Another Marvel contract question

pdude81

Original Poster
I know. I did search recent posts to see if this has come up in light of Covid-19, but found nothing. Please delete or merge if this belongs elsewhere.

So:

Is it clear how long IoA would have to be closed before the properties are no longer "open"?

At such time as any THE MARVEL UNIVERSE is no longer open at a particular Universal Theme Park, all exclusivity and marketing rights acquired by MCA as a result of the opening of such THE MARVEL UNIVERSE at such Universal Theme Park, as set forth in Section IV below, shall terminate and this Agreement shall thereafter be construed as if the notice of intent to open THE MARVEL UNIVERSE had not been given by MCA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know. I did search recent posts to see if this has come up in light of Covid-19, but found nothing. Please delete or merge if this belongs elsewhere.

So:

Is it clear how long IoA would have to be closed before the properties are no longer "open"?
I dare say it could be interpreted as if the rest of the park is open. Otherwise it would be voided each night.

pdude81

Original Poster
So it's kind of like... security is still patrolling so we're "open".

I just thought perhaps an indefinite closure might read differently than a nightly closure. But I'm far from a lawyer, and the closest Holiday Inn Express is also closed indefinitely.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So:

Its the previous paragraph in that section that answers your question:

Once THE MARVEL UNIVERSE opens within the above time period, the term of this agreement shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall remain open (and operated consistent with the standards of the next paragraph below) at any Universal Theme Park (allowing for temporary closures for force majeure events or refurbishment/maintenance provided they are being diligently pursued), except for termination for material breach (with written notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure).

I bolded and underlined the section that provides the information you are looking for. The term force majeure event in this sense means "act of god" event, which COVID19 would certainly be considered an act of god.

So basically Uni would have to close the Marvel area in IoA with no intention of reopening it for it to be considered "closed" under the contract. Of course that doesn't take into account any other breakage of the contract stipulations regarding maintaining the area and such. But that is a different conversation.

pdude81

Original Poster
Its the previous paragraph in that section that answers your question:

I bolded and underlined the section that provides the information you are looking for. The term force majeure event in this sense means "act of god" event, which COVID19 would certainly be considered an act of god.

So basically Uni would have to close the Marvel area in IoA with no intention of reopening it for it to be considered "closed" under the contract. Of course that doesn't take into account any other breakage of the contract stipulations regarding maintaining the area and such. But that is a different conversation.

Thanks. I was only able to find bits and pieces of the contract online. This answers my question.

And it also lets me know why nobody else asked the same question.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom