News Annual Pass price increases June 2019

ToTBellHop

its removing the poorer and lower middle class aps. And lower crowds is a goal for them, because they are starting to hear the complaints.
So they say. They are lying. They don't want lower crowds. They want people spread out. As is said too often, "it's a business." No business wants fewer people. They want people better dispersed throughout the year so they can keep a steady workforce. And those who are in the parks need to be spending more money. Every move in recent years has been to get more money from wealthy guests who believe they are getting a premium experience.

Honestly, only DCL provides a true premium experience for premium price any more...

lostpro9het

Man am I ever glad we didn't buy into DVC a few years ago.
Except that I can sell my DVC points right now for $20+/point more than what I paid for them a few years ago so I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase.

Honestly, only DCL provides a true premium experience for premium price any more...
That's where we are directing our WDW dollars now with no regrets.

Chef Mickey

I agree, Disney does want their parks full. That's why if they're slower than expected, they lift block out dates for APs, launch a "Bring a Friend promotion", offer all kinds of deals, meal discounts, you name it.

They want the regular day busy or those cupcake parties and After Hour events lose their appeal. At the same time, they want those base prices to go up. In no way do they want people to drop their passes entirely.
It’s not as much as they want that as it HAS to be that way. There are tremendous fixed costs to just opening the gates, so Disney has to get butts in those parks or they literally lose money.

Notes from Neverland

Ah yes, the doom and gloomer with the Nostradamus call of failure. Not specific on a time, exactly what will happen, when it will happen, why it will happen, or ANY substance, but sure it will be “catastrophic.”

May I just say, LOL!
I'm not sure what you believe I said anything about doom and gloom, or anything about catastrophes. However, I will firmly admit that I think the economy will eventually slow (it always does) and Disney has almost backed themselves into a corner by using price increases as their main solution to handle crowds.

ToTBellHop

Except that I can sell my DVC points right now for $20+/point more than what I paid for them a few years ago so I'm feeling pretty good about that purchase.

That's where we are directing our WDW dollars now with no regrets.
WDW used to be significantly cheaper than DCL. That is less the case by the year. If I weren't a DVC member, I don't know how often I'd go, which makes me sad. I LOVE the rides, but the headache of FP+ and the ever increasing costs of everything make it a little less fun each year. I'll never stop going altogether, but I'm sure I will one day adjust to going perhaps once every other year for a couple weeks and buy an AP every other year instead of yearly with multiple trips per year. I'll probably even splurge for upcharges to "buy" a better experience. But my overall spending in WDW will fall because it'll be far fewer trips. There are too many other things I like to do that also provide a premium experience (and are admittedly expensive) without the tremendous headache of pre-planning, dealing with a terrible website, and encountering high crowds. As a Premium AP holder, I should be excited at the prospect of a preview of SWGE. Instead I'm stressed that the website won't work and I'll be left out.

Inversely, I paid a fortune for a cruise on the Dream last month but it wasn't overly crowded and the service was impeccable. At least I know what I paid for. We did a couple days in the parks after the cruise and it was the polar opposite.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Honestly, who is surprised by these new AP prices? You knew an AP price hike was coming before SW:GE opened. If you didn't, shame on you. It's blatantly clear that they believe in one pricing philosophy - Charge it and they will pay.

I may have to update my ticket spreadsheet with a new calculation - Chapek-era price increases.

Chef Mickey

I'm not sure what you believe I said anything about doom and gloom, or anything about catastrophes. However, I will firmly admit that I think the economy will eventually slow (it always does) and Disney has almost backed themselves into a corner by using price increases as their main solution to handle crowds.
I mean, you said catastrophic. Disney can lower prices instantly.

We also had the worst recession since the 30s in 2008, 2009 and Disney Parks did just fine...nothing close to “catastrophic.”

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Its going to be tough when the crash comes (that's not doom and gloom, just history) but they will manage through that by offering 4 day 4 park deals along with more enticing room discounts, halting food price increases and laying off a ton of CM's and Corporate.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No

CJR

It’s not as much as they want that as it HAS to be that way. There are tremendous fixed costs to just opening the gates, so Disney has to get butts in those parks or they literally lose money.

Both are true. However, what I'm saying is a lot of the up-sells make money just because the parks are busy during normal hours. If it's slow, people are less inclined to buy those upgrades because they're unnecessary at that point.

lostpro9het

WDW used to be significantly cheaper than DCL.
Inversely, I paid a fortune for a cruise on the Dream last month but it wasn't overly crowded and the service was impeccable. At least I know what I paid for. We did a couple days in the parks after the cruise and it was the polar opposite.
And this is partly how I phrase my responses to folks when they ask me about DCL. I ask them if they remember the level of service and experience of WDW in the 80's/90's because IMO I get that and them some from a DCL trip. We now rent our DVC points to fund our DCL habits. We let our APs expire in May with the full intention of hitting the seas for w while.

CaptainAmerica

Demand does not directly relate to value.

Since the last increase in Oct 2018? They could have at least waited until the big projects are actually operational when those investments will actually be adding value. This increase was premature at best.
This presupposes that the previous price-to-utility ratio was at equilibrium. If the purchaser already had surplus utility built into their AP purchase, then the relative value at Time 0 versus Time 1 is irrelevant.

In other words, the APs may have been under-priced to begin with, making this a market correction rather than a reflection of new offerings.

cosmicgirl

I think I was talking about regular tickets. But I didn't see a 15-25% AP increase as likely.
I didn't mean any harm, my apologies for not wording it better. When I read your response to someone asking about AP increases it confirmed what's been whispered before: they're struggling to attract Summer guests. For that reason alone, like yourself, I would not have expected yet another increase between now and RotR opening. Certainly not one of this magnitude. :eek:

Kman101

I'm relieved that I renewed my Platinum pass in February. $800 at that time felt like a lot of money. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford that renewal next year, which feels like the saddest thought in the world, but one I've been coming to terms with since Disney park prices across the board increase. It doesn't feel like a place I can afford, despite it being my favorite place in the world.

I'll have to make this final AP count and give it a proper send off.

I'm reaching that point too. I'd rather spend the money and visit other Disney parks at this point. I probably won't renew next year, and if I do, I'm downgrading. I'll just have a lower tier pass again, the blackout dates don't really affect me (I'd rather not be there when they're blocked out anyway) or I may just stick with After Hours if it's still offered. I'm kinda tired of how they pull stuff like they just did, announce previews, but wait, gold no longer gets included, and now, because they know many will upgrade, wasted no time raising the passes by well over a hundred dollars .... I mean they couldn't be more blatant if they tried. I know many others have reached this point on here already ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom