Annoying and unnecessary Christmas music at WDW. Your thoughts, please!

Pseybert

Original Poster
Is anyone else annoyed at how sloppily Christmas music is thrown at you in the parks? I love Christmas as much as anyone, but there are some places where it just is a little too over bearing.

There are at least four locations in which I have a problem with it. The first two are Hollywood Boulevard, and Main Street U.S.A. Yes. Christmas is coming. I understand that. I see the decorations. But, as I'm walking into the parks, I want to hear the correctly themed music.

The locations that I have the biggest problems with the music are Future World, and Fantasmic. There is absolutely NO NEED for holiday music in Future World, when the World Showcase is (rightfully so) the holiday headquarters of the park. There are no Christmas themed attractions or shows in Future World, and so I don't need to be listening to holiday music.

The worst location is Fantasmic. There's something about original the pre-show music that sets the mood. I love the mix of Disney music that they usually play, it gets you psyched to see the show. But, not anymore. Instead, you're treated to the same vanilla, generic music that you've just been hearing on your whole vacation. Fantasmic is NOT a holiday show, so why am I listening to holiday music for an hour before it starts?!

Maybe I'm being too picky and critical, but am I the only one questioning why I'm hearing the same music that I just heard in Downtown Disney Marketplace, that I am in Disney - MGM Studios' flagship nighttime show?

Happy Holidays everyone. :xmas:

kcnole

I've never had this thought at Disney, but I definitely had that thought last Christmas when I went to Islands of Adventure. You walk into this beautifully themed adventures locale and you hear Christmas music. It just doesn't work there and is really jarring.

Pseybert

Original Poster
christmas is like halloween .. when it's time I love the music :)

As do I, but there's a place for it! And that place is not EVERYWHERE. It's so lazy to just throw Holiday music anywhere they can find a speaker.

My friend just visited me, and it was his first trip to Walt Disney World. He didn't hear the dramatic overtone of the Soarin' music playing, nor did he get to see the fountain dance to The Rocketeer theme. Disney puts a huge emphasis on music setting the mood for location, and as far as my friend was concerned, the center of Future World might as well have been a shopping mall back in New Jersey, blasting Jingle Bells from the speakers.

Eyekimore

I love it!:xmas:

I teach music in NJ at a school where Christmas/holiday music is a no-no. I spend all of December at work ignoring all the wonderful holiday music there is to share. Nothing thrills me more than hearing Christmas music everywhere I go at Disney. It is then I feel like my holiday has truly begun! I say bring it on- anywhere and everywhere.

Not to be rude- but you could always visit at a different time of year. :rolleyes:

I'm also tired of saying the PC "Happy Holidays".

Merry Christmas!:xmas:
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

happymom52003

I teach music in NJ at a school where Christmas/holiday music is a no-no. I spend all of December at work ignoring all the wonderful holiday music there is to share. Nothing thrills me more than hearing Christmas music everywhere I go at Disney. It is then I feel like my holiday has truly begun! I say bring it on- anywhere and everywhere.

Not to be rude- but you could always visit at a different time of year. :rolleyes:

Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

:sohappy: :sohappy::sohappy:

Marge10369

Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

I agree!!!!!!!!!!:xmas::xmas::xmas:

shoppingnut

I like my christmas music and it makes me feel good when I hear it in my favorite place in the world. I'm sorry, but hearing it in the Menlo Park mall is very different than at WDW where you are strolling along enjoying yourself and not trying to beat people down to get that last gift.

I've also decided that I'm now going to become the politically incorrect person every christmas, no more Happy Holidays for me, it's Merry Christmas all the way and if you don't like it too bad. I will only buy cards and other things that have Merry Christmas on them.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!:xmas::xmas:

SirNim

Christmas music, done right (that is, arrangements that fit the theme of each "land" in the parks) can enhance most areas of the four parks. Future World is the exception. Unless they want to break out a synthesized background music loop of Christmas songs, the orchestral/choral/traditional Christmas music does not enhance Future World—it ruins it... And it's because it's a matter of scale. Christmas music is cozy and quaint...and Future World is humongous and expansive and anything but cozy and quaint. That's why it doesn't work, and that's about the only exception I can think of. Plaster the MK with Christmas music, fine. World Showcase? Fine. DHS, wonderful. Animal Kingdom? Maybe not Anandapur/Serka Zong but Harambe, fine, and Discovery Island and Dinoland and all the rest, fine. Future World? No bueno.

bfbulldog

Is anyone else annoyed at how sloppily Christmas music is thrown at you in the parks? I love Christmas as much as anyone, but there are some places where it just is a little too over bearing.

There are at least four locations in which I have a problem with it. The first two are Hollywood Boulevard, and Main Street U.S.A. Yes. Christmas is coming. I understand that. I see the decorations. But, as I'm walking into the parks, I want to hear the correctly themed music.

The locations that I have the biggest problems with the music are Future World, and Fantasmic. There is absolutely NO NEED for holiday music in Future World, when the World Showcase is (rightfully so) the holiday headquarters of the park. There are no Christmas themed attractions or shows in Future World, and so I don't need to be listening to holiday music.

The worst location is Fantasmic. There's something about original the pre-show music that sets the mood. I love the mix of Disney music that they usually play, it gets you psyched to see the show. But, not anymore. Instead, you're treated to the same vanilla, generic music that you've just been hearing on your whole vacation. Fantasmic is NOT a holiday show, so why am I listening to holiday music for an hour before it starts?!

Maybe I'm being too picky and critical, but am I the only one questioning why I'm hearing the same music that I just heard in Downtown Disney Marketplace, that I am in Disney - MGM Studios' flagship nighttime show?

I could not disagree with pretty much everything you stated here. I find it totally refreshing that despite most coporations aversion to calling Christmas what it is, Disney fully embraces Christmas for what it is, one of the biggest holiday's for not only a vast majority of Americans but a vast majority of retail corporations including Disney.

I find the music to be totally appropriate in setting the mood in each park and it blends in perfectly with the decorated surroundings. They play the same show and theme music every day 335 days of the year and Christmas music for 30. Perhaps one of the 335 days they do not celebrate Christmas would be a more appropriate time to visit for those who take issue with Disney's presentation of Christmas.

SpongeScott

Scrooge!

Heh, to each his own. I enjoy the Christmas music.

luvGoofy

Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Happy New Year!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

SonicRuin

Last week I was away from work. I was at Disney with my wife and two kids. I was at Disney at Christmas time and there was Christmas music playing. I live in the Chicago area, so I NEVER associated Christmas with 80+ degree temperatures and palm trees. But again, there is was, Christmas music playing. Normally I am not a Christmas music fan at all.

But for 8 days it became a part of the 8 incredible days, and it sounded GREAT.

PigletIsMyCat

The OP had a problem with Christmas music being played in four specific areas: Hollywood Blvd, Main Street, Future World, and Fantasmic!.

While both are heavily themed, both Hollywood Blvd. and Main Street are large throroughfares, basically entrances to the park. Everyone walks down these streets, and both are modeled after specific areas: A main street in a small town of Ameica, and a main street in the movie capital of the world. It is believable that both of these places that exist in the real world would be playing Christmas music in their streets or stores. I think it fits perfectly, especially as both streets are specifically decorated for the holidays.

I can understand the holiday music kind of disrupting the feeling of Future World, especially with all the holiday-ness happening in World Showcase. Does it bother me? No cause I absolutely love Christmas music and am one of the people who listen to nothing but the radio stations that play Christmas music 24-7 from the day after Thanksgiving. BUT I can see how it doesn't really 'fit' with Future World.

And, as for Fantasmic!, I too feel that the pre-show music is amazing, and a big part of the show. While I have not seen Fantasmic! with the new holiday pre-show music, I could see that being upsetting to some. But the show is amazing enough as it is, and I don't think that hearing Christmas music beforehand would detract from the overall feel of the show.

Personally, I love holiday music. I don't celebrate Christmas in the traditional sense, but love hearing it and singing along all month long. I think it's a wonderful addition to the parks to integrate holiday music during the season.

Wilt Dasney

If Fantasmic is still playing the same Christmas stuff they were when I worked there in '02 (basically holiday-themed elevator music) I'd like to see that changed...but to more upbeat Christmas music with Disney characters or something more fitting to the show, not just back to the normal pre-show music. I like Christmas music, but the stuff they piped in there for my shifts nearly put me to sleep. :lol:

And I've never minded the Christmas music in Future World. I find it kind of comforting that a place as different in aesthetics as FW still celebrates Christmas. Sorta adds to the "universal" feel of the holiday. I do think they could still stick with the theme, with some more synthesized or techno-feeling holiday tunes for that area. :shrug:

I think it works fine on Main Street and Hollywood Blvd., for reasons someone else already said (entrance thoroughfares, welcoming atmosphere, etc.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom