News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

waltography

Emily Blunt slander? On this forum? Can you imagine that?

giphy.gif

Mike S

By the way, did you all know that originally a Mary Poppins ride was going to go into the Magic Kingdom for Opening Day 1971? In the end, Roy Disney decided to clone Peter Pan for Fantasyland’s dark “flying” ride than to spend a whole new development budget on an original Mary Poppins MK dark ride.
I did ✋

We were also supposed to get Sleepy Hollow and I think Sleeping Beauty instead of Toad and Snow.

Rich Brownn

Uh, no - the original Dumbo was a huge box-office success:

Despite the advent of World War II, Dumbo was still the most financially successful Disney film of the 1940s. After its October 23 release, Dumbo proved to be a financial miracle compared to other Disney films. The simple film only cost $950,000 (equivalent to $16,180,000 in 2018) to produce,[2] half the cost of Snow White, less than a third of the cost of Pinocchio, and certainly less than the expensive Fantasia. Dumbo eventually grossed $1.6 million (equivalent to $27,250,000 in 2018) during its original release; it and Snow White were the only two pre-1943 Disney features to turn a profit.[3] The film was re-released in theaters in 1949, 1959, 1972, and 1976.

Facts - gotta love 'em!

Now as for Fantasia - yep, the film was too smart for the room. Not that it was perfect, overall - sections of it were perfect (such as the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy segment, and of course the Sorcerer's Apprentice, and the Night on Bald Mountain segment). The segment The Rite of Spring is terribly dated, although not Walt's fault - the dinosaurs reflected the beliefs of the time, whereas nowadays we know that dinosaurs were basically overgrown chickens :p). But it's still a worthy film - that's why it's remembered and appreciated despite its lackluster box office performance.

I...hope you're not comparing Mary Poppins Returns to Fantasia...?
You know what classic bombed? "Pinocchio" for one. <The war cut off much needed international box-office>. And of course "Sleeping Beauty" which tanked so bad at the box-office that it actually drove the Disney company into the red for the year. Its just two examples of enduring classics that failed at the box-office (even "the Wizard of Oz" was a major disappointment on release)

UNCgolf

Anyone have a higher quality pic? That's clearly a decorative facade/structure at the right of Number 17. Queue? But I'm more interested in what that giant "Go Away Green" thing is at top left. 😲

I'm not sure that's supposed to be anything -- it also looks like they have Big Ben in the background but there's no Big Ben in the UK pavilion (nor could they possibly be adding it where it appears in the concept art).

tonymu

Premium Member
There is quite a bit of space in the suggested area of the UK area to do a lot, including a large dark ride if they choose. If you look at the artwork for the new Cherry Tree Lane buildings(Below Bottom) you can see that the new building facades line up with corner of the existing Toy Soldier building, but unlike the current square, they do not run perpendicular from it, but start curving into the square, and towards The Queens Table (RED line). This adds space behind the facades. If you leave the Millennium tent structure and the access road around it and just remove trees you have space for a pretty large attraction building (GREEN line/YELLOW shaded area). If you close the service road connection to the IG drop off circle and remove the small structures in the middle you can get an even larger space (BLUE lines & shaded area) to add to the yellow area and have a giant pad space.
EPCOT UK Pavilion Poppins.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm not sure that's supposed to be anything -- it also looks like they have Big Ben in the background but there's no Big Ben in the UK pavilion (nor could they possibly be adding it where it appears in the concept art).

With these things it's a usually combination of artistic embellishments and hiding what you don't want people to see. However, I wouldn't rule out Big Ben just yet. As for the possible Go away Green warehouse; follow the lines. They're parallel to the Cherry Tree Lane facade - lines up perfectly. That's got to be a building. It also just happens to line up with what @tonymu has mapped.

@MisterPenguin, How large is that area?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With these things it's a usually combination of artistic embellishments and hiding what you don't want people to see. However, I wouldn't rule out Big Ben just yet. As for the possible Go away Green warehouse; follow the lines. They're parallel to the Cherry Tree Lane facade - lines up perfectly. That's got to be a building. It also just happens to line up with what @tonymu has mapped.

@MisterPenguin, How large is that area?

That go-away green building is part of the Millennial Showcase tent...

I doubt they'd actually paint it green, so, artist's liberty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom