Any chance Peter Pan's Flight gets an upgrade?

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question...unless any insiders can add some insight about this..?

Anyway, my second-favorite ride (as observed via videos) in Shanghai is the new version of Peter Pan's Flight (first fave is Pirates, naturally). I think it's an amazing re-think of a classic. Now, we all know that PPF is a huge guest favorite in WDW and Disneyland - it's always crowded, and I don't think it's just because of queue capacity. People just love the concept. When people visit Disney parks, they want to experience DISNEY magic, and few attractions feature that more than PPF. Yet the attraction has pretty much been left in its original form for decades. Why hasn't Disney tried to plus it? Does anyone know why that hasn't happened yet?

Last edited:

DisneyDodo

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question...unless any insiders can add some insight about this..?

Anyway, my second-favorite ride (as observed via videos) in Shanghai is the new version of Peter Pan's Flight (first fave is Pirates, naturally). I think it's an amazing re-think of a classic. Now, we all know that PPF is a huge guest favorite in WDW and Disneyland, and I don't think it's just because of queue capacity. People just love the concept. When people visit Disney parks, they want to experience DISNEY magic, and few attractions feature that more than PPF. Yet the attraction has pretty much been left in its original form for decades. Why hasn't Disney tried to plus it? Does anyone know why that hasn't happened yet?
They haven’t made any changes to MK’s PPF probably because it still draws major crowds, meaning that 1- many people are satisfied with the ride in its current form and 2- closing it for refurbishments would result in a lot of added demand on other rides. This is not to say that it couldn’t benefit from upgrades, but just that it hasn’t been one of Disney’s top priorities to this point. However, I have seen PPF listed in a few places as one of the attractions likely to be enhanced in honor of WDW’s 50th anniversary. I haven’t seen any specifics as to what they will change, but I wouldn’t expect anything nearly as drastic as replacing the ride with SDL’s version.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't know if this is still in the plans, but WDW1974 stated in one of his threads back in March that Peter Pan could receive some love for the 50th. Things may have changed since however.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/50-magical-enhancements-for-the-50th.925352/

I've said this before, but IF WDW ever does update their Peter Pan, I expect it will be a clone of the updated Tokyo version. WDW and Tokyo's Pans were originally exact clones, and I believe this is still the case in terms of the track. But last year, Tokyo's was closed and given a drastic overhaul to the scenes. Completely changing the flight over Neverland to be more like the versions in CA and Paris, and plussing the remaining scenes with new lighting and effects.

Copying the changes done to Tokyo makes the most sense if they ever decide to redo WDW's. Assuming they even change it at all. I could not possibly imagine them replacing it with a clone of Shanghai.

jt04

This makes for depressing viewing. This can be done at WDW, just needs the time and money which I’m sure Disney is not willing to invest.

You do realize they are investing in WDW right now right? You can tell this by the cranes no matter which way you look.

And Uni ripping out attractions trying to keep pace.

Raineman

Having just watched the video of the Shanghai version, the biggest differences to me are better, more intricate AAs, and projections. The quality of the show sets themselves don't look that different, so it wouldn't seem to be a huge upgrade that is needed. The big question is, how would the majority of WDW guests feel about a change to a classic attraction like PPF?

Surfin' Tuna

I should probably wait until I have ridden Shanghi's version, but it feels as if there is almost too much going on in that short ride. Part of what makes PPF so great is it's overall simplicity. It's not nearly as pretty as the other's, but it's great just like it is. I'm sure most people would prefer the upgrade, but I think it would lose some of its charm. Do all of the parks really need to have exactly the same or even close to the same attractions?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I should probably wait until I have ridden Shanghi's version, but it feels as if there is almost too much going on in that short ride. Part of what makes PPF so great is it's overall simplicity. It's not nearly as pretty as the other's, but it's great just like it is. I'm sure most people would prefer the upgrade, but I think it would lose some of its charm. Do all of the parks really need to have exactly the same or even close to the same attractions?
I really love PPF. We rode it twice last month, losing a third FP to Irma.

That being said, when we took a newbie with us in 2015, I was embarrassed by the ride.
As fans, we view it through nostalgic eyes and enjoy the ride’s simplicity. Take away the nostalgia though, and it really is quite tatty.

If I had my druthers, they would new build in that waste of space Storybook Circus, and repurpose the existing ride to something smaller, allowing the narrow pathway to be widened.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honestly I'd be fine with fresh paint, better blacklights, more projections and larger vehicles to allow for more guests per hour. A minimum to do list. A Shanghai treatment, while nice, would be a waste of money IMO. I'd rather TDO put those funds toward other areas and just spruce up Pan.

Magenta Panther

Original Poster
Having just watched the video of the Shanghai version, the biggest differences to me are better, more intricate AAs, and projections. The quality of the show sets themselves don't look that different, so it wouldn't seem to be a huge upgrade that is needed. The big question is, how would the majority of WDW guests feel about a change to a classic attraction like PPF?

I think they'd be absolutely delighted because the Shanghai one is so superior to the original. That's not a knock on the original, BTW; it's very well laid-out and tells a great story. But it screams for an upgrade. It's the most dated-looking ride on property aside from Jungle Cruise.

BuddyThomas

I hear they are updating it and it is going to be exactly like this! ;)

Muppet Peter Pan.jpg

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't know if this is still in the plans, but WDW1974 stated in one of his threads back in March that Peter Pan could receive some love for the 50th. Things may have changed since however.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/50-magical-enhancements-for-the-50th.925352/

I've said this before, but IF WDW ever does update their Peter Pan, I expect it will be a clone of the updated Tokyo version. WDW and Tokyo's Pans were originally exact clones, and I believe this is still the case in terms of the track. But last year, Tokyo's was closed and given a drastic overhaul to the scenes. Completely changing the flight over Neverland to be more like the versions in CA and Paris, and plussing the remaining scenes with new lighting and effects.

Copying the changes done to Tokyo makes the most sense if they ever decide to redo WDW's. Assuming they even change it at all. I could not possibly imagine them replacing it with a clone of Shanghai.

I just hope we keep our London flyover because we have the best one, even today. Disneyland's looks so flat, especially after the "upgrade."

Anything else they wanna touch is fair game. Even if they just put fresh aluminum foil in the volcano.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom