News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Scrooged

I think that part of the reason on why it's not been done before is partially the copyright/Travers friction that still exists.

I think that was touched on somewhere within these past 264 pages... I can't remember anymore.

I plan on going back through this thread to try and find info about the rights of Travers’ books and IP and how it’s reflected in Disney property. I’m now interested in all the copyright issues involved with the Travers’ estate. Apparently there was a lawsuit in 2008 regarding how royalties would be paid to Travers’ charity trust Cherry Tree Lane. Apparently Travers’ death in 1997(?) lead to the questioning of royalty and rights for distribution expiry that was set in Travers’ agreement with Disney in 1960.... I haven’t been able to find any documentation regarding that contractual decision and I assume I won’t since it’s so closely associated with Disney. It’s amazing how labyrinthine these decisions are and how convuluted they are- purposefully so. The only reason I bring it up is I find it fascinating if these decisions impact the execution of Poppins rides/IP in the park.

I did find this court amicus from Britain regarding the royalties re: the musical and profit sharing. Interesting read.

If @MisterPenguin has any insights, I’d love to hear them. Then again this may be an offshoot of what the original thread’s intention is. So apologies for that.

Here is the British court brief: http://bkp2.telng.com/ftt/judgmentfiles/j7354/TC02830.pdf

wdwgreek

I think I said this a few hundred pages ago. A flat ride is not the worst thing for epcot. The park does not have any flat rides and you need some flat rides in a park to balance out the other attractions. Would I prefer a dark ride 10000000 % but a nicely done carousel wouldn't be the end of the world. I am hoping that Tokyo disneyseas carousel serves as a model of how it can be executed well. Fingers crossed.

ppete1975

I would not exactly say that EPCOT is "filled with D and E Attractions"...In World Showcase there is one B/C boat ride and one D ticket flume ride... in a year or so we will be getting another D/E ride.. but it is far from filled with attractions. The park is lacking attractions in general and was never even completed to their own original plan... Now if the UK pavilion had a Spinner (carousel) and a dark ride it would be great, but just the carousel is totally underwelming. When the day comes that they have added a couple world Showcase pavilions and each pavilion has some kind of attraction, THEN its time to add things like a carousel and some kiddie rides that adults won't find interesting.
Technically the original plan, had no rides. Unless you count transportation

Sir_Cliff

I think I said this a few hundred pages ago. A flat ride is not the worst thing for epcot. The park does not have any flat rides and you need some flat rides in a park to balance out the other attractions. Would I prefer a dark ride 10000000 % but a nicely done carousel wouldn't be the end of the world. I am hoping that Tokyo disneyseas carousel serves as a model of how it can be executed well. Fingers crossed.
I'm still not sure that a park needs flat rides, but I do agree that adding one here is not a travesty just a little underwhelming. A carousel set in a park in the UK pavilion at least kind of fits the theme, though I suspect it will count more as theming than an attraction for most people.

Adding the Aladdin spinner in Morocco would, however, be a travesty! 😮

Magenta Panther

I don't know that Mary Poppins is iconic anymore. Should be, probably, but I don't know that it's crossed the generational gap. It was never in my rotation as a kid (I'm 30) and I don't think my daughters have ever even heard of it.

Well, when the company that produced it has virtually ignored it for so long - not even building an attraction for it in its parks - that kinda thing can happen.

As for your daughters...have you tried introducing them to it?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Well, when the company that produced it has virtually ignored it for so long - not even building an attraction for it in its parks - that kinda thing can happen.

As for your daughters...have you tried introducing them to it?
No. I don't really like it, so I don't care to. That's kind of my point. With Cinderella, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, etc. I couldn't wait to show them whenever they were old enough. Couldn't care less about introducing them to Mary Poppins.

I know this is sacrilegious, but to me Mary Poppins is more relevant for the filmmaking than the film itself, if that makes sense. Similar to Avatar or Titanic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm still not sure that a park needs flat rides, but I do agree that adding one here is not a travesty just a little underwhelming. A carousel set in a park in the UK pavilion at least kind of fits the theme, though I suspect it will count more as theming than an attraction for most people.

Adding the Aladdin spinner in Morocco would, however, be a travesty! 😮
People in Morocco enjoy carousels and amusement rides as much as anybody else in the world... I think they could appreciate Aladdin's Magic Carpets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom