News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You compare a 21 day ticket (to be used in consecutive days) to a ONE YEAR TICKET (with a few weeks blackout).

I'd assume no more than 1% of UK holiday goers went on 3 week holiday to Orlando.

I'm sorry, but even Floridians are aware they have got such a good deal going on - an UNBELIEVABLE DEAL.

However, for those who do not live in Florida, the park experience is ruined by their presence and 'abuse' of the annual pass.

No, dummy. My comment compared a 21 day ticket for UK guests to a 10 day ticket for guests in the continental US.

I hope in the future, you just stay home. We have enough stupid in FL as it is.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If your poor English means that you want me to compare a 21 day UK ticket to an AP, fine.

$516.05 UK ticket, 21 days.
$699 Gold AP for FL residents (minimal blockout dates).

You're still getting the better deal unless we've gone to the parks more than 21 times in a year.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
One ticket is for 21 days consecutive - that no one buys.

The other is for ONE YEAR.

And rather conveniently doesn't add the other weekday select annual passes - that are half the price.

I'd be curious as to why international tourists can't buy the same annual pass that Floridians do ?

Pro tip: You can if you move here. Bad news though, we're suddenly full.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The Crux is why Disney have a system in place - that drives away the main money makers Internation tourists by discounting crowd contributing local residents who spend little?

As a business, no one can explain to me why this discount is allowed.

They have this system in place because you're cheap. You're not the big spenders that you believe you are. We each put at least tens of thousands into the local economy every year, and you don't. You drop in every 5-10 years, act like you're a higher class than you really are, then you go home for another decade. You already know that, and your trolling is getting tiring and boring. Same comments over and over and over, like a broken record. Time for the ignore button. :joyfull:

skyphotographer

I think they should do away with ALL annual passes. While they're at it, do away with discounted tickets too. Level the playing field, make everyone pay the same price for admission. Why should I pay full price while a local gets admission for pennies on the dollar? I feel like I'm subsidizing them. The only thing I do agree with is the new seasonal pricing. It does help spread the crowds around.

John park hopper

The fact is Disney doesn't want to limit the crowds (crowds = revenue). Until the crowds impact the bottom line Disney will continue to build DVC hotels, extent perks to off site hotels, promote AP's and raise prices.

ImperfectPixie

The 21 day ticket is pointless. Very few residents from the UK will go on a consecutive 3 week holiday to Disney.

An international tourist brings :

1) economy to the airports
2) hotels
3) merchandise
4) dining on resort and parks
5) paying to park and car rentals
6) spend a fair chunk of $$$
7) higher charge for tickets and admission costs

A Floridian brings :

1) CROWDS and ruins the experience for international tourists and tourists from outside Florida in the mainland. They will eat at home, bring their own foods into the parks, and have no need to stay on resort.
Yet it's this group that is given a discount !
Floridians are given a discount at Disney the same way residents of ANY tourist area are given a discount - as a courtesy for having to deal with obnoxious tourists and the difficulty they add to day-to-day life for those who live there, like traffic and other headaches that come with tourism. Contrary to your beliefs, UK travelers are NOT the main source of the Disney parks income.

Also - I live in New England, so I pay for all the same things you do, yet I still pay more for a 10-day ticket than you do for a 21-day ticket, and I cannot purchase anything below the Platinum Pass. Get off your high horse - you have ZERO valid arguments and you aren't doing other UK visitors any favors by coming off as rude, arrogant, and selfish.

EDIT: Also, since we're being so picky here - I spend MORE than you do in the US economy every time I go to Walt Disney World because I'm spending at TWO airports each way, plus to park my truck, plus bus tickets to/from the airport.

Last edited:

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The fact is Disney doesn't want to limit the crowds (crowds = revenue). Until the crowds impact the bottom line Disney will continue to build DVC hotels, extent perks to off site hotels, promote AP's and raise prices.

They actually do want to manage the crowds, as they’re getting too many complaints that the parks are overcrowded.

The way they’ve chose to handle crowd management however is the biggest issue - they’ve chosen to price increases instead of building capacity and staffing at appropriate levels to handle the crowds.

LSLS

You compare a 21 day ticket (to be used in one go on consecutive days) to a ONE YEAR TICKET (with a few weeks blackout) ??

giphy.gif

I'd assume no more than 1% of UK holiday goers went on 3 week holiday to Orlando.

I'm sorry, but even Floridians are aware they have got such a good deal going on - an UNBELIEVABLE DEAL.

However, for those who do not live in Florida, the park experience is ruined by their presence and 'abuse' of the annual pass.

You've made the claim multiple times that Florida pass holders are the reason for crowds. I'll ask again, do you have evidence of this?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Crux is why Disney have a system in place - that drives away the main money makers Internation tourists by discounting crowd contributing local residents who spend little?

As a business, no one can explain to me why this discount is allowed.

Because your premise is wrong.

The UK are already a targeted demographic with their own special pricing.

Fl resident pricing serves purposes outside the traditional tourist. Same reason tables in wonderland existed. Just because you can't grasp it doesn't make it not exist.

You can get 7-21 days plus memory maker and plus options for less than what it costs domestic people for a comparable 3 or 4 day ticket... without the extra perks.

Stop whining like a prat because someone gets a better price than you... you already get some of the most leveraged pricing available.

CalebS

The Florida state government is also pro Disney. You think if Disney all of a sudden didn’t give in state people good deals that the state government would stay pro Disney? They might, but probably not.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Interesting article (opinion piece) I read about how Disney's pricing decisions today may come back to haunt them in a decade or two. Not arguing that Disney isn't well within it's right to raise prices. For what its worth. I still think that an AP is a value even at current prices. Basically the gist:

The frequency, amounts, and new fees are beginning to alienate loyal Disney fans.

A lot of us (me included) have built a loyalty to the brand that spans several decades. We have memories of visiting as children and spending quality family time. Disney became a place that was ingrained in us and in turn, when we got older and had families of our own, we wanted to share those memories and create new ones - and looked forward to taking our kids to Disney. They - would follow that cycle when they had their own families.

The feeling that Disney is "pricing people out" (whether a valid point or not), may lead to countless families looking for alternatives (be it other theme parks like Universal or other types of vacations altogether). Everything is generational. These kids not having the exposure nor brand loyalty will not become the type of Disney guest that many of us are. Sure, they may take their families once or twice but they'll have plenty of alternatives. In 15-20 years there will be plenty of "new families" that will have a Disney, meh, mentality.

John park hopper

They actually do want to manage the crowds, as they’re getting too many complaints that the parks are overcrowded.

The way they’ve chose to handle crowd management however is the biggest issue - they’ve chosen to price increases instead of building capacity and staffing at appropriate levels to handle the crowds.
Which has done nothing to lower crowds except make Disney's wallet fatter

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think they should do away with ALL annual passes. While they're at it, do away with discounted tickets too. Level the playing field, make everyone pay the same price for admission. Why should I pay full price while a local gets admission for pennies on the dollar? I feel like I'm subsidizing them. The only thing I do agree with is the new seasonal pricing. It does help spread the crowds around.
Because they’re trying to get 75,000,000 gate clicks in there annually and there’s no other way to do it?

Or is the “obvious approach” not gonna take hold today?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They absolutely don’t want to lower crowds

New Rides = cost money + employees = cost more money = avoided whenever possible
Which has done nothing to lower crowds except make Disney's wallet fatter
They absolutely want to charge everyone more

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Florida state government is also pro Disney. You think if Disney all of a sudden didn’t give in state people good deals that the state government would stay pro Disney? They might, but probably not.

The Florida state government used to be very pro Disney...because their revenue system is archaic and obsolete. Now they seem to pay them more lip service than anything firm

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The Florida state government used to be very pro Disney...because their revenue system is archaic and obsolete. Now they seem to pay them more lip service than anything firm

As long as Disney guests help keep our taxes low, we welcome their continued existence in our state. :joyfull:

That's right @AndrewMacUk, your spending at WDW also subsidizes our taxes. I hope that absolutely ruins your day. :hilarious:

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting article (opinion piece) I read about how Disney's pricing decisions today may come back to haunt them in a decade or two. Not arguing that Disney isn't well within it's right to raise prices. For what its worth. I still think that an AP is a value even at current prices. Basically the gist:

The frequency, amounts, and new fees are beginning to alienate loyal Disney fans.

A lot of us (me included) have built a loyalty to the brand that spans several decades. We have memories of visiting as children and spending quality family time. Disney became a place that was ingrained in us and in turn, when we got older and had families of our own, we wanted to share those memories and create new ones - and looked forward to taking our kids to Disney. They - would follow that cycle when they had their own families.

The feeling that Disney is "pricing people out" (whether a valid point or not), may lead to countless families looking for alternatives (be it other theme parks like Universal or other types of vacations altogether). Everything is generational. These kids not having the exposure nor brand loyalty will not become the type of Disney guest that many of us are. Sure, they may take their families once or twice but they'll have plenty of alternatives. In 15-20 years there will be plenty of "new families" that will have a Disney, meh, mentality.
I seem to remember some guy over on the magical forest weboard warning this during the housing crash 10 years ago...cautioning what raising base prices on everything under the shield of the DDP and “free dining” coupons would come home to roost as they then doubled down on non-discounted prices during “boom”. Longterm erosion leading to critical mass pricing policies.

I wish that guy was around 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom