News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Haymarket2008

Was Poppins divisive or just the slimmed down version? Genuinely curious. I think getting a full attraction would do wonders for beginning the process of balancing out World Showcase by putting two rides in the east, two in the west, a large theater show (American Adventure) in the center, and a couple of CircleVisions scattered about. IMO, it still needs probably two more rides and a refresh for Mexico, but it would really help flesh out that half of the park.

I think if you embrace/accept the inevitable IP centered additions of the park moving forward, Poppins wasn’t divisive. But where I think it WAS divisive was A) it being based on Mary Poppins Returns rather than the far more beloved and classic original, and B) it allegedly wasn’t a full experience or dark ride that we would expect from that property. It was most likely an off the shelf carnival ride or a deluxe meet and greet experience a la Enchanted Tales with Belle. Most, including me, felt that the project was a wasted opportunity.

If they want Poppins in the parks (or to continue to dilute Epcot) at least make it the best that it can be. Not skimped out on.

EPCOT-O.G.

I think if you embrace/accept the inevitable IP centered additions of the park moving forward, Poppins wasn’t divisive. But where I think it WAS divisive was A) it being based on Mary Poppins Returns rather than the far more beloved and classic original, and B) it allegedly wasn’t a full experience or dark ride that we would expect from that property. It was most likely an off the shelf carnival ride or a deluxe meet and greet experience a la Enchanted Tales with Belle. Most, including me, felt that the project was a wasted opportunity.

If they want Poppins in the parks (or to continue to dilute Epcot) at least make it the best that it can be. Not skimped out on.
A dark ride / trackless that simulates the freed carousel horses through setpieces in both films would have been wonderful.

Dunston

Of course this has been cancelled. Iger can't be bothered with an attraction based on Walt's greatest live-action achievement when the money can be better spent on on Marvel or Star Wars or one of Iger's other trash acquisitions. Ol' Bob sure put one over on Roy Disney when the latter agreed with making him CEO. Roy once said "Disney isn't a 'brand'!" But to Iger, Disney is nothing BUT a brand. The parks aren't innovative, imaginative creative entities; they're hubs for merchandising. What a living caricature of corporate greed Iger is, and unfortunately, he's remade the company in his own image...
This guy needs to calm down

mergatroid

Of course this has been cancelled. Iger can't be bothered with an attraction based on Walt's greatest live-action achievement when the money can be better spent on on Marvel or Star Wars or one of Iger's other trash acquisitions. Ol' Bob sure put one over on Roy Disney when the latter agreed with making him CEO. Roy once said "Disney isn't a 'brand'!" But to Iger, Disney is nothing BUT a brand. The parks aren't innovative, imaginative creative entities; they're hubs for merchandising. What a living caricature of corporate greed Iger is, and unfortunately, he's remade the company in his own image...
In fairness didn't he just recently sanction and have built MMRR at the Studios? I mean you can't get more iconic and traditional if you tried.

TTA94

Despite the fact that Coco absolutely deserves its own attraction, this was the right move. The pavilion can only really support a 3 Cab level experience. Mexico would have to be retooled far beyond recognition.

To bad they can’t expand Mexico and Norway and build a Coco attraction and a brand new FEA attraction. I do actually like FEA but the fact it’s a old attraction shows a lot especially with the bumps lol. Coco, Frozen, Poppins and Moana have big potentials to be awesome attractions. It’s a shame.

Brer Panther

In fairness didn't he just recently sanction and have built MMRR at the Studios? I mean you can't get more iconic and traditional if you tried.
Maybe it'd be more iconic and traditional if it weren't for the fact that this is the version of Mickey it uses:
1624138476911.png

SailorMercury

It’s a shame they’re not in Fantasyland.
Frozen should be in Fantasyland (coming from #1 FEA apologist), the rest could go elsewhere.

Coco fits the idea of showcasing Mexican culture, fitting the original idea of World Showcase. (But at the same time it’s based on a holiday. It’s like making a Christmas ride permanent)

Mary Poppins would also fit Fantasyland (gut PPF for it I don’t care for PPF lmao) but the UK is the pavilion most in need of something IMO. It’s usually the pavilion I spend the least amount of time in.

As for Moana, I could totally see it in Adventureland if they had the space for it. But because there’s no space, Fantasyland is a good alternative I suppose.

J4546

imagine if they created an amazing dark ride where it started like a carousel and everyone got their own horse....and then the horses seperated like in the movie...I am trying to imagine how the ride vehicles would be though....cause id like them to be single rider carousel horses and not sit down group vehicles....im thinking they are hung from the sky like peter pan and you make a ride kinda like that, but your on a horse soaring over the UK and through the mary poppins universe.

The big downfall is with a single rider carousel style horse ride vehicles, someone could fall off if they were an idiot....and lots of people are idiots.

SailorMercury

imagine if they created an amazing dark ride where it started like a carousel and everyone got their own horse....and then the horses seperated like in the movie...I am trying to imagine how the ride vehicles would be though....cause id like them to be single rider carousel horses and not sit down group vehicles....im thinking they are hung from the sky like peter pan and you make a ride kinda like that, but your on a horse soaring over the UK and through the mary poppins universe.

The big downfall is with a single rider carousel style horse ride vehicles, someone could fall off if they were an idiot....and lots of people are idiots.
We have lap bars for a reason. It'd be pretty easy to seamlessly add one in.

James Alucobond

Carousels tend to have benches as well, so you could have horses that no one actually "occupies" going along an inner track with the benches on the outside so that it looks like a standard carousel when loading at the queue, but guests only take the bench seats.

TikibirdLand

Didn’t pass the eye test

that lamppost dance really differentiated from step in time

and rolling Angela Lansbury (Andrews declined...to her credit) to sing “nowhere to go but up” was such a bold departure from “let’s go fly a kite”...

I mean...one had kites and one had balloons!!

you know...you can like Disney and not swallow everything they tell you...the two can be mutually exclusive concepts.
I, for one, loved MP:R. Songs were witty. Blunt and Miranda put in lovely performances. You had to have nods to the previous movie. I'd love to see another too. Loved seeing Angela Landsbury in the movie; I don't think Julie Andrews fit that part. Dick VanDyke was in it and gave some great retrospective commentary. If you're a fan of the first movie, wouldn't you want to walk down Cherry Tree Lane? I'd totally do that before wanting to walk down that wasteland called Black Spire Outpost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I, for one, loved MP:R. Songs were witty. Blunt and Miranda put in lovely performances. You had to have nods to the previous movie. I'd love to see another too. Loved seeing Angela Landsbury in the movie; I don't think Julie Andrews fit that part. Dick VanDyke was in it and gave some great retrospective commentary. If you're a fan of the first movie, wouldn't you want to walk down Cherry Tree Lane? I'd totally do that before wanting to walk down that wasteland called Black Spire Outpost.
Well...I can concede that 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom