News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

FigmentFan82

So take 'em to Sesame Place or something. WDW is not supposed to be a day care center. Mary Poppins is NOT pablum for infants. How dare anyone dumb it down like that?
Nobody is saying WDW should be a daycare, but your attitude is way off base and you should check yourself. WDW is not your personal adult playground. Get off your high horse and try to think outside your perspective for once.

FigmentFan82

That is what the Magic Kingdom is for...lol
I know it's in jest, but EPCOT isn not supposed to be just for the grown ups. I'm not saying I want something that is just for teeny tiny babies, but I don't fault TDO for their efforts to have family entertainment for all ages. And of course its speculation of a younger skewing attraction in the first place

Kman101

It will have customized horses and seats, it will have to have a ridiculous level of redundant safety features, then there is show programming, music recording, writing, and production, If screens hold true, there will be animation to be done, writers and an army of technicians... I honestly understand how the prices get so high...I was just hoping for more than a carousel...

We all were.

They better do a *darn* good job because the casuals are gonna riot. People are genuinely excited for a Poppins attraction and I don't think a glorified carousel will cut it this time. But who knows?

Rich Brownn

I know it's in jest, but EPCOT isn not supposed to be just for the grown ups. I'm not saying I want something that is just for teeny tiny babies, but I don't fault TDO for their efforts to have family entertainment for all ages. And of course its speculation of a younger skewing attraction in the first place
Actually that exactly what EPCOT Center was supposed to be when it first opened - it was aimed at adults and not children. Hence the original no-Disney-character rule in place at the time

VaderTron

They better do a *darn* good job because the casuals are gonna riot. People are genuinely excited for a Poppins attraction and I don't think a glorified carousel will cut it this time. But who knows?
The truth is they know they don't have to do better than a carousel. WDW fans cry all the time when they asked for cake (affordable prices, high-quality food options, and new E-tickets) but got a mouthful of spinach instead (paid parking at hotels, 100% increase in AP prices since 2010, 50-75% increase in hotel cost since 2010, average or lower quality food at many locations, new rides like A.S.S. and Navi promoted as major new rides). We could learn something from a child in this case. They have the sense to spit out the disgusting substitute for the cake they requested no matter how much they are told the spinach is good for them. We (not me, but the collective WDW attendees) have lost that pure, natural rejection of what we dislike instinct. We've bought into the narrative of "Just hold your nose and swallow. It's not that bad." In so doing we have given Disney permission to build 'just a carousel'. Why would they do more? They know we will eat the spinach anyway even though it's not the cake we asked for.

Last edited:

Tonto

The truth is they know they don't have to do better than a carousel. WDW fans cry all the time when they asked for cake (afordable prices, high-quality food options, and new E-tickets) but got a mouthful of spinach instead (paid parking at hotels, 100% increase in AP prices since 2010, 50-75% increase in hotel cost since 2010, average or lower quality food at many locations, new rides like A.S.S. and Navi promoted as major new rides). We could learn something from a child in this case. They have the sense to spit out the disgusting substitute for the cake they requested no matter how much they are told the spinach is good for them. We (not me, but the collective WDW attendees) have lost that pure, natural rejection of what we dislike instinct. We've bought into the narrative of "Just hold your nose and swallow. It's not that bad." In so doing we have given Disney permission to build 'just a carousel'. Why would they do more? They know we will eat the spinach anyway even though it's not the cake we asked for.
Your argument sounds strong in a vacuum. You cant mention the bad without mentioning the good. Navi is not a great ride but it is a good ride in combination with that area. FOP is amazing. Thats only one example. There is a strong line up of rides that are about to be completed as well. Why not mention those? Oh, because it gets in the way of your doomsday scenario.

VaderTron

Your argument sounds strong in a vacuum. You cant mention the bad without mentioning the good. Navi is not a great ride but it is a good ride in combination with that area. FOP is amazing. Thats only one example. There is a strong line up of rides that are about to be completed as well. Why not mention those? Oh, because it gets in the way of your doomsday scenario.
Not a doomsday scenario. That's what all "pixie dusters" want to paint any negative statements as. However, doomsday would be the park closes due to mismanagement, the company goes bankrupt, etc. We are not talking about that. Also, no one said they are incapable of building great rides. That's what's so maddening about this. They have the ability to maintain high-quality, but the lowering of quality has not met with lower satisfaction (at least in revenue, which is the only language Disney reads).

In this case the scenario isn't doomsday. It's accepting a carousel as satisfactory instead of a more interesting ride. The reasons Disney will likely do it anyway are because there are enough people like you that say, "You know what, there are other things that are great so I'm ok with lower standards as long as I get some good things with it."

To modify the earlier analogy, "OK I will eat the spinach. Just put it on my cake and I'll eat it together." Because we all know that will taste great.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Let's also be fair. You seem to be cutting hard on the bad and really pushing strong on the good. Perhaps because there is no good news on the price hikes on everything including tickets/passes/hotels. You conveniently glossed over that part.

UNCgolf

It didn't ban children, but it didn't cater to them either. Closest you got was Journey.

I think it catered to intelligent/inquisitive children who liked learning.

I'm not even sure it's about children vs. adults (other than the drinking in the World Showcase). I'm pretty sure the people who didn't like it as kids still didn't really like it as adults, and the people who loved it as adults would have still loved it as kids. I know it was my favorite Disney park when I was 8.

Rich Brownn

I think it catered to intelligent/inquisitive children who liked learning.

I'm not even sure it's about children vs. adults (other than the drinking in the World Showcase). I'm pretty sure the people who didn't like it as kids still didn't really like it as adults, and the people who loved it as adults would have still loved it as kids. I know it was my favorite Disney park when I was 8.
Well, the biggest complaint it got was that it wasn't kid-friendly. So first the character were allowed back. Then "play areas" we're introduced. Movies like "Symbiosis" got replaced with a film with Lion King characters... and slowly, over time, it evolved (or de-evolved depending on your viewpoint) to where the characters are the attraction in the case of the new additions (Frozen, Beauty & The Beast, Ratatouille)....

gustaftp

So I looked it up orginally there was going to be a Switzerland pavilion between Italy and germany with the matterhorn. Also the matterhorn is on the border of the two countries. See attachedView attachment 422242
Yep, it's a beautiful ski resort that has a Swiss side and an Italian side. One of the best days of my life so far was skiing in Zermatt. If you see the real Matterhorn in person (and all the trains!) you can understand why Walt Disney was so inspired by it. It's one of the most beautiful places in the world.

jt04

Not a doomsday scenario. That's what all "pixie dusters" want to paint any negative statements as. However, doomsday would be the park closes due to mismanagement, the company goes bankrupt, etc. We are not talking about that. Also, no one said they are incapable of building great rides. That's what's so maddening about this. They have the ability to maintain high-quality, but the lowering of quality has not met with lower satisfaction (at least in revenue, which is the only language Disney reads).

In this case the scenario isn't doomsday. It's accepting a carousel as satisfactory instead of a more interesting ride. The reasons Disney will likely do it anyway are because there are enough people like you that say, "You know what, there are other things that are great so I'm ok with lower standards as long as I get some good things with it."

To modify the earlier analogy, "OK I will eat the spinach. Just put it on my cake and I'll eat it together." Because we all know that will taste great.

Walt installed a Carousel. He never designed every attraction as an E ticket.

VaderTron

Walt installed a Carousel. He never designed every attraction as an E ticket.
I didn't say the ride should be an E-ticket. I said it should be better than a carousel. Your comment underscores why. We already have a carousel at WDW. To install a second is lazy and unimaginative, two things Walt would not approve of.

Bender123

I didn't say the ride should be an E-ticket. I said it should be better than a carousel. Your comment underscores why. We already have a carousel at WDW. To install a second is lazy and unimaginative, two things Walt would not approve of.

We already have multiple movies, dark rides, and others too.

Small World and Mexico are basically the same ride experience with different scenery...

Honestly, EPCOT needs something for small children, so I have less concern for this, because "at least its an attraction" even if its not really built for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom