News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When will enough be enough!? Ticket prices are an annual thing...sometimes 2 times a year! When will it be too much to even "think" about going to a Disney park!?

For Disney Broadway shows, the pricing for a seat is constantly in flux. As a particular section of a particular show starts selling out, the price for sitting in that section rises. As a particular show in total is starting to sell out, the remaining tickets jump in price. They're worth more because of lack of supply but continuing demand.

The time will come, I predict, when the prices for day-tickets will float in the same way. If the first week of October, for example, starts to have a very large amount of sales (due to several conventions, e.g.) then the price of tickets for that week will start to rise. Wouldn't be surprised if resort room costs also started to float. (Of course, the opposite would happen that in very low attendance weeks, the costs go down... which is sort of what Disney does anyway with pop-up discount offers.)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
For Disney Broadway shows, the pricing for a seat is constantly in flux. As a particular section of a particular show starts selling out, the price for sitting in that section rises. As a particular show in total is starting to sell out, the remaining tickets jump in price. They're worth more because of lack of supply but continuing demand.

The time will come, I predict, when the prices for day-tickets will float in the same way. If the first week of October, for example, starts to have a very large amount of sales (due to several conventions, e.g.) then the price of tickets for that week will start to rise. Wouldn't be surprised if resort room costs also started to float. (Of course, the opposite would happen that in very low attendance weeks, the costs go down... which is sort of what Disney does anyway with pop-up discount offers.)

That's exactly what it seems they've been posturing for over the last few years. They were practically holding the 'coming soon' sign when they announced surge pricing.

Dunston

With all the new stuff they're opening in the next few years/months, I'm not surprised. I don't think it's warranted, but I'm not surprised. Still, the Platinum Plus Plan for two people is the same price as a whole trip for two people flying in from out of Florida. Still a good value if you live in Central Florida and can visit frequently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You really have a fetish about how other people spend money, don't you?

To some people, a thing is expensive. To others, its worth it. You can make that decision for yourself - and your family, I guess - but no one else.
And you really have a closet fetish about defending every move of your stock overlords...even as they have actively driven your favorite franchise to this fiery depths of downright “boring”...

Wait...back up. I don’t feel like we have a common bond for good discussion.

What’s your bio profile again? Public college or private? Remember Reagan or not? Make more than $10.85 an hour or a “cast member”?

Let’s build a bridge back to the 20th century together, shall we?

BoarderPhreak

What? We raised the prices on everything for your enjoyment. 🤷‍♂️

DuckTales-Scrooge-McDuck-Money-Bin-Featured-Image.jpg

jt04

They could just make GE a permanent upcharge event and they'd never go broke.

A boutique Star Wars park near Batuu (but an entirely different planet) reached by a Hogwarts express type simulator through space would be a cash cow and could be an upcharge. It could also connect to the new SW hotel.

matt9112

APs are a unique problem with SW:GE in particular because they're the ones most likely to camp out in the Cantina with their laptops open sipping on a single drink for eight hours straight.

#TaxTheAPs

were going to raise an army to defend our way of life from your tyrannical ideas.

BoarderPhreak

I think there's definitely merit to killing off lesser tiers of APs. I mean, if the justification of the price increase is to curtail crowding... What's good for the goose is good for the gander. For example, the "Epcot After 4" pass. It's great that Disney wants to appeal to locals, but locals just coming to the parks to hang out and drink because they have nothing better to do isn't helping (the rest of us).

Bostb71

I think dynamic pricing is a great idea; unfortunately it won't do much to even out crowds, just give Disney surge pricing. I actually thought that was the direction they were headed when they first announced the date-based ticketing structure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And you really have a closet fetish about defending every move of your stock overlords...even as they have actively driven your favorite franchise to this fiery depths of downright “boring”...

Wait...back up. I don’t feel like we have a common bond for good discussion.

What’s your bio profile again? Public college or private? Remember Reagan or not? Make more than $10.85 an hour or a “cast member”?

Let’s build a bridge back to the 20th century together, shall we?

Chyah, know what? Please fill out this bio, wouldya? I need ammunition for my ad hominem attacks.

Calmdownnow

While it's true DVCers and non locals do buy APs,

For DVC members, the Gold AP looks like an incredible deal -- particularly if you are getting the renewal rate ($594 plus tax). As long as you can live with blackout dates, you can get a longish trip every year for two years simply by adjusting your arrival date so the second trip takes place a week or ten days before the pass expires. At $300 per trip, say for 7 days each trip, that is a major discount on normal park hoppers.

Edit: just to add that it looks as if DVC'ers get a $220 discount if they want to buy a Platinum Pass or a Platinum + Pass and $187 discount if they are renewing those passes. I don't know if these are bigger discounts than in the past, but it may be that Disney is at least trying to cushion DVC members from the impact of the large increases in AP prices.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For DVC members, the Gold AP looks like an incredible deal -- particularly if you are getting the renewal rate ($594 plus tax). As long as you can live with blackout dates, you can get a longish trip every year for two years simply by adjusting your arrival date so the second trip takes place a week or ten days before the pass expires. At $300 per trip, say for 7 days each trip, that is a major discount on normal park hoppers.

But that is not an “incredible deal”...it just looks cheap now in comparison.

$550 a year with blackouts seem like its serving the senior market - not subject to family life patterns.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think there's definitely merit to killing off lesser tiers of APs. I mean, if the justification of the price increase is to curtail crowding... What's good for the goose is good for the gander. For example, the "Epcot After 4" pass. It's great that Disney wants to appeal to locals, but locals just coming to the parks to hang out and drink because they have nothing better to do isn't helping (the rest of us).

Psssst....they’re not trying to limit crowds 🤫🤫

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You could be right...

Which will be great for the Stockholmers...errr...I mean...”guests”

Cause we love searching for variable flight prices already...that doesn’t aggravate anyone at all.

Can’t wait to do that for a fast pass to Everest 🤪

matt9112

I would like to see the removal of all passes below Platinum.

platinum was the hardest hit....there not trying to kill off silver etc...if they didn't want locals they would have hit silver and select passes hard. since out of state APs only have the platinum options it appears this is the demographic they want to squeeze.
my two cents is most people in this category have enough money to easily overcome the new price where if you tried the same cash value increase at silver you would literally kill pass holders off. if they did not want me to drive an hour to visit these lower passes would nonot exsist but they do. if i had to buy platinum or nothing i would never go except maybe to an after hours event here and there. they must see some value in locals.

Kingoglow

We were discussing crowd reduction at the time, which is why I suggested killing off non-Platinum APs. Just as you confirmed, it would kill off the incentive of locals of showing up just to hang around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom