News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd be fine if they blurred the lines between the two movies in the ride. I just think a Mary Poppins ride would be expected to be based on the classic, by most guests, regardless of the new film. But if it can capture the feel of Poppins and not just be a rehash of the current movie I'll be open to it.
I love The Sherman Brothers songs in the original movie.

Sped2424

It’s hard to hope one way or the other until after I’ve seen the movie. For all we know, half the songs will make a return (see what I did there), the movie will revisit old places (such as the chalk drawings and carousel horses), and then the chief difference in the ride will be in whether the Mary animatronics vaguely resemble Julie Andrews or Emily Blunt.

Heck, it’s supposed to be the same Mary, so they could feature scenes from both movies and get away with it so long as they keep the focus on her.
The new film will have new songs I don't believe the old ones will be making a return.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honestly, An AA likeness is never perfectly accurate anyway. As long as Mary still looks like Mary I'll be happy. And by that I mean; no better or worse than the current face characters portraying Mary in the park. It's not like the AAs in the late Great Movie Ride were close to accurate but the scene still played as expected. So long as we don't get a Trumpillary situation I think we'll be OK.

Last edited:

Kman101

I don't need to see DvD or an exact replica of Julie Andrews. Emily Blunt and young Julie Andrews are definitely comparable and I have no issue with a different Mary and I think they could probably easily merge the two. But I think the spirit of the first movie just lends itself so great to a dark ride, that it's disappointing they wouldn't go with a sure thing. The company who's afraid at times to take risks. Go figure basing a ride on a movie that's not even out yet. They're likely assuming the name popularity will be enough.

Not that I know much of anything about the new movie. I'm sure I'll like it, but will it be full of whimsy like the original, or more serious? I'm curious to see where it falls. It seems to be a bit more 'real' if you will. Not that that's bad. But maybe I'll be surprised, I hope so. I don't really know what to expect with 'Returns'.

You'd think they'd go with the movie, one of Walt's best, that's maintained popularity and that lends itself perfectly to a dark ride, that many have long wanted. So of course they don't do that. Unless @MansionButler84 is having fun at our expense. But I should know the current regime would want "current" IP, even though they're using the nostalgia of an 'old' IP ... ironic how that works ...

HauntedMansionFLA

I don’t see Chim Chim Cheree not showing up, at least in the score. That’s actually where I expect to hear most of the old songs if they pop up.
Richard Sherman is an advisor for the new movie. He seems like such a gentleman and will be an asset. He looks like the type that wouldn’t tell them how to score the movie but will be very positive with whatever direction they go. Emily Blunt already said she will put her spin on the character just like Broadway did.

Sped2424

I don’t see Chim Chim Cheree not showing up, at least in the score. That’s actually where I expect to hear most of the old songs if they pop up.
We'll start to see it because based off the orchestration I heard at d23 there are no callbacks like that. Rob Marshall kept emphasizing how he wanted this to feel like its own thing while still inspired by the original. The new music evokes classic Poppins but is not literally said material.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Honestly, An AA likeness is never perfectly accurate anyway. As long as Mary still looks like Mary I'll be happy. And by that I mean; no better or worse than the current face characters portraying Mary in the park. It's not like the AAs in the late Great Movie Ride were close to accurate but the scene still played as expected. So long as we don't get a Trumpillary situation I think we'll be OK.
Well, if you dressed up Trumpillary as Mary Poppins, I don't think anyone would notice. Just like when they put Jane in Pirates... ;)

Castle Cake Apologist

I hope it's based on the original film, not the upcoming sequel...
Please. They need to pick an actor we can actually name on these boards. All of us can type Lin-Manuel Miranda.
What if Returns is really good?

I just don’t want Streep.

If the film somehow bombs, I’m sure they’ll cancel this and build a Will Smith as Genie ride in Morocco or Beyoncé as Nala ride over by Germany.
I’m sure all of the classics would be in the queue music loop...

Geez, Kyle. You're really killing me here. 💀💀💀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom