News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

FigmentFreak

When we see them take six months off from aggressively marketing, I'll believe that they're actually doing something to control crowding.

Heck, think of all the money they'd save in that marketing budget!

They ran a commercial for Toy Story Land during the Super Bowl last year. They simply don't care anymore. It's just an easy way to justify price increases to the public.

Disney has to power to control overcrowding in parks without hiking prices. Lower the max capacity allowed into the parks (like they're doing with Star Wars Land at DL). When they do that I'll believe they're actually wanting to control overcrowding. Until then, it's all lip service with no real meaning.

yensid67

I agree. A family member asked me to help her plan their trip, but when I showed her what we used to pay (not that long ago) and what it costs now, she changed her plans. I'm past being angry. Just over it. We bought new kitchen appliances instead. :)
Yep! I was to go in September but my vacation friend backed out. Then I looked at the prices going up and just got PO'ED! Buying a car instead! WIN for me!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is this TWDC as a whole or P&R broken out?
Is that Corporate Disney, or just P&R?

While Corporate Disney does give separate numbers for P&R from the rest of the corporation, those P&R numbers at one time didn't include foreign parks, but now they do. And then they started to include the cruise lines (which is probably why capex made a huge spike recently with the new ships being built), and now, their Adventures by Disney.

It certainly excludes their media empire.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I believe he is just speaking to the reality of financial markets. We (and Disney) were in just such a scenario a little over a decade ago. Before that, there was the smaller but still impactful dot.com bubble... The financial good times have historically never been permanent. (just like the bad times haven't been, either)

To think that something has magically changed in this regard is what deserves the "lol".

A lot people seem to convince themselves that there will never be another recession....as in EVER.

That is completely wrong - of course - but the scary thing is why do you think they believe this?

They’re lazy. They don’t want to MENTALLY deal with the idea of down times anymore. That’s what gonna “Steward” the world.

Some days I think maybe the asteroid should hit and get it over with?? ☄️

Kman101

This is because they blocked out all CM maingate passes and were only opening them a few days before the date - after schedules had come out.

It was funny to see the shock DisTwitter had at low crowds but no one wanted to address that so many were blocked out. I saw a lot shrug it off but to me it really made an impact. That and I think fear kept some away.

Kman101

This was just an increase for annual passholders right? Disney WANTS LESS locals to crowd the parks. What better way then to raise the AP price! I would love to see the numbers on many hit the breaking point with this one.

While it's true DVCers and non locals do buy APs, I think most are local ( driving distance) and thats who they are trying to cut off here.

Will it make WDW feel less crowded. I think not. It's already way too crowded to begin with.

I disagree, somewhat. They clearly *want* MORE locals. Why else would they offer so many Florida Resident only annual passes? Weekday Select screams to the Florida residents: BUY ME

And nope unfortunately it's not going to get any less crowded :/

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
How much per hour do think is appropriate for parks that have rationed reservation systems with strict limits?

$15? $20? $30?

Just curious...

I won't pretend to know what the number is, my only measurement is that the parks are still too crowded to enjoy so the price is not high enough to level it out or taper it off.

MrPromey

Yeah, you're absolutely wrong. Look at markets over time. It's just data. You are totally wrong. Now if you try to time the market and buy junk, you'll get the results you'd expect when you don't know what you're doing.

You don't "lose money" if you don't sell. Who lost 90% of the value in their retirement? Where do you get that number? The markets weren't down 90% and came roaring back with a vengeance. I can't manage your portfolio but if you're exposed to markets at retirement age and have no other means of supporting yourself, that is a personal money management issue and has no relevance to the dominance of financial markets.

No one is immune, but I posted the numbers. Disney still performed well and has since had almost 10 years of record after record at the parks. 2 years of bad doesn't counteract 8 years of recrods.

That's what you people that miss out on stock market gains always miss.

Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves.” – Peter Lynch

The corrections happen, give you a buying opportunity and then they are over with people missing out because they sold at the bottom and/or are too scared to buy stocks. That's how you underperform.

Disney stayed the course during that time and they are reaping the benefits today.

You know what a good time is?

An ice cream sundae.

You know what the end of that good time is?

An empty bowl.

Now, you can try all you want to tell me that the fact that a year from now, I'll have another sundae, and that it might even be a little bigger means that my good time isn't over but until I have another sundae, or an equally rewarding experience, I beg to differ.

You know what else is a good time?

A weekend - that two day break that (sometimes) allows me to relax and not think about the other five days of work I have to do.

Monday morning. (or Sunday night, depending on how you want to look at it)

You can try to argue all you want that the fact I have another weekend only five days away, means that the good time never ended.

My alarm clock tells me different.

Running a resort property where you seem to be able to raise prices without it negatively impacting revenue.

Laying off staff, mothballing hotel rooms, and making changes to long-term plans as a result of short term changes to the economy.

That's what happened last time with WDW.

None of us are talking about the financial ruin of Disney when we talk about bad times. We are talking about how they continue to work at pricing out segments of the economy and how they will respond when there is a financial downturn and they (possibly) find themselves having to try to woo back an audience at a price point that they have built their business on not wanting to attract and what happens when they have to reconcile these guests with the Club 33 members.

Back when pricing was (more) reasonable during the last down-turn, they went through this. That's when they decided that locals mattered to them again and among other things, began offering the monthly payment plan for FL residents on annual passes which changed the dynamic of people who could regularly frequent the parks.

Now look at the discussion we are having.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
While Corporate Disney does give separate numbers for P&R from the rest of the corporation, those P&R numbers at one time didn't include foreign parks, but now they do. And then they started to include the cruise lines (which is probably why capex made a huge spike recently with the new ships being built), and now, their Adventures by Disney.

It certainly excludes their media empire.

Not trying to be obtuse, but it's only P&R then?

It would be interesting to note their opex as part of the breakdown. Having traveled multiple times during the bad years, the cuts were quite noticeable.

Chef Mickey

You know what a good time is?

An ice cream sundae.

An empty bowl.

Now, you can try all you want to tell me that the fact that a year from now, I'll have another sundae, and that it might even be a little bigger means that my good time isn't over but until I have another sundae, or an equally rewarding experience, I beg to differ.

A weekend - that two day break that (sometimes) allows me to relax and not think about the other five days of work I have to do.

Monday morning. (or Sunday night, depending on how you want to look at it)

You can try to argue all you want that the fact I have another weekend only five days away, means that the good time never ended.

My alarm clock tells me different.

Running a resort property where you seem to be able to raise prices without it negatively impacting revenue.

Laying off staff, mothballing hotel rooms, stopping construction on new hotel rooms indefently and making changes to long-term plans as a result of short term changes to the economy.

That's what happened last time with WDW.

None of us are talking about the financial ruin of Disney when we talk about bad times. We are talking about how they continue to work at pricing out segments of the economy and how they will respond when there is a financial downturn and they (possibly) find themselves having to try to woo back an audience at a price point that they have built their business on not wanting to attract and what happens when they have to reconcile these guests with the Club 33 members.

Back when pricing was (more) reasonable during the last down-turn, they went through this. That's when they decided that locals mattered to them again and among other things, began offering the monthly payment plan for FL residents on annual passes which changed the dynamic of people who could regularly frequent the parks.

Now look at the discussion we are having.
That's called running a business. We have bad times and good, but the good overwhelms the bad. You talk layoffs, I talk Disney employing tens of thousands of people.

Sorry you haven't been able to participate in the enormous wealth creation of America. I'd advise changing your mentality from victim to shark. There is limitless opportunity.

MrPromey

For Disney Broadway shows, the pricing for a seat is constantly in flux. As a particular section of a particular show starts selling out, the price for sitting in that section rises. As a particular show in total is starting to sell out, the remaining tickets jump in price. They're worth more because of lack of supply but continuing demand.

The time will come, I predict, when the prices for day-tickets will float in the same way. If the first week of October, for example, starts to have a very large amount of sales (due to several conventions, e.g.) then the price of tickets for that week will start to rise. Wouldn't be surprised if resort room costs also started to float. (Of course, the opposite would happen that in very low attendance weeks, the costs go down... which is sort of what Disney does anyway with pop-up discount offers.)

Makes sense but from a guest perspective, I see one notable difference.

Restroom lines during intermission (and the like) aside, there isn't necessarily a downside to experiencing a show in a "packed" house. In fact, it could be argued that the atmosphere that results can enhance things over a theater with mostly empty seats.

It's the exact opposite with a theme park. The most expensive days tend to also be the most miserable. As a result you end up paying the most premium prices on days that they are offering the least premium experiences.

Chef Mickey

All the DIE HARD Fans will defend ANY price increase! Until it starts to hurt them personally they will always defend! I was the same way, I have made quotes for others with no reservations. After this, even though it doesn't effect me directly, I will not quote anyone a price because I don't feel its worth the planning and the FINANCIAL SACRAFICES that the average guest endures to spend a few magical days at Disney. I will still quote them if they are know that the prices are rising almost every month and money is no object for them!
I am sad, because Disney, even though expensive for the average guest, is pushing out the guest who have to save for years and years for one week of Magic. Some people are on FIXED INCOME's and only dream about a Disney vacation, but their dreams are crushed when they go and start pricing the trip and see that the tickets alone will cost a small fortune! I understand they are adding more adding more attractions and experiences, but soon the only people that will be going to Theme Parks(not just Disney) are those in the small percentage of the RICH!
How many actually pay their vacation with CASH and not CREDIT CARDS!? Just wondering how many use their Credit Cards to pay for the trip and souvenirs and then worry about how to pay it off when they get back home!?
P.S. A PRICE INCREASE IS COMEING BEFOERE AUGUST 31ST...MARK MY WORDS!
Why is anyone entitled to a vacation at Disney?

Should Disney charge even less while their parks are jam packed with guests willing to pay more? I mean, I don't know what you want them to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom