Annual dues

Dal

Original Poster
Hi, my husband and I are currently separated and we own a dvc timeshare which has been totally paid for. He paid for the annual dues for 2019 and was the one who used up all our points including the ones we had banked. Last November, I was able to make reservations for a 4 day stay by borrowing points for 2020. However, he cancelled my reservation the same day I notified him that I made reservations for me and our kids. Ever since then, I didn’t try to make any reservations. Now he is asking me to pay for half of the annual dues for 2020, but when I looked at our account, I could see that we only have 43 points left for 2020 and he has made reservations for himself and the kids for 7 days on February worth 90 points. I don’t think it is fair that I should pay half of the annual dues when he was the one using up our points and when I tried to use dvc, he cancelled my reservations. He is the primary member but the timeshare is on both of our names. If I don’t pay half of the annual dues, will he be held responsible since he is the primary member or will both of us be held responsible? I don’t know what to do. Any advice will be appreciated. (I can’t talk sense to him, so talking to him is not an option).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Unfortunately, both are responsible, but since he is using the points, he should pay the dues. If he doesn’t, DVC won’t let anyone make any reservations until they are paid. It is obvious that he isn’t going to work with you on a splitting of the use of the points, so you should try to get your name removed from the deed. I’m not sure if you can do that on your own, or if he has to agree to it. You’ll need a real estate lawyer to answer those questions. Calling DVC may or may not get you the correct information, as the wonderful CMs don’t always have all the answers. Good luck!

Dal

Original Poster
Unfortunately, both are responsible, but since he is using the points, he should pay the dues. If he doesn’t, DVC won’t let anyone make any reservations until they are paid. It is obvious that he isn’t going to work with you on a splitting of the use of the points, so you should try to get your name removed from the deed. I’m not sure if you can do that on your own, or if he has to agree to it. You’ll need a real estate lawyer to answer those questions. Calling DVC may or may not get you the correct information, as the wonderful CMs don’t always have all the answers. Good luck!
Thanks for your response. I’m not exactly sure how calling dvc will help either.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for your response. I’m not exactly sure how calling dvc will help either.
If you simply want to be removed from being responsible for the dues, it appears that you can request removal without his permission. According to the DVC website:

If you wish to add a person your deed or delete a person from it, this may require a title transfer.
To add or delete a person from your deed, send Member Administration a written request. An email cannot be accepted for this request. However, you can fax your written request to Member Administration at (407) 938-4121 or mail it to:
Disney Vacation Club Member Administration
1390 Celebration Blvd
Celebration, FL 34747
In your letter or cover sheet please include:
  • Your Membership ID or Contract Number
  • What you are requesting
  • The legal document that corresponds to your request:
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Court Order (must be signed by a judge)
    • Divorce Decree
Contact Disney Vacation Club Member Administration with any questions about title transfers at wdw.dvc.member.administration@disney.com.
You cannot change any deed information online.

FCivish3

If you simply want to be removed from being responsible for the dues, it appears that you can request removal without his permission. According to the DVC website:

If you wish to add a person your deed or delete a person from it, this may require a title transfer.
To add or delete a person from your deed, send Member Administration a written request. An email cannot be accepted for this request. However, you can fax your written request to Member Administration at (407) 938-4121 or mail it to:
Disney Vacation Club Member Administration
1390 Celebration Blvd
Celebration, FL 34747
In your letter or cover sheet please include:
  • Your Membership ID or Contract Number
  • What you are requesting
  • The legal document that corresponds to your request:
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Court Order (must be signed by a judge)
    • Divorce Decree
Contact Disney Vacation Club Member Administration with any questions about title transfers at wdw.dvc.member.administration@disney.com.
You cannot change any deed information online.
Yes, but by doing this, doesn't she also give up her rights to the DVC Deed and Points and Use?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes, but by doing this, doesn't she also give up her rights to the DVC Deed and Points and Use?
Yes, but with her husband as the primary, and not seemingly willing to allow her to use half the points, she would be better off taking her name off the deed, so she doesn’t worry about dues or hassles with what appears to be a butt head husband.

The only other option is to have it spelled out in a divorce decree that she gets to use half the points, and she doesn’t make it sound like he might be willing to agree to that stipulation.

Dal

Original Poster
I’m thinking the best thing is to sell it. I don’t want to take my name off because then I would lose ownership. We aren’t divorced yet but will be in May. I was told that if we sell we can potentially sell it for 23k.

eliza61nyc

I’m thinking the best thing is to sell it. I don’t want to take my name off because then I would lose ownership. We aren’t divorced yet but will be in May. I was told that if we sell we can potentially sell it for 23k.

So this maybe just my experience with dealing with an ex, I'd sell and be done with it. so your ex has already pulled a few stunts causing drama by using all the points and cancelling your vacation. Why even try and deal with that.

as my grandmother would say "good riddance to bad rubbish". sell, split the proceeds and book a vacation that you are in full control of.

FCivish3

Yes. I think selling it is the optimal solution. I think if you start the ball rolling, he might just need to follow along.

I am very sorry to hear about your problems. Relationships with the important people in our lives is one of the most difficult things we have to do in life, especially when we have loved those people. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Club Cooloholic

He sounds like a total jerk. That said this should have been an asset handled during the divorce, since it remains a "shared" asset you can threaten to take him to court if he does not give you equal rights, especially since he wants you to pay for half. Tell him you want it in writing that from here on out you guys divide the asset fairly, perhaps you each, take turns by year, or keep it on a three yr schedule you each get on full year on the book ends with the middle year split evening points wise so you can borrow off it.

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you are in the process, you need to ket your attorney know what is up. I would think it would be customary that during a divorce, either side would not be able to take actions that would financially hurt the other.

jaklgreen

You need to have everything settled with a divorce instead of just being separated. All of this will be taken care of during the divorce. Get a good lawyer. And I would, without any hesitation, tell him to go pound sand about paying half of the dues. Tell him that you will do that when you get use of half of the points. And shame on him. Get a divorce and get that nasty baggage off of you.

Dal

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I did tell my H I’m not paying when he was the one using the points and cancelling my reservations. After a week of two of a kind of a chicken game, he paid this year’s dues stating I will have to pay him back when we sell the timeshare later. We shall see.

Club Cooloholic

Thank you all for your input. I did tell my H I’m not paying when he was the one using the points and cancelling my reservations. After a week of two of a kind of a chicken game, he paid this year’s dues stating I will have to pay him back when we sell the timeshare later. We shall see.
Just keep track of all these exchanges, save the emails, make copies of reservations off the DVC site showing you aren't on them. Not a judge in the land would require you owe him anything for something that he denied you use of.

macefamily

Sorry to hear about your situation. I feel for you because your soon to be ex sounds like a real tool. You'll have to figure out that situation legally. You'll either need to mediate the DVC expenses between the both of you or liquidate the points and settle the account.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom