News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Tonto

Is it possible that the development of this attraction would be impacted by the closure of the Chinese Disney Parks due to the Corona virus or is it too far along in the process to be impacted?

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Is it possible that the development of this attraction would be impacted by the closure of the Chinese Disney Parks due to the Corona virus or is it too far along in the process to be impacted?

I'd be surprised if they walk it back. A "Main Street USA Theater" repeat wouldn't go over well. It sure is quiet though. While I don't think it cancelled, I do wonder if the plans have changed. I hope we get more than a M&G.

CJR

Just my two cents, but I really hope no one in power would consider spending that kind of money on just a M&G.

This is different than Belle because Belle was part of a much larger expansion that ultimately included two and half new rides. It also brought the very popular and profitable Be Our Guest restaurant next door. Even then, many people criticize the project today, not really the best thing to compare to.

Even a carousel would be an addition and something that's not already available in Epcot. Mary Poppins already has a M&G in the UK pavilion. So as an investor, I fail to see any RoI with just a M&G. That's just bad money management, not that a carousel should be the top pick either, but at least there's some justification there.

Last edited:

justintheharris

I'd be surprised if they walk it back. A "Main Street USA Theater" repeat wouldn't go over well. It sure is quiet though. While I don't think it cancelled, I do wonder if the plans have changed. I hope we get more than a M&G.
Given that the experience is being touted every day in the Epcot Experience exhibit, I don't think Disney would ever be able to get away with cancelling the project.

FigmentFan82

Remember: Main Street Theater.
To be fair though, wasn't that just 1 piece of concept art and then crickets after? I get that they can (and do) anything they very well please, but the time and effort put into the exhibit in Odyssey seems like there's a plan to invest in the project. But again, who know. Surely not me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well judging by the Epcot models, and what an insider has told us, there was a Coco whatever that was coming, and now it is not. Only the model of the Mexico pavilion with Miguel's guitar is left of a shadow of what was going to be, but got cut or delayed. Same with the Imagination pavilion... continued to be put off.

If Poppins is coming for the 50th, they only have 15 months left to complete it before the 50th. Otherwise, it most likely gets delayed to 2023 to be completed with the rest of the Epcot additions/upgrades.

So, between Main Street Theater and Coco and Imagination... it's clear Disney has no problems cutting or delaying projects, even when they are announced or have a display that they pretend doesn't exist.

justintheharris

Well judging by the Epcot models, and what an insider has told us, there was a Coco whatever that was coming, and now it is not. Only the model of the Mexico pavilion with Miguel's guitar is left of a shadow of what was going to be, but got cut or delayed. Same with the Imagination pavilion... continued to be put off.

If Poppins is coming for the 50th, they only have 15 months left to complete it before the 50th. Otherwise, it most likely gets delayed to 2023 to be completed with the rest of the Epcot additions/upgrades.

So, between Main Street Theater and Coco and Imagination... it's clear Disney has no problems cutting or delaying projects, even when they are announced or have a display that they pretend doesn't exist.
But there is not and never was a Coco segment being advertised in the film. It's unlikely most guests know or think anything of the Mexico pavilion on the model. On the other hand, Mary Poppins is not only on the model, but she has a segment in the film. And there has been so much publicity on the attraction that cancelling it would catch the attention of not just D23 fanatics but of the general public.

Bocabear

These days 15 months is barely enough time to build a spinner...I am beginning to think the Mary Poppins attraction is going to be little more than a facade and movie set walk through...unless they are pushing this one until 2023 too...

yensidtlaw1969

But there is not and never was a Coco segment being advertised in the film. It's unlikely most guests know or think anything of the Mexico pavilion on the model. On the other hand, Mary Poppins is not only on the model, but she has a segment in the film. And there has been so much publicity on the attraction that cancelling it would catch the attention of not just D23 fanatics but of the general public.

Not to mention that the Guitar on the Mexico Model is not Miguel's, it's just a guitar. The defining feature of Miguel's guitar is the skull shaped headstock, which the one on the model doesn't have. The shape of the body is different from his too. Weird, but it's not the smoking gun people have made it out to be.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 2.17.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 2.21.09 PM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to mention that the Guitar on the Mexico Model is not Miguel's, it's just a guitar. The defining feature of Miguel's guitar is the skull shaped headstock, which the one on the model doesn't have. The shape of the body is different from his too. Weird, but it's not the smoking gun people have made it out to be.

View attachment 447166View attachment 447167

Except insiders have said that they were planning something Coco and it got pushed off.

UNCgolf

A bit off topic, but with the discussion of Mary Poppins Returns vs. the original for the attraction, I was interested to see that MPR was the #5 selling dvd/blu-ray in the UK in 2019, above Toy Story 4 and The Lion King. Perhaps it has turned into a strong property for Disney, at least over there?

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/end-of-year-video-chart/

It's not like the movie did poorly in the theaters either, despite what some people have claimed -- it was the 30th highest grossing movie of 2018, despite only showing for a week and a half that year. If you add on the money it made in 2019, it would have been in the top 20 of 2018.

I don't think it was anywhere near as good as the original, but it was still a fun, solid movie.

HauntedMansionFLA

Structure? This is breaking news.
This was over at the MK in the parking where the theatre was to be located. It was a large steel structure. Probably nothing but it’s there.
Now, back to Mary Poppins. I hope it’s on the same scale as what they are doing over at France.

Surferboy567

I find it weird that supposedly this is part of the 50th and they haven’t even broken ground? Even if it isn’t supposed to be ready for the 50th what makes it even stranger is that our insiders really don’t know what this entails (in terms of a ride) or they know and can’t tell. By now, I would of expected Disney to at least tell us what is being put here in terms of the experience/when it’s projected to open. I’m getting Main Street theater vibes...please don’t get cancelled but I don’t think it will due to it being in the Epcot experience plus the big hoopla at D23.

I’m aware that a carousel, elaborate meet and greet or enchanted tales with belle like experience is on the table but I wish we would just get a straight answer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom