News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Rich Brownn

Eh, they're different things.

It's like when people said they didn't understand why anyone complained about unrealistic travel in the later seasons of Game of Thrones because the show had dragons. There's still a level of internal consistency necessary to help you suspend disbelief -- GoT set expectations in the early seasons that travel time mattered and then suddenly in the later seasons people are just essentially teleporting all over the place; it was noticeable and jarring in the context of the show. There's obviously unrealistic things in Indiana Jones, but just because there's some supernatural elements and some farfetched survivals doesn't mean doing literally anything is fine and doesn't matter.
Literally doing anything is basically the idea behind IJ. People didn't understand that the first 3 films were gentle parodies of 1930s movie serials. The last one was a gentle parody of 1950s B-scifi movies.

UNCgolf

Literally doing anything is basically the idea behind IJ. People didn't understand that the first 3 films were gentle parodies of 1930s movie serials. The last one was a gentle parody of 1950s B-scifi movies.

I think most people know they're based on 30s pulp adventures.

It's not literally doing anything, though. No one would have liked Raiders of the Lost Ark if it also had a whole scene about a fireball throwing wizard fighting a minotaur on a spaceship because it wouldn't have fit the context of the film.

That's also why nobody really liked the 4th movie -- people didn't want a 50s sci-fi film for Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Exactly I thought the 50s sci fi idea was great and crystal skull is after Raiders my favourite Indy movie. I think its just a shame more people didn’t get the idea and wanted another Indy v nazis romp

UNCgolf

Exactly I thought the 50s sci fi idea was great and crystal skull is after Raiders my favourite Indy movie. I think its just a shame more people didn’t get the idea and wanted another Indy v nazis romp

I don't think it was about people not getting the idea or specifically wanting Indy vs. Nazis (which wasn't really doable with Harrison Ford's age anyways), it was that the movie just wasn't very good. It had serious issues from the script on down and was full of bad ideas.

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

I don't think it was about people not getting the idea or specifically wanting Indy vs. Nazis (which wasn't really doable with Harrison Ford's age anyways), it was that the movie just wasn't good. It had serious issues from the script on down and was full of bad ideas.
And, it seems, Nazis are the only bad guys allowed no-a-days. Others may not play well in other markets. I agree though; the Crystal Skull just wasn't that good. And, I LOVE the IJ franchise!

Rich Brownn

Because the 4th film took place in the 1950s, both Spielberg and Lucas felt that a 1930s serial aspect wouldn't work. Also Spielberg was quite emphatic that he wouldn't do a film with Nazi's anymore after his holocaust films.

rle4lunch

I don’t know why people are blaming Lucas for anything. Lucas didn’t come up with, like, nuking the fridge. That was Spielberg’s idea. I’ve read the original story conference for Raiders. Almost everything that made Indiana Jones great came from Lucas.
I was specifically thinking of the Star Wars prequels more than anything. The first 25 minutes of Crystal Skull was vintage Indiana Jones, then it all fell to poop.

Lucas took SW and turned into a live action cartoon with fart jokes and green screen bafoonery. I tried my damndest to find something redeeming in ep 1-3 and I've come up short every time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will anyone who was "in the know" confirm what the attraction would have been?
The initial post was 5 years ago in this thread and the attraction was officially announced three years ago.
Insiders say that it went thru various changes. Something carousel-ish was in the running (but nothing like Baxter's plan, just a lot simpler).

In the end, what was put on indefinite hold was a type of Enchanted Tales with Mary thing.

castlecake2.0

Insiders say that it went thru various changes. Something carousel-ish was in the running (but nothing like Baxter's plan, just a lot simpler).

In the end, what was put on indefinite hold was a type of Enchanted Tales with Mary thing.
When I first heard of the carousel I was totally against it, but the more I think about it the more I think it would have been the perfect little diversion back there along with some kinetic energy. It would have had to been much smaller than the MK carousel to not throw off scale. Would much prefer that than an enchanted tales type thing.

ImperfectPixie

When I first heard of the carousel I was totally against it, but the more I think about it the more I think it would have been the perfect little diversion back there along with some kinetic energy. It would have had to been much smaller than the MK carousel to not throw off scale. Would much prefer that than an enchanted tales type thing.
If memory serves, it was to be two stories?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every net ad is a plus. It’s about to become our “battle cry”
It was going to be an ODV cart called "Merry Poppin' Treats" with exclusive popcorn flavors and buckets.

;)
More likely 🙄

TrainsOfDisney

what we need to realize is that a carousel, got budget cut to a meet and greet, and then got budget cut to nothing. At one of the world’s most visited theme parks.

A Mary Poppins Carousel would be a lovely addition, as would a meet and greet. But neither should have ever been the main attraction to an announced “transformation” of Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom