Annual Pass Help

I’m going to get a WDW Annual Pass for the first time. I wanted to know when I should activate it relative to my trip. Should I do it 60 days in advance so I can book fast passes, or when I arrive at the park. Also if I was going to try to register for the potential AP Previews of Toy Story Land would my AP need to be activated by that registration date?

Rob562

Though be aware that you won't get your AP MagicBand until *after* your first trip. When you activate the AP at the park, the order to customize the Band shows up in MDE. You customize it and then they ship it to your home address (assuming you're in the U.S.). There is no way to pick-up your free AP Band on-site.

-Rob

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The AP magicband is no different than the resort bands. They send you an AP slider for it...which means nothing to a CM for the discounts - you will still have to show your AP card.

Upvote 0

WC Scott

You will activate it at first use. If you activate it earlier you will loose that time as your year starts from the day you activate it.

Your voucher number should allow you get fastpasses as well as register for AP previews.

Reply:
So ordering the AP early for our upcoming trip will not affect the expiration date, only the activation will start the timer!! I will order now, use the voucher number to get my FastPasses through MDE, and then get the AP activated when I get to the park on Day 1. I already have MagicBands, so those should charge up with the voucher number I assume.

Disney here we come!!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Reply:
So ordering the AP early for our upcoming trip will not affect the expiration date, only the activation will start the timer!! I will order now, use the voucher number to get my FastPasses through MDE, and then get the AP activated when I get to the park on Day 1. I already have MagicBands, so those should charge up with the voucher number I assume.

Disney here we come!!

Don't forget to stop at Will Call or Guest Services to receive yiur passholder card - you will need to receive the AP discounts.

Upvote 0

SunshineTreeTerace55

Original Poster
Though be aware that you won't get your AP MagicBand until *after* your first trip. When you activate the AP at the park, the order to customize the Band shows up in MDE. You customize it and then they ship it to your home address (assuming you're in the U.S.). There is no way to pick-up your free AP Band on-site.

-Rob
So for my first trip will I not have a magic band?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Will I be able to make AP reservations for my first trip?

Yes.

Edit to add: And to head off a possible additional set of questions (since I've seen where this line of questions sometimes goes in the past...)

MagicBands are not tied to a specific ticket or just to one resort reservation, and nothing is actually "stored" or "loaded onto" the Band itself. The only thing encoded onto a Band (or RFID card) is a serial number. Once linked to your MDE account, that serial number simply "points" to your MDE profile in the database. Everything else (hotel reservation, tickets, FastPass reservations, room charging) is stored on your profile in the secure MDE database.

You can also have any number of Bands linked to your profile (though for technical limitations of some systems they typically suggest having no more than 8 or so Bands per person active at any one time). All active Bands can be used interchangeably. (I have about 6 Bands right now all in different colors, some with decals on them. Each day I just grab whichever Band matches what I'm wearing that day, or perhaps a design that does with which park I'm going to)

When you tap your Band/card to a reader, the reader uses the serial number to find "you" in the database and access the relevant info (can the room door be unlocked? Is there a valid ticket for admission to this park? It's 2:18pm, does this person have a FP+ reservation for Space Mountain? Which account should I link this PhotoPass photo to?)

-Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdeev8690

Just went through this rigamarole! Super easy process. I bought my AP in February, used my discount on a room, went to Guest Relations at DHS before park opening and the cast member activated it quickly for me. I just gave him my confirmation paperwork that was emailed to me as well as my ID and the card used to purchase the pass.

Then I gingerly strolled through the AP line to get into the park. It was awesome, especially for Spring Break crowds. Get in the habit of asking if shops and restaurants accept the AP discount, even if you don't think they do. It's always worth it for 10%-20% off!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom