who knows what could happen to change things, but short of some kind of grand scale national disaster, I can't see them totally canceling it.

After all, they timed the announcement of the project so that if you so much as utter any disagreements with the project, you can be labeled all kinds of horrible things, even though less than a year ago, they were telling everyone how beloved and heart warming the attraction is and selling merch to celebrate it's 30th anniversary. A pretty ***tty thing to do to your core fan base, but that's modern day Disney for you! I guess the only other thing I can see changing things is if this really did have a massive economic impact, where they lose a lot of their core fans spending money coming to the parks, but since most people probably won't hear much about this other than a passing article here or there, and won't care one way or the other, I can't see that happening.

SuddenStorm

I'm just trying to figure out when they plan on doing this closure.

They company isn't making money right now- so I don't think it will be within the next 6 months. And they're not going to want it closed during summer, so maybe during this spring?

But then they're also going to want to market this bastardization- so I imagine they'll want to coordinate it after Avenger's Campus, but before MMRR?

My hope? Splash is as popular as ever when it reopens, and Disney lets this announement fade into obscurity and eventually abandons it. According to WDW pro, the concept art pulled is from a blue sky concept that was shelved a year ago and wasn't intended to actually be used so I really don't think this whole concept has been developed creatively.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'm gonna go with no.

patf.jpg

DLR92

Chances are Disney rather have more chance to channel in more sales with Princess and the Frog. Disappointing when Splash Mountain is loosely based on Song of the South in the first place.

Sharon&Susan

Not a chance Disney has opened Pandora's box by acknowledging the complaints about Splash Mountain, not going through with it would give Disney plenty of bad press and hurt their reputation among a certain set of their clientele.

At best I expect to see Splash Mountain open up until the end of December, but instead of closing for the seasonal refurb will close (depending on how elaborate) 6 months- 2 years.

Kate F

Not a chance Disney has opened Pandora's box by acknowledging the complaints about Splash Mountain, not going through with it would give Disney plenty of bad press and hurt their reputation among a certain set of their clientele.

At best I expect to see Splash Mountain open up until the end of December, but instead of closing for the seasonal refurb will close (depending on how elaborate) 6 months- 2 years.
Bad press huh? Didn’t seem to affect how they went about the sequel trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom