Another Stroller Question:-)

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Hi all, I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I could really use the advise.. I will be traveling to the World in December, and just me and my son will be going. He will be almost 7 at the time of our trip. I was wondering if I should bring/rent a stroller for him? To me 7 is still young and I don't want to take the chance of him getting tired and not wanting to walk anymore! Would love to know your thoughts :)

KAZ415

I would just rent while you are there and you will probably be better off renting adouble stroller since he is older. It will give him more room. I know I still rent for my 6 year old she is good in the morning but by mid afternoon she starts to get tired and wants to sit.
Have a great trip

mousebymarriage

We went to Disney Jan 29th - Feb 5th and rented a stroller everyday for my DS6 (he will be 7 in June). He walked alot of the time but, when he was tired or we were rushing it was much better for him to be able to sit in the stroller, plus it was a great place to store the backpack. Just remember he probably takes 2 steps for every 1 of yours, so most of the time you are walking while he is speed walking or almost running to keep up. I saw many, many older children in rented strollers, it is VERY common in Disney.

SAV

Last year my daughter was 6 and the only time she wanted to be in the stroller was in Epcot when we went to the World Showcase. Other than that she just wanted to walk. I still like to have one with so we could stash the cooler and fan water bottle sprayer Mist thingy(that's the technical term for it) :lol:.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Thanks for your help everyone. I think I will be renting a double stroller for him. Better safe then sorry.

jennc2001

Last year my daughter was 6 and the only time she wanted to be in the stroller was in Epcot when we went to the World Showcase. Other than that she just wanted to walk. I still like to have one with so we could stash the cooler and fan water bottle sprayer Mist thingy(that's the technical term for it) :lol:.

LOL...that's what i call it too!!! i love being technical like that!! :)

NewfieFan

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the cost of renting a double stroller at WDW is $31/day now.

Yeah, I know - I was going to mention that as well. At $31 a day you almost want to make your child ride it all the time just to get your money's worth!:lol: I don't know what your other option would be with a larger child?:shrug: If you're planning on renting a stroller everyday while you are there it may be more economical to buy one even if you only use it for your trip. The only problem is there's not a lot of strollers out there for bigger children. There is a Combi that goes up to 55lbs - depending on the size of your child that may be a option for you. I'm actually buying that particular Combi myself for my 5 year old son - and I'm only purchasing it for the trip. I priced renting a single stroller for our stay and this stroller is actually cheaper than renting for 10 days!

If you think your child may still need a stroller it might be wise to shop around before hand and see if you can find anything that will meet your needs. I personally think $31 a day to rent one is rediculous!!!

Ziggie

Yeah, I know - I was going to mention that as well. At $31 a day you almost want to make your child ride it all the time just to get your money's worth!:lol: I don't know what your other option would be with a larger child?:shrug: If you're planning on renting a stroller everyday while you are there it may be more economical to buy one even if you only use it for your trip. The only problem is there's not a lot of strollers out there for bigger children. There is a Combi that goes up to 55lbs - depending on the size of your child that may be a option for you. I'm actually buying that particular Combi myself for my 5 year old son - and I'm only purchasing it for the trip. I priced renting a single stroller for our stay and this stroller is actually cheaper than renting for 10 days!

If you think your child may still need a stroller it might be wise to shop around before hand and see if you can find anything that will meet your needs. I personally think $31 a day to rent one is rediculous!!!

We'll be heading up with our grand-daughter who will be turning 1 year old in September (4 generations are actually all going together). But, seeing as how we drive to WDW (we live in south florida) we just bring our own stroller. However, we'll most likely be buying a stroller just for the trip because my daughter's everyday stroller is a Maclaren Techno XLR ($350) and I doubt it would be "waiting" for us outside once we return from a ride.

KC82271

I had taken my cousin with me when he was just turning 8. Didn't need the stroller most of the day, but the nights were rough. I ended up renting it for an hour or so at the end of a couple of days. However, at $31 for a double, I would have to pass. Not worth it. Single - maybe.

Mrs.PhD

I have taken a peg pergo aria twin (also an over $300 stroller) to WDW 6 times. Never had an issue with it being stolen. never worried myself over it for min. If you want a new stroller for the trip fine, but I really would not worry about it getting stolen. I might at DTD, but not the parks.

We'll be heading up with our grand-daughter who will be turning 1 year old in September (4 generations are actually all going together). But, seeing as how we drive to WDW (we live in south florida) we just bring our own stroller. However, we'll most likely be buying a stroller just for the trip because my daughter's everyday stroller is a Maclaren Techno XLR ($350) and I doubt it would be "waiting" for us outside once we return from a ride.

Ziggie

I have taken a peg pergo aria twin (also an over $300 stroller) to WDW 6 times. Never had an issue with it being stolen. never worried myself over it for min. If you want a new stroller for the trip fine, but I really would not worry about it getting stolen. I might at DTD, but not the parks.

With all due respect, I could not disagree more. I watched.. with my own eyes.. as strollers were stolen right in front of me while sitting outside the Mexico pavilion. I tried to stop the culprits but I was rewarded with a middle finger salute. At least I was able to describe the thieves to the family that was victimized.

3 strollers were apprehended while we sat there. 2 Disney strollers and 1 personal stroller.

NewfieFan

With all due respect, I could not disagree more. I watched.. with my own eyes.. as strollers were stolen right in front of me while sitting outside the Mexico pavilion. I tried to stop the culprits but I was rewarded with a middle finger salute. At least I was able to describe the thieves to the family that was victimized.

3 strollers were apprehended while we sat there. 2 Disney strollers and 1 personal stroller.

:eek:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Anyone else's ad at the bottom of the page for Target and their Disney Novelty Strollers for $24.95 themed to Piglet and Pooh?

elizs77

This is exactly why I buy a stroller at a consignment store or sale before I go. I end up with a pretty decent stroller w/o much of an investment. The one I have for this trip was $16 for a used Maclaren-type umbrella stroller. If it gets gone, oh well, it will definitely irritate me but they haven't taken my $250 Graco travel system.

Mrs.PhD

Sorry this happened, but in my experience stolen personal strollers at WDW is rare. If you feel you can't relax while you are in a ride and your stroller is outside by all means bring a cheaper one. My point is I have brought expensive strollers for a total of 12 trips now (6 of them were my double stroller, 6 a single) and I never had an issue. Along with many friends who have never had an issue.

For me I would rather have the most comfortable stroller for the trip, not the price.

Then again I don't think I would bring a bugaboo, but not just because of the price. I would never pay the price for one of those to start with. :zipit:

Taking rented strollers happens a lot more often, and I would only guess that is going to go up now that the price of them has increased so much. I wonder what Disney is going to do about that now? They used to just give you a new one and not do anything about finding people who took them. I wonder if they will crack down on it more now. :lookaroun

Ziggie

Sorry this happened, but in my experience stolen personal strollers at WDW is rare. If you feel you can't relax while you are in a ride and your stroller is outside by all means bring a cheaper one. My point is I have brought expensive strollers for a total of 12 trips now (6 of them were my double stroller, 6 a single) and I never had an issue. Along with many friends who have never had an issue.

For me I would rather have the most comfortable stroller for the trip, not the price.

Then again I don't think I would bring a bugaboo, but not just because of the price. I would never pay the price for one of those to start with. :zipit:

Taking rented strollers happens a lot more often, and I would only guess that is going to go up now that the price of them has increased so much. I wonder what Disney is going to do about that now? They used to just give you a new one and not do anything about finding people who took them. I wonder if they will crack down on it more now. :lookaroun

I'm more at ease with my Mercedes sitting in the MK parking lot than I would be with the Maclaren sitting outside a ride ;)

mommomtoJoseph

We have been planning our first trip since November and will be visiting the parks in May. :sohappy: Has anyone ever used locks on their strollers? We will be taking two Maclarans and have considered locking them together somehow.

NewfieFan

We have been planning our first trip since November and will be visiting the parks in May. :sohappy: Has anyone ever used locks on their strollers? We will be taking two Maclarans and have considered locking them together somehow.

There's a similar discussion going on in another thread (I'd post the link if I knew how). The CMs do not like when the strollers are locked or chained together either. This makes their job harder as they're moving around hundreds of strollers a day. Basically the only thing we're "allowed" to do is make our stroller stand out from the crowd so that it will be less likely to be stolen. The more personal you can make the stroller the better! Try tying something bright, colorful to your stroller (ex. tacky scarf). I also put a luggage tag on my stroller (mine are bright neon) with my info. I'm taking two Combi strollers with me next time and I'll be using the same tactics!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom