News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

kpilcher

I think only the foundations were poured. It was the only attraction Card Walker didn’t like at TDL bc it glanced over WWII and he served on an aircraft carrier that was hit by a kamikaze attack.
Hi. No the whole building was built. It’s the enormous fortress at the back. Mitsukoshi has taken over some of the space for retail. The rest is used for storage. I recently met one of the pavilion’s architects. He believes budget was the number one reason it wasn‘t built and denies the long-standing story that the builders misread the blueprints making the space too small for MTW. He chucked and said “that’s a great story. Completely not true. But a good story.“

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hi. No the whole building was built. It’s the enormous fortress at the back. Mitsukoshi has taken over some of the space for retail. The rest is used for storage. I recently met one of the pavilion’s architects. He believes budget was the number one reason it wasn‘t built and denies the long-standing story that the builders misread the blueprints making the space too small for MTW. He chucked and said “that’s a great story. Completely not true. But a good story.“
The building wasn’t too small. There were support beams in the wrong place. That was to be fixed when MTW was built in phase two, but with the park way over budget phase two took a different route.

And yes, the whole building was built. It is a huge area split into storage and workshops. Nothing that can’t be moved.

EPCOT-O.G.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? I know it was announced, promotional posters were included and everything, no since then...zilch. I think it was also removed from Epcot Forever (?). Anyhow, has there been any definitive statement as to its cancellation? Or has it been functionally memory-holed, never to be spoken of again?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Has anyone heard anything more about this? I know it was announced, promotional posters were included and everything, no since then...zilch. I think it was also removed from Epcot Forever (?). Anyhow, has there been any definitive statement as to its cancellation? Or has it been functionally memory-holed, never to be spoken of again?

ToTBellHop

It’s more canceled than Kevin Spacey.

Brer Panther

I believe it was cancelled to fund the Splash Mountain retheme.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Man, I saw this thread get revived and was thinking this may be back on the table for a second…I really wanted this to happen (in it’s original form).

that was modern “great management” bait and switch...a newer type thing.

not everything planned is built...that’s not unheard of...but announce and reduce/cancel is so tacky and the customers never call them on it.

they just threw this out to fluff up their “coming soons”...it didn’t seem like they ever really wanted to do it. If cash flowed through Epcot like a river...maybe...but that didn’t happen.

remember that the new movie disappointed as well. It was supposed to be a franchise.

...perhaps taking a classic movie and doing a straight up remake wasn’t wise? No Star Wars geeks to rush to the box office before the bad taste set in on that one.

Surferboy567

that was modern “great management” bait and switch...a newer type thing.

not everything planned is built...that’s not unheard of...but announce and reduce/cancel is so tacky and the customers never call them on it.

they just threw this out to fluff up their “coming soons”...it didn’t seem like they ever really wanted to do it. If cash flowed through Epcot like a river...maybe...but that didn’t happen.

remember that the new movie disappointed as well. It was supposed to be a franchise.

...perhaps taking a classic movie and doing a straight up remake wasn’t wise? No Star Wars geeks to rush to the box office before the bad taste set in on that one.
Not really sure why Returns gets this bad rap…I really enjoyed it. I can understand the criticism but I thought it was a well made movie with some great songs. Obviously, the first is a classic and an incredible movie with even better songs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WOW. Full on cancelled, eh?? Didn't expect that, to be honest. I thought it would have been a "push down the pipeline" like Spaceship Earth 5.0.
Lol...They don’t build 1/10th of what is “rumored” and 1/3 of what WDI thinks is “greenlit”
History is a collection of facts...not whispers

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom