News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Epcot_Imagineer

Just needed to vent this out, and it just happens to be the thread I'm in so stay with me -- These forums have been filled to the brim with "-blank- will never be beloved" or "-blank- is a failure" after only a few years. If it's not about Mary Poppins Returns, it's about any other of the live action remakes, or it's about Galaxy's Edge.

Every single one of these arguments is pure opinion or speculation unless it's being made after a sizeable chunk of time. A half-done GE is being called an utter failure after being open for what... 3 months? Mary Poppins Returns came out less than a year ago, The Lion King only a month.

Can everyone stop leaning on the argument of something "not being iconic or beloved" as to a point of failure? If you're going to make an argument it'd be much more compelling to point to box office numbers, a reason of why something won't engage guests (the argument of Batuu not being in the movies is to me a valid argument people can point to, wether I agree or not is a different issue), or something like that.

Rant over, my apologies :)

Phicinfan

Fella,
get back to me in five years and tell me how many people are re-watching the lifeless drone that is the 2019 Lion King reboot over the original.
Get back to me in five years and tell me how Beauty and the Beast bUt LiVe AcTiOn has aged in the public eye compared to the original.
Get back to me when anyone can even remember the live action Jungle Book or Dumbo.
Alright, fella?

I don't know if you're aware but theme park rides usually need to be built to be be popular and beloved for 20+ years. Mary Poppins Returns is not going to be a property that's beloved in 20+ years.

buot injay Lins tellin' ya's tuh git uf da ryde saftleh ihn iz adooorabulas englush dialuct!
Forgive me if I am wrong, but Jungle book has been out there for what 3 or 4 years, and I watch it quite a bit. Then again, I kind of liked the remake of Pete's Dragon.

There is something to be said of refreshing some classics to bring the BACK to the attention of others you know....

Phicinfan

I repeat the question: Why do you care enough to pick an argument if I don't think these properties will continue to be beloved and then act like something's wrong with me when I defend my position? And duh, it's an opinion. Just like your thoughts on the matter are an opinion.
Just guessing here, but probably due to your pompous and over bearing know it all type answering.....

Magenta Panther

Why are the live-action remakes of Disney classic toons so popular? Two reasons: nostalgia and the old same-only-different formula.

People who grew up with certain films like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast want to experience the magic again, especially with their kids. The live-action cash grabs are a way to do it. At first, the fact that most of the remakes are lesser endeavors doesn't matter. Emma Watson plays Belle! But in hindsight, the glow of nostalgia fades and the deep flaws of the remakes surface. No such thing happens with the original animated versions. They're the gold standard.

THAT'S why Mary Poppins Returns will never be as beloved as the first Poppins. It didn't even make the money or win the awards the original did. So that's why any Poppins ride would be wise to eschew anything from the unnecessary sequel. But wisdom is a scarce commodity at TDO these days...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Why are the live-action remakes of Disney classic toons so popular? Two reasons: nostalgia and the old same-only-different formula.

People who grew up with certain films like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast want to experience the magic again, especially with their kids. The live-action cash grabs are a way to do it. At first, the fact that most of the remakes are lesser endeavors doesn't matter. Emma Watson plays Belle! But in hindsight, the glow of nostalgia fades and the deep flaws of the remakes surface. No such thing happens with the original animated versions. They're the gold standard.

THAT'S why Mary Poppins Returns will never be as beloved as the first Poppins. It didn't even make the money or win the awards the original did. So that's why any Poppins ride would be wise to eschew anything from the unnecessary sequel. But wisdom is a scarce commodity at TDO these days...
I feel like Mary Poppins Returns is a different situation from most of the remakes. Since It's a lovingly crafted belated sequel and not a cash grab remake (some of which are also good). It's also in the same medium, rather than changing from animation to live action.

I'm sure that Returns will not be as beloved as the original the same way very few sequels are as beloved as the original. That's just inherent in sequels.

But Returns isn't a remake. So, it has more in common with Tron Legacy, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 3/4 than it does with the live action remakes. Your comparison is inherently flawed.

Goofywilliam

I feel like Mary Poppins Returns is a different situation from most of the remakes. Since It's a lovingly crafted belated sequel and not a cash grab remake (some of which are also good). It's also in the same medium, rather than changing from animation to live action.

I'm sure that Returns will not be as beloved as the original the same way very few sequels are as beloved as the original. That's just inherent in sequels.

But Returns isn't a remake. So, it has more in common with Tron Legacy, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 3/4 than it does with the live action remakes. Your comparison is inherently flawed.
I agree. I walked out of Mary Poppins Returns saying that it was the best live action movie Disney has created in a very long time. Enchanted is the only other live action film I can think of that had the same special Disney touch.

However, I feel as if Disney's trend of only making live action remakes made marketing this movie difficult (despite the name of the movie literally implying it is a sequel). I had multiple friends go tot he movies to see this film with the expectation it was a remake. They were disappointed about none of the original music being preset, although they all still loved the film.

Lucky for fans of the movie, I have seen a lot more chatter about it ever since it was put on Netflix. Hopefully it will reach a wider audience while it is on that platform and (eventually) on Disney +.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The popularity of a remake doesn’t even have to be tied to nostalgia. I’ve never seen the original Aladdin (although hubby says we still have a VHS copy and the kids watched it a thousand times), and yet I saw the live action version at the theatres six times this summer.

It wasn’t nostalgia pulling me back into the theatres, it was a visually stunning movie, likeable characters, great acting, catchy tunes, and mostly Will Smith’s portrayal of Genie.

I’ve since seen dozens of side by side comparisons of Robin Williams’ Genie to Will Smith’s Genie on YT, and I’ll say it again ... Robin who?

Kman101

The popularity of a remake doesn’t even have to be tied to nostalgia. I’ve never seen the original Aladdin (although hubby says we still have a VHS copy and the kids watched it a thousand times), and yet I saw the live action version at the theatres six times this summer.

It wasn’t nostalgia pulling me back into the theatres, it was a visually stunning movie, likeable characters, great acting, catchy tunes, and mostly Will Smith’s portrayal of Genie.

I’ve since seen dozens of side by side comparisons of Robin Williams’ Genie to Will Smith’s Genie on YT, and I’ll say it again ... Robin who?

You had me until Robin who? ;)

FigmentFan82

Funny, the two billion dollar remakes of Aladdin and the Lion King tells a different story about what the public has caught onto. But, keep spinning your opinion in the face of contradictory facts.
While I am in the camp that like the remakes for the most part, box office does not equal quality - see Transformers.

For full transparency here's my rundown of the remakes:

Alice in Wonderland 1 & 2 - didn't like
Cinderella - liked
Jungle Book - liked
Beauty and the Beast - didn't like
Dumbo - haven't seen
Aladin - liked more than i thought i would
Lion King - haven't seen

Calling these the Iger era direct to DVD sequels is not entirely farfetched if the end product quality is low. I hope for the best in all these cases, as I like to see good product come out from the house of mouse. They are definitly not all winners, even if they make mucho bucks, and that's ok

PizzaPlanet

There's no doubt that the live-action remakes have been extremely successful, just like the direct to DVD sequels were in their time. But when it seems like the general consensus is that they aren't better than the originals, even among those that enjoy them, it's hard not to think that they will be forgotten over time. Just like how today it seems like everyone has forgotten the direct to DVD sequels, including TWDC.

smile

And yet, Pandora has been quite successful. This is probably not the example you want to use to debunk the argument that box office success should play a factor when it comes to selecting theme park IPs.

only if it can be said that pandora's success is due to avatar's popularity, which it isn't

just combining a few things you inadvertently dived right between...
initial box office take =/= longevity (certainly not 'belovedness') and lame ips can deliver successful lands as successful ips can deliver lame lands

size matters, too, as i'm indifferent to an emily-go-round, but really don't appreaciate ren in mmrr

Kman101

only if it can be said that pandora's success is due to avatar's popularity, which it isn't

just combining a few things you inadvertently dived right between...
initial box office take =/= longevity (certainly not 'belovedness') and lame ips can deliver successful lands as successful ips can deliver lame lands

size matters, too, as i'm indifferent to an emily-go-round, but really don't appreaciate ren in mmrr

You don't have to see the movie to appreciate the land. It's an incredible land. Most folks don't walk through it saying "god I hate this land because the movie sucked!"

It's almost like some folks are bitter they actually did a good job.

smile

You don't have to see the movie to appreciate the land. It's an incredible land. Most folks don't walk through it saying "god I hate this land because the movie sucked!"

not sure avatar really generated that much emotion either way, but yeah

It's almost like some folks are bitter they actually did a good job.

you're either projecting or not comprehending, perhaps both

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom