Any Advice for First Time Solo Trip?

Ti_dbl_ger_er

It's been several years since my last trip to Disney World and I know a LOT has changed. I am also doing my first solo trip (for my birthday!) April 28 through May 3. Staying at the Contemporary. Trying really hard to work out my itinerary for dining and Fast Passes. Any advice for a first time solo (birthday) trip?

PineapplePrincess

If I were to do a solo trip, I wouldn't make any dining reservations (except maybe Kona Cafe for breakfast). I would go to the lounges/bars of the nicer restaurants and chat up the bartenders. I hope you have a fabulous trip and Happy early Birthday!

Upvote 0

JohnD

If I were to do a solo trip, I wouldn't make any dining reservations (except maybe Kona Cafe for breakfast). I would go to the lounges/bars of the nicer restaurants and chat up the bartenders. I hope you have a fabulous trip and Happy early Birthday!

My counter to that is make dining reservations now while you can get them. I'm going at approx the same time and got several hard to get choices. You can always cancel them 24 hours out without a $10 penalty. I concur on Kona Cafe for breakfast, BTW.

Other advice: Go at your own pace. Don't just park commando. Soak in the atmosphere of the parks. For example, get a beverage or two at Dawa Bar in AK, people watch, and listen to the African music. Explore the resorts and their gift shops. Some unique finds there. For example, only in the WL gift shop will you find a Mickey/Goofy/Donald/Humphrey totem pole. It was an impulse buy for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ti_dbl_ger_er

Original Poster
Thanks PineapplePrincess! I have been reading that a lot of solo travelers feel awkward doing sit-down dining or dinner shows. Solo dining doesn't bother me at all. Your idea is certainly something that I should work in though.

Upvote 0

Ti_dbl_ger_er

Original Poster
My counter to that is make dining reservations now while you can get them. I'm going at approx the same time and got several hard to get choices. You can always cancel them 24 hours out without a $10 penalty. I concur on Kona Cafe for breakfast, BTW.

Other advice: Go at your own pace. Don't just park commando. Soak in the atmosphere of the parks. For example, get a beverage or two at Dawa Bar in AK, people watch, and listen to the African music. Explore the resorts and their gift shops. Some unique finds there. For example, only in the WL gift shop will you find a Mickey/Goofy/Donald/Humphrey totem pole. It was an impulse buy for me.
Thanks for the tips John! I have a few places I definitely want to eat at and will be making those reservations. I am hoping I can tone down "commando" mode.. LOL! I am usually the one leading the charge when I go with others. Exploring the resorts is a great idea, perfect chance for a bit of a slow down. I am also hoping to focus on more of the details of the parks and resorts. Thinking a hidden Mickey hunt is something I should experience as well!

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I would go to the lounges/bars of the nicer restaurants and chat up the bartenders.

I definitely agree with this. One of my favorite parts of going to WDW is interacting with the cast members and leaving about their experiences. This is definitely a great thing to do as a solo traveler.

Slow things down and go at your own pace. No need to rush things. If you like photography, get some shots you wouldn't normally take when you are with others.

Maybe give yourself a challenge. Make a list of snacks you want to try and eat as many as you can ha.

Upvote 0

Ti_dbl_ger_er

Original Poster
2 days and 8 hours to go!!! Planning this first time solo trip has been quite an experience! I have redone my itinerary so many times to add in things that weren't available when I first started planning! Added a day at Port Orleans Riverside to arrive Saturday. Changed to Boardwalk Villas for a 1 bedroom villa. Added 2 after hours events, The AK Adventure Tour, Day of Thrills Tour, Star Wars Tour, Star Wars Dessert Party and MK Dessert Party. Eating at Edison, Liberty Tree, Tusker House, Sci Fi, Garden Grill and Le Cellier! This is going to be an AWESOME adventure!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom