Annual Pass Questions

arich35

Original Poster
Next year we are planning on going to Disney in April and my wife has talked about trying to run the half marathon in January of 2022. If we are making the two trips it would be best for us both to get annual passes but with the uncertainty of everything with Disney and in our lives we are worried about it.
Let's say we buy annual passes this year and do monthly payments but don't plan to activate it until April 2021, is this possible? Also if we decided before we got to Disney we didn't really need the annual passes can we cancel and downgrade to normal 6 or 7 day passes?
Last question; let's say we buy 6 day passes whenever they open up from Disney, can we decide later on to upgrade those to annual passes and just pay the difference?

BASS

If you are only going two times, it may not make sense to get the pass. It'll boil down to how many days you intend to stay each instance. That'll likely determine whether there is a saving to the annual pass purchase or not. However, do consider that you generally will obtain a hotel discount with the annual pass, as well as savings on merchandise and food. So, it's not as simple as determining the cost of say, two 3-day passes vs. cost of annual pass.

And yes, you can purchase today but activate the 1-year when you visit in April. And you can also upgrade later. That's doable too.

PolynesianPrincess

Next year we are planning on going to Disney in April and my wife has talked about trying to run the half marathon in January of 2022. If we are making the two trips it would be best for us both to get annual passes but with the uncertainty of everything with Disney and in our lives we are worried about it.
Let's say we buy annual passes this year and do monthly payments but don't plan to activate it until April 2021, is this possible? Also if we decided before we got to Disney we didn't really need the annual passes can we cancel and downgrade to normal 6 or 7 day passes?
Last question; let's say we buy 6 day passes whenever they open up from Disney, can we decide later on to upgrade those to annual passes and just pay the difference?

You can only do monthly payments if you are Florida residents. If you do not live in Florida, you have to pay the full amount when you purchase. Once you purchase an AP you cannot downgrade. You can upgrade though. In the past when we had an AP, it usually had to be 7-8 days to be worth it in the end.

arich35

Original Poster
If you are only going two times, it may not make sense to get the pass. It'll boil down to how many days you intend to stay each instance. That'll likely determine whether there is a saving to the annual pass purchase or not. However, do consider that you generally will obtain a hotel discount with the annual pass, as well as savings on merchandise and food. So, it's not as simple as determining the cost of say, two 3-day passes vs. cost of annual pass.

And yes, you can purchase today but activate the 1-year when you visit in April. And you can also upgrade later. That's doable too.

We plan on doing a full week in April and staying off resort so at least one of us getting it will be worth it to get free parking plus the photopass and discounts on merch and food. If we go back in January in 2022 we will probably do 4 or 5 days so it is close to being worth it for both of us.

Do you know if you can upgrade the base tickets to annual passes?

dmw

In the Parks
No
Yes, you pay the difference between the base ticket and the annual pass. But, the difference is calculated based on the current price of the annual pass, which does tend to go up each year.

RememberWhen

We plan on doing a full week in April and staying off resort so at least one of us getting it will be worth it to get free parking plus the photopass and discounts on merch and food. If we go back in January in 2022 we will probably do 4 or 5 days so it is close to being worth it for both of us.

You can upgrade tickets to an AP in person at Guest Services. I think that you need to still have a day left to upgrade, but I’m not 100% on that.
I have previously bought discounted tickets from someplace like UT and then upgraded them to APs to save a little, but that was before we were DVC.

edited for clarity

Last edited:

BASS

My gut says that given the number of days you'll be at Disney, it likely will make economic sense to get it. I would consider taking advantage of the discount and staying on-site, but I realize some of the off-site are larger and cheaper; but consider it nonetheless.

RememberWhen

Is that new - upgrade at the resort? When we upgraded last January we were told we had to do it at guest services either at a park or in Disney Springs.
I meant the “Walt Disney world resort” not the hotel. My bad. I was trying to say I don’t think you can do it from home.

arich35

Original Poster
Yes, you pay the difference between the base ticket and the annual pass. But, the difference is calculated based on the current price of the annual pass, which does tend to go up each year.
Okay that helps a little. I think I am planning on purchasing one for me no matter what so if at the time we decide to upgrade my wife we will.

You can upgrade tickets to an AP in person at the resort. I think that you need to still have a day left to upgrade, but I’m not 100% on that.
I have previously bought discounted tickets from someplace like UT and then upgraded them to APs to save a little, but that was before we were DVC.
Thank you!

My gut says that given the number of days you'll be at Disney, it likely will make economic sense to get it. I would consider taking advantage of the discount and staying on-site, but I realize some of the off-site are larger and cheaper; but consider it nonetheless.
I think I read 11 days was the magic number to make it worth it just for admission so with the added perks it will help.
We will at the very least have 3 adults and a two year old. We wanted to stay on resort but even with an AP discount Pop would probably be 1500 or so for a week. We found 3 bedroom condos or villas within 20 min of Disney for $800 for the week. That difference will make the AP even more affordable. The only downsize I see is fastpass day window.

NelleBelle

I believe it's also a benefit for registering for any runDisney events is you're an AP holder--I think you can do early registration before the general public, if that's important to your wife. I ran the 1/2 twice (well, second one was a Goofy attempt but I was running on a full out stress fracture against doctor's orders and only managed the 1/2--the full was an absolute no-go)--fun race!

pharmd

Question please. My new expiration date for my extended Annual Pass is August 14th. (Previously it was April 19th 2020 and I didn't renew; so guessing this is the extension plus some days when the parks closed in March). I talked to a Rep via Chat and they are still honoring the 90 Day Renewal Window POLICY with the new expiration date.

"Your renewal window will open up around your new expiration date, as per the usual process. It will be a 90-day renewal window, which is 60 days prior to expire and 30 days post-expire"

Not sure what I would do, but If I wait to for the last day (Sept 13th 2020) to make a decision, would my new Anniversary date be Sept 13th or will they keep it August 14th??

Had Platinum Plus, but thinking of just going for Silver or Weekdays to save some money and also to make the prudent decision since Platinum right now at least doesn't seem to be worth it. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom