News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

The Empress Lilly

In a vaccuum, there is nothing inherently wrong with screens if they are the best way to tell a ride's story. The problem Universal runs into is having the screen based ride system mirrored with a different theme. Because they do this so often and across both parks the screen fatigue sets in. Nearly every new attraction has had a simulator component to it which becomes problematic. Disney runs the risk of this also taking hold. Take a look at the 10 rides in development at Disney and the 4 that have opened in the last 15 months:
  • Flight of Passage - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Na'vi River Journey - Screens are secondary driver of story
  • Slinky Dog Dash - No Screens
  • Alien Swirling Saucers - No screens
  • Battle Attraction - Screens are secondary driver of story
  • Millinnium Falcon Attraction - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - Screens/projections are a secondary driver of story (could be primary, TBD)
  • Ratatouille - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - Screens are the primary driver of story
  • Tron - Screens are the primary driver of story
Compounded by the closure of many non-screen attractions and shows in recent years.

And even the replacement of non-projection nighttime shows for projection driven ones, to use your division, secondary (RoL) or primary (HEA, ToL Awakenings).

Followed by projection driven experiences replacing physical driven ones:
Hotels (Star Wars hotel)
Restaurants (Space Restaurant)
Live entertainment (Tomorrowland theater)
Outdoor landscaping elements (Pandora)
AA's with projected faces (Michael Jackson Elsa, 7 Dwarfs)

And to think that it all started when Disney decided they were going to move away from screen based entertainment and bring it all to live in real physical settings!

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Kinda reaching there to call the subtle projections of light shifting on the mountains SCREENZZ!!1!1
Especially when the land itself is already heavily driven by physical props and effects. Painted pathways, blacklight lamps, glowing 'flowers'. Again, in this case the projections supplement the physical.

(Though I personally don't think the pandoran projections are all that great)

mhochman

IYHW was very much screen based.

It was famous for having the show audio played very loud to overcome the noise of the multitude of projectors used. If You Could Fly followed the same format. It was only Dreamflight that broke the mold with only 3 screens.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the original boat road in Mexico modeled slightly after the Delta rides (thinking of the last part when the people "haggled" with you to buy stuff.

**Sorry, I see this was discussed and now I see references to that in the youtube video above.**

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, wasn't the original boat road in Mexico modeled slightly after the Delta rides (thinking of the last part when the people "haggled" with you to buy stuff.

**Sorry, I see this was discussed and now I see references to that in the youtube video above.**
Yep. There was similarity with the 'Wings policeman / flamingoes corridor (what drugs were they on?)

nickys

Premium Member
So this is not true, correct? Sorry I didn’t mean to contribute to spreading misinformation.

There are plans for a ride in the U.K. First it was possibly to be Mary Poppins, as in it was one of the options. Then they settled on Brave. Then it was reversed and now it's to be Mary Poppins again. And we have sources saying it will likely be a dark ride.

That's just about where we are. I think!

splash1988

Sorry in advance since I know this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but just so I'm clear. Is it looking fairly certain that a Mary Poppins ride is coming?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry in advance since I know this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but just so I'm clear. Is it looking fairly certain that a Mary Poppins ride is coming?

Yes.

But... Disney always has the option of killing something, even if it's been budgeted and greenlit and announced and they even started prepping the site. It's happened before, quite recently, in fact, with regard to Main Street Theater.

splash1988

Yes.

But... Disney always has the option of killing something, even if it's been budgeted and greenlit and announced and they even started prepping the site. It's happened before, quite recently, in fact, with regard to Main Street Theater.

Thank you for saving me the time of reviewing all these pages of thread. And yes, unfortunately that's always an option. It was a shame about the Main Street Theater. I think it would have been a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom