News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Missing20K

Nope, I'm just probably someone Disney is trying to target with their expansions.
-Mid 20s
-Still new to paying for my own vacations (going this month and wow is Disney Expensive)
-Getting ready to start a family (Family vacations are money makers)
-Refer to the OG Mary Poppins as "Scary Mary" (Hated that movie as a kid and don't know anyone my age that loves it), didn't see the new one.
-See every Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar movie opening weekend (Toy Story 4 is great!)

I feel like most of Poppins fandom has already decided whether or not they are Disney Vacation people and the addition of a ride would not sway them one way or the other... The movie is 55 years old! They still need to convince people my age that if I spend 10k for a week long family vacation, that it should be in central Florida and not Europe, Hawaii, or Mexico. Marvel, Pixar, Pirates, Star Wars, ect. are things that would push me towards spending money at Disney World, not Poppins.

I'm going with my fiance next month (hasn't been to WDW is ~10 years). She is most looking forward to Frozen, Lion king, Toy Story Land, Buzz Lightyear, BatB show, LM show, and Nemo ride/show. These are all things from our childhood, and I don't blame Disney for targeting us, we are the most long term money they can go after. The IP mandate gets a lot of hate on these forums, and I get it. My favorite attractions are mostly not IP based. However, I can absolutely understand from a business perspective that GOTG roller coaster will sell way more tickets than Western River Expansion.
Sorry for digging out an older post, but I just wanted to chime in a little.

I don't disagree with your general premise. However, by this logic, all park decisions will be driven by the company's media products. Those media products are currently relying heavily on the franchise model. What happens to the parks when the franchise model begins to show signs of repeating and rehashing the same characters and world building, but just injecting new storylines, characters and settings? A simple, but in my opinion, fairly valid, comparison is to one of the soap opera. Soap operas have mostly the same cast of characters, settings, world building, and one can jump in at any point in the timeline and basically catch up to the character building and story within a "chapter" (movie, episode, etc.) or two. Does it help to have seen all the Iron Man movies to better understand Infinity War? Probably. Is it necessary? Probably not. (Disclosure: I have never seen any MCU movies, so I was just going for a random example. One could use the Star Wars films too).

My long winded point being, if media drives park content, and the media relies increasingly on telling "familiar" stories of known characters, what stories then does the park tell, other than stories driven by characters, stories, worlds, etc., that the public already know and love? Is there room for original, unique storytelling in the parks, that are not tied to existing media content?

thequeuelinelectures

Sorry, I'm not sure the abbreviation you're using. I checked @MisterPenguin's list but didn't find it.

He means Society of Explorers and Adventurers. Secret society of fictional characters that tie together a few attractions and restaurants like Tokyo's Tower of Terror, Miss adventure falls, fortress explorations, tropical hideaway, skipper canteen, mystic manor, and probably more I'm forgetting

Surferboy567

Let’s not get off topic...as far as I’m concerned this is probably the most likely thing. Marni even gave me a thumbs up.

Another bump, another Jim Hill rumor. Standard procedure thought I’d post this here because he has a proven record and all that you know the drill, on to the story.

(Side Note: I think this is real because it lines up perfectly with what @marni1971 has said)

On the recent episode of Disney dish, they have started to discuss what kind of announcements they expect for D23. And guess what the first one they picked...THE UK!

So the way I understand it is that the original plans before the movie came out was to take the back portion of the UK pavilion with the shops and such and retheme that to cherry tree lane. Complete with admiral boom’s house and 17 cherry tree lane. A meet and greet would take place with poppins and JACK (returns character) on the steps of 17 cherry tree lane. Across the street where the gardens reside now the fair ground from the film (Nowhere to go but up) would be recreated complete with possible recycled attractions from Pixar pier. He goes on to say that this was all before the movie hit and the results were in...then he goes on to state “I heard that after the results came in the scope was reduced to a SINGLE FLAT RIDE”. This is why I think this is true because it lines up exactly with what @marni1971 has said.

If I hear anymore announcements from him in the coming weeks (we are bound to) I’ll post in the appropriate threads. Again, it’s Jim hill and of course this is a RUMOR, so this could all be wrong but it’s worth mentioning. Notice how a dark ride at least according to hill wasn’t mentioned. I found that interesting thoughts? Is this basically what you heard @marni1971?

Purduevian

My long winded point being, if media drives park content, and the media relies increasingly on telling "familiar" stories of known characters, what stories then does the park tell, other than stories driven by characters, stories, worlds, etc., that the public already know and love? Is there room for original, unique storytelling in the parks, that are not tied to existing media content?

Disney media is currently rehashing a lot of old media... but most of it doesn't have a large presence in the park. Aladdin has a spinner and meet and greet, Incredibles have a dance party, Ralph is non-existant, ect. On top of that there is an extreme back log of popular IP that could use a larger park presence such as Jungle book, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Pocahontas, Stitch, Tangled, Moana, and many many more even if it isn't "current" IP. Finally Disney does have original movies still coming out such as Onward and Soul next year. Basically if they choose every ride to have a popular IP (and I get that strategy), they can do it without needing to get repetitive for a long long time.

Going back to Mary Poppins, the idea of this attraction kind of baffles me because
1)It is not a "hot" IP to get people to visit WDW/Epcot (box office numbers show that)
2)It is not going to be something unique you just have to go back to ride again (like Tot or Everest) based on the rumors
So why are they building it?
If they wanted to add a cheap C-ticket on that side of world showcase with an IP, put Big Hero 6 in Japan or move Aladdin into Morocco [I know neither of them fit perfectly, but they fit about as well as Frozen]

On a side note while my fiance was most excited for all the IP rides... her favorite rides ended up being Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. Popular IP might get more people into the park, but I hope it continues to develop original, unique, and fitting E-tickets into the park to keep people coming back.

Surferboy567

Disney media is currently rehashing a lot of old media... but most of it doesn't have a large presence in the park. Aladdin has a spinner and meet and greet, Incredibles have a dance party, Ralph is non-existant, ect. On top of that there is an extreme back log of popular IP that could use a larger park presence such as Jungle book, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Pocahontas, Stitch, Tangled, Moana, and many many more even if it isn't "current" IP. Finally Disney does have original movies still coming out such as Onward and Soul next year. Basically if they choose every ride to have a popular IP (and I get that strategy), they can do it without needing to get repetitive for a long long time.

Going back to Mary Poppins, the idea of this attraction kind of baffles me because
1)It is not a "hot" IP to get people to visit WDW/Epcot (box office numbers show that)
2)It is not going to be something unique you just have to go back to ride again (like Tot or Everest) based on the rumors
If they wanted to add a cheap C-ticket on that side of world showcase with an IP, put Big Hero 6 in Japan or move Aladdin into Morocco [I know neither of them fit perfectly, but they fit about as well as Frozen]

On a side note while my fiance was most excited for all the IP rides... her favorite rides ended up being Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. Popular IP might get more people into the park, but I hope it continues to develop original, unique, and fitting E-tickets into the park to keep people coming back.

For the record, I’d be down with a wider Aladdin presence...and BH6 would be a welcome addition.

ToTBellHop

Because we have the the Jungle Cruise?

Sir_Cliff

My impression was that the idea here was a pretty mild diversion that would add an extra "ride" that would be relatively cheap and give people wandering around World Showcase something to do rather than attracting new visitors. Mary Poppins may not be hot, but it's also a cultural reference almost everyone knows and a franchise Disney is probably keen to keep alive in some way.

Honestly, of all the options you put forward, I'm also glad a Mary Poppins carousel is seeming the most likely as it would be the least intrusive. Another big point in favour of this attraction is that it would both work as theming and a (minor) new attraction as a carousel (assuming it's something along those lines) intuitively fits into a British park. I find it hard to imagine how they could achieve something similar with an attraction of this level themed to Aladdin in Morocco or to BH6 in Japan without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Bocabear

I’m fine with a nice little infil A ticket. Every park other than MK needs 10 A-C ticket attractions.
Says who?
I don't think that a half dozen carnival rides would have any place in EPCOT
YES! they need more attractions...they need to at the very least, build the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there decades ago, but spinner rides and carny rides have no place in that park... and won't necessarily help build attendance...
"I want to spend $100.00 for my entrance ticket to EPCOT because they now have a carousel and a teacup ride" said no one ever.

peter11435

Says who?
I don't think that a half dozen carnival rides would have any place in EPCOT
YES! they need more attractions...they need to at the very least, build the amount of attractions that were supposed to be there decades ago, but spinner rides and carny rides have no place in that park... and won't necessarily help build attendance...
"I want to spend $100.00 for my entrance ticket to EPCOT because they now have a carousel and a teacup ride" said no one ever.
A-C ticket attractions are not limited to spinners carousels and carnival rides. Friendship boats, Omni buses, World showcase films, and even things like cranium command and food rocks would fit into those categories. So yes the park does need more A-C attractions.

Bocabear

A-C ticket attractions are not limited to spinners carousels and carnival rides. Friendship boats, Omni buses, World showcase films, and even things like cranium command and food rocks would fit into those categories. So yes the park does need more A-C attractions.
No...It needs more real attractions...not transportation masquerading as an attraction, meet and greets or carnival rides... Cranium Command and Food Rocks were legitimate attractions in their day and part of a supporting cast in pavilions that already had other attractions...not stand alone shows meant to support the entire pavilion. Next I expect to hear that the vending carts and restrooms are A-C attractions...

peter11435

No...It needs more real attractions...not transportation masquerading as an attraction, meet and greets or carnival rides... Cranium Command and Food Rocks were legitimate attractions in their day and part of a supporting cast in pavilions that already had other attractions...not stand alone shows meant to support the entire pavilion. Next I expect to hear that the vending carts and restrooms are A-C attractions...
It’s needs a mixture of all. Major headliners AND a supporting cast of A-C attractions. The park is currently receiving two major attractions. It needs more of those but it also needs additional and updated minor attractions to be a well rounded experience. The end of your post is just you being ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom